PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Mode Help

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I am installing Windows XP on my Windows 7 Home Premium.
I am stuck on the part where you have to install. It is installing, but it has been stuck on " Installing Application... Please wait up to 30 minutes for the installation to complete." And it is blinking orange and red.

Its been doing this for almost 2 hours. Is there anything I could have done to cause that? Has anyone here ran into that problem?

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM
ugh, bump?

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM
You shouldn't be doing this anyway, because the operating system you are using does not normally support it. If you want to do it, stop being cheap and buy a copy of Professional or Ultimate. You are basically pirating a higher version of W7 (as well as pirating a copy of XP) by using this hack, and not to be a backseat moderator, but discussion of that is against the AUP.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I didn't pirate anything.

I legally own an XP CD. I am simply working around Microsoft's limitation to only certain versions of windows. All my OS's are genuine.

Regardless, I fixed it.

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I didn't pirate anything.
Yes you did pirate a feature from the Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate version.

I legally own an XP CD. I am simply working around Microsoft's limitation to only certain versions of windows. All my OS's are genuine.
It is not a limitation. That feature was exclusive to the Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions that you had to pay extra for. You did not pay for the XP Mode feature when you bought your copy of Home Premium, so by hacking it in, yes you are pirating.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM

It is not a limitation. That feature was exclusive to the Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions that you had to pay extra for. You did not pay for the XP Mode feature when you bought your copy of Home Premium, so by hacking it in, yes you are pirating.

I really don't think that constitutes piracy. Everything I am doing is 100% legal. Its my version of XP that I have been having for years, using software that I downloaded from Microsoft's site, and simply following instructions to install a VM for XP just like I would for any other OS. I can't see how that is piracy.

Geo
January 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
He is editing his own OS that he paid for, and is not using any 3rd party tools. I would think its safe to do this. As long as all the copies of Windows that he owns are legit, I would think hes free to use Windows XP mode if he wishes, just as long as he isn't pirating either of the OS's, which he clearly stated that he didn't.

AAA
January 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM

No offense, but if you continually post in a thread, don't want to help someone out, and constantly throw out unproven accusations, what's the point of posting?...

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I really don't think that constitutes piracy. Everything I am doing is 100% legal. Its my version of XP that I have been having for years, using software that I downloaded from Microsoft's site, and simply following instructions to install a VM for XP just like I would for any other OS. I can't see how that is piracy.
If you were to just install a VM using your previous copy of XP, then there would be no problem. But you are specifically wanting to use XP Mode, which is not a part of Home Premium without hacking. You are following instructions to hack Home Premium and add a feature it does not and should not support, how can you justify that? You did not pay for the XP Mode feature, so you are pirating, end of story.

He is editing his own OS that he paid for, and is not using any 3rd party tools. I would think its safe to do this. As long as all the copies of Windows that he owns are legit, I would think hes free to use Windows XP mode if he wishes, just as long as he isn't pirating either of the OS's, which he clearly stated that he didn't.
It is a hack that enables a feature in the Operating System that you legally have to pay extra for by buying a higher version of Windows 7. He is stealing that feature by getting it for free. XP Mode is not just a free version of XP for Windows 7, it allows for applications running inside the XP environment to visually run inside the W7 environment. Even if he owns a copy of XP, that does not give him the right to hack the XP Mode feature into his Operating System.

No offense, but if you continually post in a thread, don't want to help someone out, and constantly throw out unproven accusations, what's the point of posting?...
So this forum supports piracy now? I don't think so. I am not throwing out unproven accusations, it is perfectly clear that he is trying to get a feature that he did not pay for.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Its not piracy. I am using my own cd of the OS to make a Virtual Machine with Microsofts VM tool, which is a supported feature of Home Premium. What you pay for isn't the feature, its the XP OS, which I already purchased about 7 years ago.

I am not hacking, pirating, or playing god.

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
What you pay for isn't the feature, its the XP OS, which I already purchased about 7 years ago.
If you aren't paying for the feature, then why does it require a hack to use it in Home Premium? If that was the case, then you would just enter an XP key and it would allow you to use XP Mode, but it is not. You are wrong.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM
No, thats EXACTLY what it is doing. You are wrong. No hacking involved.

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 11:50 PM
No, thats EXACTLY what it is doing. You are wrong. No hacking involved.
Learn to read. Taken from the page:

Thus, with the necessary OEM:SLP product key and OEMBIOS files, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium users can manually install Windows XP on Windows Virtual PC guest virtual machine, and perform the steps in the hack below to create a Windows XP Mode with full integration features and functionality.XP Mode is not supported in Home Premium by Microsoft, because it is an extra feature that is only available in the higher priced versions. If it was supported (and legal), then you would not need this workaround.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I didn't use it for anything except instructions on how to create a VM, since I had never used the tech before.

XP Mode may not have come stock, but anyone can download the Windows Virtual PC program, and I already have an XP CD. I don't see what you don't understand.

Geo
January 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Notice that Microsoft made using Windows XP in WVPC pretty user friendly. Its a supported alternative, not a hack.

ShadowSpartan
January 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
XP Mode may not have come stock, but anyone can download the Windows Virtual PC program, and I already have an XP CD. I don't see what you don't understand.
XP Mode doesn't come with Home Premium because it is a feature you must pay for!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop.Well look at that, Home Premium is not listed. Keep telling yourself what you want, hopefully it helps you sleep better at night.

Heathen
January 27th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Why would they allow me to download it from the site if not for me to use it?

I choose to use it with my Windows XP that I own. No piracy, no hacks, no problem.

hobojoe
January 27th, 2010, 12:35 AM
It doesn't matter what OS he uses it in, a virtual PC program can be used
by anyone who own's the legal copy of that product.
Linux and other OS's have used this software for a longtime now.

Captain Pakundo
January 27th, 2010, 01:00 AM
This thread pretty much explains why I've almost stopped posting here.
Not because of anti-piracy policy, no.
Because some people will go off topic and call you a pirate, and post unneccesary things on the thread just to prove their case that xyz is a pirate (scum that needs to die or something).

Heathen
January 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Not to mention he is wrong too. That makes him wrong, rude, and making an ass of himself.

StankBacon
January 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM
what a fail thread, delete this garbage.

once again your asking for help on this forum when there are numerous other forums specifically catered to these type of questions. (like your iphone threads)

and you self bumped after waiting only 45 minutes, when im sure a google search or a search on a related forum would have gotten the results you were looking for.

beele
January 27th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Heathen, I Use the windows XP mode too, but I can strongly encourage you to use vmware, since my xp-mode is super laggy with text input (up to two seconds delay).

I think the better way to go is, get the vm-ware workstation trial, make a XP vm in there, de-install vm-ware workstation (keep your VM XP) and install the free VM-ware player and open your XP through that. (that is if you don't have to make any changes to your vm). Vmware has better unify support also ;)

Heathen
January 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
bacon, I perfer you guys' help over any other forum, and I solved this one on my own. I tried googling for about 45 minutes and couldn't find anything specific to my problem. It was something simple in the end and the only reason I kept the thread open was because ShadowSpartan was mistaken, and thought I was pirating something.

And Beele, it works PERFECT for me and does exactly what I want it to do so I am happy with this as it is. But thanks for the suggestion and if I run into any problems with this, I will surely take your suggestion.

p0lar_bear
January 27th, 2010, 04:11 AM
ShadowSpartan, Windows Virtual PC is free software for anyone with a legitimate copy of Windows 7, however it isn't compatible with Windows 7 Starter. Windows XP Mode, however, is only available to Professional or Ultimate customers, as it is basically an OEM version of Windows XP. Buy-one-get-one.

So, Heathen installing Windows XP on his Windows Virtual PC is perfectly legal. However, using that hack to mess with the OEM stuff seems like a big grey area, so I'm deleting that link in the first post.

ShadowSpartan
January 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
ShadowSpartan, Windows Virtual PC is free software for anyone with a legitimate copy of Windows 7, however it isn't compatible with Windows 7 Starter. Windows XP Mode, however, is only available to Professional or Ultimate customers, as it is basically an OEM version of Windows XP. Buy-one-get-one.

So, Heathen installing Windows XP on his Windows Virtual PC is perfectly legal. However, using that hack to mess with the OEM stuff seems like a big grey area, so I'm deleting that link in the first post.
The "tutorial" he linked to explained how to hack the XP Mode feature into his copy of W7 Home Premium, that is not the same as downloading a free copy of Virtual PC and installing a copy of Windows XP that he owned.

StankBacon
January 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
shadowspartan is right, even if you do install your own xp into a virtual machine, you wont get "xp mode" where you can run xp apps side by side.

you need oem bios files and and an oem key for it to work, meaning he is NOT using his legit xp key.

Skyline
January 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1430/27077931.png

Hack. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade)

Kalub
January 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
What's this Windows XP Mode all about?

ShadowSpartan
January 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
What's this Windows XP Mode all about?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

Kalub
January 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Oh that's cool I guess.

Heathen
January 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Right, but I didn't do the OEM stuff. I just used the beginning of the site as a tutorial to install a VM. I didn't ask for help with anything with the OEM stuff.

Besides, read the comments, apparently the links don't even work.

Maybe I may have been misunderstood, but its my fault. I'm not trying to set up XP Mode, but just an XP VM. If you look at my OP, I got snagged FAR before any of the hacking steps and I never even planned to go that far.

The "tutorial" he linked to explained how to hack the XP Mode feature into his copy of W7 Home Premium, that is not the same as downloading a free copy of Virtual PC and installing a copy of Windows XP that he owned.

You're right, I was mistaken when I said "XP Mode." I was just making an XP VM. I am new to this technology, so the terminology is a little fresh for me.

E: I just read it again, the hack uses Windows XP SP3 and I have Windows Professional, therefore it is impossible for me to even use this hack.