PDA

View Full Version : Windows problem...*sigh*

Good_Apollo
March 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
So I foolishly decided to download yet another useless windows update today because I was tired of the damn message. I do it and reboot and voila, I can't login it says I need to activate Windows. I click okay and it then says Windows is already activated and proceeds to again log me out forcibly to repeat the process.

Safe mode does the same thing. I tried a glitch by pressing the Windows Key+U and getting to the desktop and removing the update with a program but no dice, it's the same thing still. Also, Restore does nothing but revert me to the login page again.

Advice?

mech
March 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Call microsoft. Have your cd key ready as well as the OS CD.

Good_Apollo
March 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
I tried and hungup. It was just transfer to transfer to people who ended up just saying "I don't know."

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
You got through after 10 mins?

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Sounds like your licensing information is screwed. I can't remember how I fixed it when I had the problem, though. It required getting to the desktop, opening a command prompt, and typing in something that put a lot of text on the screen when the license stuff was fixed. :-/

Then I had to reactivate with slmgr.

mech
March 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
This is the number I have down for product activation
888-571-2048

I also have this 1-888-447-2687

and
1800-936-5700

I also wrote this down from when the guy fixed my stuff by accessing my pc.

C\%windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\ Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

>ren tokens.dat tokens.bar
C\%windir%\system32
net start slsvc
cs
net stop slsvc

Maybe you can search for those codes. After he entered all that stuffed it wiped my registry and I was able to create a new one.

Good_Apollo
March 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Enter where?

I've searched around and it seems to be a pretty common problem but there appears to be different fixes for each case. None of the ones I've tried work so far...

Deleting or messing with wpabaln.exe (which I guess causes this) and certain registry files. Nothing so far...I'm trying a repair install now to see if that works.

mech
March 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
Enter that in cmd prompt. If you call them you'll be on the line for about an hour; however, you will get everything sorted out.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
I think Mech had the same problem as me.

Do this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/59fe5aa6-8207-419a-b147-9c5bcf129e54

1) Click Start button.
2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection servive may not be running, this is ok.
5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
8) Type: net start sppsvc
9) Type: slui.exe
10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.

Thank you,
Darin MS

Deleting Windows files to hide the error won't do anything. You're just putting salt on the wound.

Good_Apollo
March 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
I think Mech had the same problem as me.

Do this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/59fe5aa6-8207-419a-b147-9c5bcf129e54

Deleting Windows files to hide the error won't do anything. You're just putting salt on the wound.I get an error after entering net stop sppsvc "System Error 1060 has occured, the specified service does not exist as an installed service." None of the other commands work either. I don't get it. This is a pretty fresh install of Windows and everything was working fine the last month or so then bam, shitstorm. This must be Microsoft's sadistic way of pursuading me to buy their crappy Windows 7.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds like your Windows installation is screwed if the service isn't even available. You can't even do the "net start sppsvc" command? Are you running the commands in a leveled command prompt (Administrator)?

Good_Apollo
March 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'm already an admin so I thought that was redundant? I don't see how my windows can be a completely fresh install of a month's use with no virus, just downloaded steam stuff and it's suddenly screwed the second I download a windows update.

All because of Microsoft's shitty activation and genuine software bullshit.

Rook
March 1st, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm already an admin so I thought that was redundant?
I have no idea about your problem but for some programs you gotta right click and run as admin even if you're admin.

I think it's some security feature where a virus can't just hijack control of administrator or something.

Limited
March 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm already an admin so I thought that was redundant? I don't see how my windows can be a completely fresh install of a month's use with no virus, just downloaded steam stuff and it's suddenly screwed the second I download a windows update.

All because of Microsoft's shitty activation and genuine software bullshit.
Its Windows...anything can happen.

Fraid you might have to reinstall Windows =\

Cojafoji
March 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573

?

edit: i assumed that you were using vista.