PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is freaking cool.

Dwood
March 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
And deserves its own thread.

src:
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20100303/NEWS/100303027/-1/newsfront/26-000-in-laptops-stolen-from-South-Brunswick-Best-Buy

Police say a crew of thieves staged a real-life version of a Hollywood-style burglary, ala "Mission Impossible,'' when they lowered themselves into a Best Buy store to steal $26,000 worth of laptop computers all without touching the floor, triggering the alarm or being captured by surveillance cameras.

Sgt. James Ryan said the elaborate break-in began some time after closing at 11 p.m., when more than one burglar climbed up a 3-inch gas pipe on the side of the Route 1 store.

"The boot marks suggest more than one suspect scaled the pipe to get to the rooftop,'' Ryan said.

The crew then used a hacksaw to cut through a roughly 5-inch layer of rubber and insulation, and then cut a 3-foot-by-3-foot hole in the roof, he said. They apparently used some type of suction to pull the roof upward, rather than let it fall into the store.

Next, the thieves lowered themselves some 16 feet to the metal racks inside the store, remaining about 10 feet off the ground throughout the break-in, Ryan said. From there they reached a caged area in which the laptops were stored.

Ryan said the burglars used banners in the store to block themselves from security cameras, and somehow got about two dozen Apple laptops and their tools up to the ceiling without triggering an alarm. While they managed to evade motion sensors, he said, police found no marks to suggest the crew even touched the floor, suggesting "a high degree of sophistication'' and some advance scouting by the burglars.

"It definitely appears that they had very good knowledge of the store,'' Ryan said.

Employees discovered the break-in around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday when they saw debris on the floor and looked up to see a piece missing from the roof, the sergeant said.

Cortexian
March 4th, 2010, 03:58 PM
AGAIN?! This happened to one of the Best Buys up here in Canada except on a slightly larger scale, there was a larger hole cut in the roof and a small winch and lifting apparatus slowly lowered a pallet into the store warehouse. The burglars then stacked a bunch of large and expensive TV's and computers onto it and lifted it back out of the roof, I don't recall the rest of the story...

They're going to have to start putting barbed wire along the edges of the roof or something alone with external cameras.

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Pretty badass. I say let them keep the stuff now.

Warsaw
March 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
As bad as that is, it's fucking amazing.

Dwood
March 4th, 2010, 04:33 PM
AGAIN?! This happened to one of the Best Buys up here in Canada except on a slightly larger scale, there was a larger hole cut in the roof and a small winch and lifting apparatus slowly lowered a pallet into the store warehouse. The burglars then stacked a bunch of large and expensive TV's and computers onto it and lifted it back out of the roof, I don't recall the rest of the story...

They're going to have to start putting barbed wire along the edges of the roof or something alone with external cameras.

They did that without touching the ground? :O These guys got like $26,000 out of it. In 1 night.

26k overnight? That's more productive than my evenings.

sleepy1212
March 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm glad Ryan finally made it up to Sgt.

Hotrod
March 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
That is so badass! I mean, just the fact that they never even touched the floor is cool enough on it's own. The question I ask myself though, is how much did it cost to do this whole operation?

DEElekgolo
March 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM
and somehow got about two dozen Apple laptops
Nvm they suck.

Amit
March 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Holy fuck! This same shit happened to my local Futureshop. Same ninja moves, but no laser shit to avoid. They stole 60 Macbook Pros, the $2299 kind. The thing is that they got in through the roof of the Winners, cut a whole in the wall to Futureshop and went in like that. They somehow knew where to cut because they avoided wires.

Penguin
March 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Nvm they suck.

They stole to sell, not to keep. And the fanboys'll pay big for mac stuff.

Pretty clever to use banners as camo, shows the degree of attention to detail on it. I second the badassery, sir.

ICEE
March 4th, 2010, 10:48 PM
They probably work for microsoft. Punishing best buy for advocating heresy.

Amit
March 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
They probably work for microsoft. Punishing best buy for advocating heresy.

:lol:

Penguin
March 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM
:woop:

killer9856
March 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I want to do that!