PDA

View Full Version : Sea World Trainer is Killed by Orca

paladin
February 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
CNN) -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. The woman, 40, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," Jim Solomons said.

But a witness told CNN affiliate WKMG-TV that the whale approached the glass side of the 35-foot-deep tank at Shamu Stadium, jumped up and grabbed the trainer by the waist, shaking her so violently that her shoe came off.

WKMG: Killer whale kills trainer (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22659901/detail.html)

A SeaWorld employee who asked not to be identified confirmed the description of the attack and added that the whale involved is named Tillikum.SeaWorld uses "Shamu" as a stage name for any of the male or female orcas in its shows.

"One of our most experienced animal trainers drowned" in the accident, said Dan Brown, vice president and general manager of SeaWorld Orlando. He said an investigation will be carried out.

"We'll make our findings known in due course," he said. "We've never in the history of our parks experienced an incident like this. All standard operating procedures will be reviewed." He would not elaborate.

"Please bear with us; we've just lost a member of our family," he said.

A patron who did not witness the event said the park refunded her entry fee, although a spokeswoman said the park remained open. Guest David Dalton told CNN affiliate WFTV, "All of a sudden, out of nowhere, two of the bigger whales just kind of flipped out, going as fast as they could in the water."

A spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called the death "a tragedy that didn't have to happen."

Jaime Zalac said the organization had called on SeaWorld "to stop confining oceangoing mammals to an area that to them is like the size of a bathtub, and we have also been asking the park to stop forcing the animals to perform silly tricks over and over again. It's not surprising when these huge, smart animals lash out."

In 2006, a trainer at the adventure park was hospitalized after a killer whale grabbed him and twice held him underwater during a show at Shamu Stadium. In 1999, Tillikum was blamed for the death of a 27-year-old man whose body was found floating on his back in a tank at SeaWorld, the apparent victim of a whale's "horseplay," authorities said then.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the man apparently hid in the park until after it closed and then climbed into the tank. The 11,000-pound, 22-foot-long whale was "not accustomed to people being in his tank" and "wouldn't have realized he was dealing with a very fragile human being," Solomons said at the time.

"He may have been a victim of what a whale would call horseplay, just playing around," Solomons said.

CNN's John Couwels contributed to this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html

Not sure if you guys heard about this yet. Its unfortunate.

Con
February 24th, 2010, 04:59 PM
In before Kyon's putrid bile

StankBacon
February 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
wow, killed by a killer whale, that's a shitty way to go.

rossmum
February 24th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Trust PETA to piggyback off of something like this.

It's a tragedy and all, but it's hardly surprising when wild animals kill their trainers. It's an occupational hazard.

CN3089
February 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
In before Kyon's putrid bile

Looks like that killer whale...

just killeHGUAHGLAUGHALUGHALGULA

paladin
February 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Trust PETA to piggyback off of something like this.

It's a tragedy and all, but it's hardly surprising when wild animals kill their trainers. It's an occupational hazard.

exactly. What do you think a wild animal will eventually do if you keep it cooped up its whole life.

Ganon
February 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
down with peta

skin that whale and turn it into candles

paladin
February 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Do anything to the whale wont prove/change anything. It doesn't know it did something wrong.

cheezdue
February 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Damn that sucks. Also I'm not surprised once an animal lashes out at somebody before, chances are that its probably going to happen again.

SnaFuBAR
February 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
iirc this happens every few years. they even faked this when i was a kid at seaworld, they pretended that a dolphin was drowning some guy then they were like LOL JK'ING~. kinda fucked up.

paladin
February 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Id would surprise me if this happened all the time. But I do recall an orca attacking a man about 2 years ago.

rossmum
February 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Do anything to the whale wont prove/change anything. It doesn't know it did something wrong.
That reminds me of something that happened here ages ago. A guy got killed by a Great White off a beach, but witnesses mistook the shark for a Grey Nurse. It was then open season on them until the government quickly pushed through various bits of legislation protecting them; they're still endangered from what I remember. They were almost wiped out.

The ironic thing? The Grey Nurse shark, despite looking pretty ferocious and having huge, fuck-off pointy teeth, is utterly harmless. You can swim right up to them and touch them and they go about their business without any aggression at all.

Bodzilla
February 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
the shape of their jaw makes it impossible to bite and do damage to large things, so they dont bother :P

also i remember that there was a Big fuck off Bronze whaler shark hanging around the coast that had been there for twenty years and never hurt a person, then some fucking moron goes and kills it and a new one moves into his old territory and starts taking chunks outta surfers

Warsaw
February 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM
^ I find that story most poetic.

As for the whale, release it. If you can't tame it, then let it go.

paladin
February 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, you can't release a captive animal into the wild when its been raised its entire life in captivity. Er, without months, if not years of rehap.

Bodzilla
February 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It'd only be poetic if it was the cockhead that killed the original one that got taken :/

chances are thats pretty unlikely though :(

rossmum
February 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
the shape of their jaw makes it impossible to bite and do damage to large things, so they dont bother :P

also i remember that there was a Big fuck off Bronze whaler shark hanging around the coast that had been there for twenty years and never hurt a person, then some fucking moron goes and kills it and a new one moves into his old territory and starts taking chunks outta surfers
Yeah, sounds about right. Fucking spearos.

Amit
February 24th, 2010, 10:54 PM
^ I find that story most poetic.

As for the whale, release it. If you can't tame it, then let it go.

The whale is 33 years old or something and has lived most of its life in captivity. It would drown in the ocean or be killed in other ways.

Kornman00
February 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
The bitch probably stole the whale's walrus friend's bucket, coo coo ca joo!

But yeah, shite thing :\

Bodzilla
February 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
It's just sad that we've taken these mighty powerful creatures and trained them until we've lost that perceived threat, that these creatures are very powerful, very smart and are able at any time they choose to do these things.

These things should never shock us, but for some reason we perceive that we are invincible and that this just wont happen, thats why it hits us so hard when it inevitably does.
Call it arrogance if you will.

maybe it's what helped us evolve to the state where in, by thinking we are better then other animals, or maybe it's a regression due to unrestrained domestic thought processors.

hmmm, who knows.

Con
February 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Apparently this is the third person the whale has killed. The first was a young trainer, and the second was a naked guy who snuck at night so he could live out his sexual fantasies. The problem with the whale is that it starts playing with the people but doesn't understand we can't breathe underwater like it can.

klange
February 25th, 2010, 01:31 PM
The problem with the whale is that it starts playing with the people but doesn't understand we can't breathe underwater like it can.
You mean not all? Orcas are air-breathing mammals. They can just hold their breath for ~10 minutes.e: Oops, Orcas are a member of the dolphin family. Much shorter air time. But my point remains, and is in fact furthered by this information.

paladin
February 25th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Lol

Phopojijo
February 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
You mean not all? Whales are air-breathing mammals. They can just hold their breath for hours.
About 10 minutes.

http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/brokenpromises/288617_orcafacts10ww.html

klange
February 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
About 10 minutes.

http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/brokenpromises/288617_orcafacts10ww.html
oh yeah, orcas are big-ass dolphins, oops *fixed* (whales are ~1-2 hours maximum, but are usually up every 10 minutes anyway)

SnaFuBAR
February 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Apparently this is the third person the whale has killed. The first was a young trainer, and the second was a naked guy who snuck at night so he could live out his sexual fantasies. The problem with the whale is that it starts playing with the people but doesn't understand we can't breathe underwater like it can.

orcas don't fucking "play" like that except for with food. seriously have you seen orcas feeding?

legionaire45
February 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
They should give it to the Japanese for "Research" purposes.

rossmum
February 28th, 2010, 07:18 AM
why

it's a fucking whale. it doesn't know better (unlike the japanese)

sleepy1212
February 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM
that whale is a terrorist
:realsmug:

for some reason this whole story reminds me of the Grizzly Man.

paladin
February 28th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Except the trainer didnt flaunt around with the whales say "eat me bear". The whale was more like, "tag your it, now lets go under water"

PopeAK49
March 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
This is not a surprise at all. I mean come on, do you really think a giant ass whale that hunts sea lions by almost beaching itself would not resort to that kind of violence? Cats should be the only pet in the world that people can own, which means....MORE PUSSIES FOR EVERYONE!!!

Con
March 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
ugh did I seriously say whales breathe underwater:suicide:
wasn't really thinking, but you know what I meant

anyway, you can't really blame the whale in this is what I'm saying