PDA

View Full Version : SCUBA

Cortexian
February 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I just got in from a family excursion out to a local indoor PADI SCUBA training center, we took a basic course to get a basic introduction to the gear and basic operation... Wow it was really very fun once I got the hang of it! Does anyone here SCUBA on a regular basis or have any previous experience with it? We took this course to get ready for our Caribbean cruise in March and I'll hopefully get certified before then.

Con
February 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Maybe I'd SCUBA dive if I lived somewhere with cool stuff to look at and the water wasn't so cold. For a vacation? No.

Might go sky diving this summer though...

Bodzilla
February 25th, 2010, 01:08 AM
i've done it before, but y'know ya get that having the great barrier reef off the coast, and great beaches

:D

Reaper Man
February 25th, 2010, 01:40 AM
PADI Rescue Diver + Nitrox 40% O2 qualified reporting in~

Specialized in:
Search & recovery
Photography
Navigation

Slowly logging more dives, so I can reach the 50 I need for Master Diver status.

Cortexian
February 25th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Reap would you happen to know if militarys use PADI certifications? Are there any other kind? I talked to my Canadian Forces recruiter just now and he said there was an optional SCUBA/Underwater Operations course that I can sign up for through the Reserves. Just wondering if that would get me PADI certification or if it's completely different...

What's the Nitrox certification for/let you do?

Good_Apollo
February 25th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I got certified in 1 day. Thank you Jamaican loopholes.

Shit is fun as hell and I frequently dive off Catalina and whenever I go somewhere fairly tropical. Been down 75 feet myself, wasn't bad at all.

Cortexian
February 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I got certified in 1 day. Thank you Jamaican loopholes.

Shit is fun as hell and I frequently dive off Catalina and whenever I go somewhere fairly tropical. Been down 75 feet myself, wasn't bad at all.
Certification course here is only 10 hours classroom, 10 hours pool, 4 hours open water... Done in a weekend, with the exception of the open water hours since there's no open water around here.

I was comparing SCUBA equipment vs Rebreather equipment at the shop, holy fuck price difference!

rossmum
February 25th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Dad used to dive a lot, although not for the past 5 years or so owing to bends (not his fuckup) and living 3 hours from the coast. I would like to try it, but so far all I've had a chance to do is snorkelling. Even that's pretty awesome; we had a pair of massive stingrays swim right under us.

Good_Apollo
February 25th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Certification course here is only 10 hours classroom, 10 hours pool, 4 hours open water... Done in a weekend, with the exception of the open water hours since there's no open water around here.

I was comparing SCUBA equipment vs Rebreather equipment at the shop, holy fuck price difference!Yeah...I spent a 20 minute lesson in a pool then took a written test and yet still got an advanced PADI certificate with wreck diving, deep diving, and cavern diving thrown in. Seriously it was that retarded easy. I wanna get nightdiving too but it looks like I'll have to get it the legit way.

Reaper Man
February 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Reap would you happen to know if militarys use PADI certifications? Are there any other kind? I talked to my Canadian Forces recruiter just now and he said there was an optional SCUBA/Underwater Operations course that I can sign up for through the Reserves. Just wondering if that would get me PADI certification or if it's completely different...

What's the Nitrox certification for/let you do?
PADI is the most common and probably most reputable diving qualification (to my knowledge) there are other organizations, but they are not as well known. I'm sure there are more specialized training organizations for things such as industrial diving etc.

Nitrox certification means you're trained to use an air mix of up to 40% oxygen (vs the 20% or so in regular air). This means that you can dive for longer in conventional depths (anything less than 18 or so meters). There are also specialized air mix courses for extreme deep diving.

Cojafoji
February 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
real men snorkel. with harpoons.

yargh.

Rob Oplawar
February 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Got my certification a few years back, went diving in Hawaii. Saw a manta ray that was literally 20 feet across. Fucking awesome. I love SCUBA. I would go more often if I didn't live in land-locked Colorado.

n00b1n8R
February 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Considering joining the university's scuba club, what with us living like 5 km off the great barrier reef. :realsmug:

Bodzilla
February 25th, 2010, 07:28 PM
how the crocs, sharks, jellyfish and complete lack of anything even vaguely resembling a surf swell treating you

*snicker*

n00b1n8R
February 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Didn't we have this chat a few years back which ended with doll saying something retarded about ranger-skin?

Bodzilla
February 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM
i think so.

Oh i remember.

Rangers can get a tan, they just dont Believe enough to try it out.

heh, good times.