PDA

View Full Version : [L4D] Fact: Valve doesn't care about L4D1

Aerowyn
April 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
This was sent to me by a friend.

Warning: L4D2 "The Passing" spoilers within.

http://sleekupload.com/uploads/5/boss_1.jpg

If you don't care to look: Valve is planning ONE more DLC pack for L4D1. And that's it. No more support. No more updates. Done. L4D officially becomes irrelevant.

WTG, Valve.

thehoodedsmack
April 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
How could they get something this wrong. Are there actually people who prefer the new cast to the old one? I'd gladly buy L4D3 if it had the old characters again.

Heaven forbid one of the TF2 actors dies/quits.

Ganon
April 22nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
No one plays l4d1, I don't blame them. L4d2 is tenfolds better anyway, besides characters that is.

Aerowyn
April 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
No one plays l4d1, I don't blame them. L4d2 is tenfolds better anyway, besides characters that is.

No one plays it because they don't support it. If they would just keep updating it, even just to patch bugs that have been around since release, more people would play. But by only offering up one more DLC and then washing their hands of the game, they're effectively killing it. And that's bad business.

And I still happen to think that L4D2 was unnecessary. They could've just kept patching L4D1 to make it the same quality of L4D2 and still make tons of money on it.

Ganon
April 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
No one plays it because they don't support it. If they would just keep updating it, even just to patch bugs that have been around since release, more people would play. But by only offering up one more DLC and then washing their hands of the game, they're effectively killing it.
0/10

You aren't even worth arguing with. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead_2#Post-release_reception) Hey everyone, l4d2 is $20.09 go buy it! (casual gamer: wow 5 dorra more than mw2 mappack?W XD WTF :P)

incase you didn't read that wikipedia segment:

Ars Technica praised the game's replayability and the attention put in every detail.[91] Libération, one of the French mainstream newspapers, also praised the game, commenting that Valve was one of the last game studios making games geared toward hardcore PC gamers.[92] IGN considered that the game improved on the first on every way, and that anyone who liked the concepts introduced by the first game should buy the second.Heck, maybe now you are wondering what all those words just said and why this loser is telling you to read it so I will elaborate

L4d2 = l4d1 Patch V2.0 for cheep!

They could've just kept patching L4D1 to make it the same quality of L4D2 and still make tons of money on it. I see your understanding of marketing and economics is still at a 6th grade halo fanboy's conception :[

But wait there's more... you say the characters in l4d1 were better?!?! y u racis/

later sweetheart

LlamaMaster
April 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
As Ganon already pointed out, L4D2 is leaps and bounds better than the first game. So much so that it's hard to think that I used to play a game with such a limited number of infected. I'm surprised that they are even bothering with releasing another update for L4D1. If anything, it shows that they do care. People could pretty much care less about the game by this point, but they are still releasing something for those that do. Yes, they should have released content before L4D2 came out, but I can't give a rats ass now considering how much better L4D2 is. Besides, L4D2 is $20 now. You would be retarded not to pick up the game for that.

Aerowyn
April 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
0/10

You aren't even worth arguing with. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead_2#Post-release_reception) Hey everyone, l4d2 is $20.09 go buy it! (casual gamer: wow 5 dorra more than mw2 mappack?W XD WTF :P)

Wasn't trying to argue, so you need to chill and stop acting like a fanboy yourself. I personally won't buy it because I stopped being interested after L4D1. Got too boring too fast, and without anything to freshen it up, it really just killed it for me. The prospect of buying the sequel just makes me yawn.

I see your understanding of marketing and economics is still at a 6th grade halo fanboy's conception :[

How long has it been since there has been a PERMANENT price cut on Team Fortress 2? Not as long as I can remember, anyway. They can charge the same amount of money because they CONTINUALLY ADD CONTENT. And more and more people buy it every single time, because new content is added so frequently. It's could have been the same concept with L4D, and it was originally intended to be, if you recall the interview Gabe gave before L4D's release.

It's proof-of-concept. If it works with TF2, it could work with L4D. :P

sdavis117
April 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
After playing L4D2 I have to disagree with both of you guys (Ganon and LlamaMaster). L4D1 feels like something Valve put their hearts into. I have had a lot of fun on it, it feels like a polished product. L4D2 though feels rushed and seems like they stuck everything they scrapped from the first game into. None of the new infected are really that fun in my opinion, the characters are BORING, the levels feel repetitive, and none of the weapons really seem unique because there is another weapon almost like that one.

ICEE
April 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
What they should do: Update l4d2 to contain l4d1 maps and characters, along with l4d2 SI.

Also, as far as the character arguments go: Nick is acceptable. got damn.

Sel
April 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM

^^

No one plays it because they don't support it. If they would just keep updating it, even just to patch bugs that have been around since release, more people would play. But by only offering up one more DLC and then washing their hands of the game, they're effectively killing it. And that's bad business.

And I still happen to think that L4D2 was unnecessary. They could've just kept patching L4D1 to make it the same quality of L4D2 and still make tons of money on it.

shut up

Wasn't trying to argue, so you need to chill and stop acting like a fanboy yourself. I personally won't buy it because I stopped being interested after L4D1. Got too boring too fast, and without anything to freshen it up, it really just killed it for me. The prospect of buying the sequel just makes me yawn.

How long has it been since there has been a PERMANENT price cut on Team Fortress 2? Not as long as I can remember, anyway. They can charge the same amount of money because they CONTINUALLY ADD CONTENT. And more and more people buy it every single time, because new content is added so frequently. It's could have been the same concept with L4D, and it was originally intended to be, if you recall the interview Gabe gave before L4D's release.

It's proof-of-concept. If it works with TF2, it could work with L4D. :P

shut up

ICEE
April 22nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
^^

shut up

shut up

shut up

Botolf
April 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I love and play both Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.

Oh shi, sorry guys, I see that I do not have enough demented anger within me to participate in this topic :saddowns:

Rook
April 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
As Ganon already pointed out, L4D2 is leaps and bounds better than the first game. So much so that it's hard to think that I used to play a game with such a limited number of infected. I'm surprised that they are even bothering with releasing another update for L4D1. If anything, it shows that they do care. People could pretty much care less about the game by this point, but they are still releasing something for those that do. Yes, they should have released content before L4D2 came out, but I can't give a rats ass now considering how much better L4D2 is. Besides, L4D2 is $20 now. You would be retarded not to pick up the game for that.

Also bashing l4d2 without even playing it, maybe log onto someones account and give it a try XD

EvilLilElmo
April 23rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
You guys are mad at Valve because they decided to make one more piece of DLC for Left 4 Dead before stopping, yet you're still mad at them for Crash Course because you felt that it didn't meet your standards. If Left 4 Dead 2 is so horrible why would you want Valve working on any DLC for the prequel at all? Surely you would realize that it wouldn't be the quality that you come to expect from Left 4 Dead in the first place.

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
well i think we can all agree the cast of L4D2 is lacking in something

as for L4D2 not being fun...thats a solid you're wrong

Inferno
April 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
If it bothers you that much don't play it.

The game is fine and even though valve is not releasing lots of new stuff the community is. So go get a nice custom map and forget about it.

flibitijibibo
April 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
God forbid an experimental franchise becomes a humongous success and requires a new game to get everything that they came up with for expansions. Where are your Portal 2 hate threads then?

L4D1 and 2 are both fun, quit your bitching and actually enjoy games for a change. Also, what Inferno said about customs.

Edit: Additionally,
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1086/derpo.jpg
I don't think the Midnight Riders are taking up that extra 2+GB...

=sw=warlord
April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
It's could have been the same concept with L4D, and it was originally intended to be, if you recall the interview Gabe gave before L4D's release.

If you want to go down that road, wasn't Left4dead originally going to be a mod not a full blown game like portal?
you see, that little card works both ways.

ICEE
April 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
to be honest, I think valve could've avoided all this hate by making l4d2 exactly as they have, but with the original cast. I think thats what sparked this whole "boycott" shit, justified by saying valve doesn't care about their game. I don't think the new cast is all that bad (with the exception of rochelle, shes boring as fuck), but ya'll oldfags are pissed that they scrapped the old guys.

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
to be honest, I think valve could've avoided all this hate by making l4d2 exactly as they have, but with the original cast. I think thats what sparked this whole "boycott" shit, justified by saying valve doesn't care about their game. I don't think the new cast is all that bad (with the exception of rochelle, shes boring as fuck), but ya'll oldfags are pissed that they scrapped the old guys.
not really, ellis and Nick provide a great relief with some of their dialogue. Coach is all around fun to listen to...its just Rochelle...you know, sucks

p0lar_bear
April 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
I forget who exactly said this to me (was Pooky or Sever I think), but I think Rochelle was meant to be a dry, bland, boring, unlikable character; she's wearing a Depeche Mode t-shirt. %-)

ICEE
April 23rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
not really, ellis and Nick provide a great relief with some of their dialogue. Coach is all around fun to listen to...its just Rochelle...you know, sucks

thats what I said... nick and bill and zoey are my favorite characters

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
thats what I said... nick and bill and zoey are my favorite characters
Nick, bill, ellis, coach, francis, louis, zoey

in order those are my favorite L4D characters. anyways i WAS a shame bill died...

in relation to "the passing" for soem reason SP wont load because something to do with francis' model not "precaching" properly :\

ICEE
April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
i was mad as hell about bill. I knew that if a character was going to die, it would be him, but he should've gone out in a cool way. He was obviously the most skilled person of the bunch, it doesn't really make sense to have him die when the others survive unless he's making a sacrifice for them (which would make sense because hes like 65 and their all young).

p0lar_bear
April 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
i was mad as hell about bill. I knew that if a character was going to die, it would be him, but he should've gone out in a cool way. He was obviously the most skilled person of the bunch, it doesn't really make sense to have him die when the others survive unless he's making a sacrifice for them (which would make sense because hes like 65 and their all young).

According to lines and autoresponses by Louis and Francis, he got splattered by a Tank while getting the bridge raised.

ICEE
April 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
he'll be back. there will be a dlc where they fix this atrocity. You'll see.

bravo22
April 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
When I played either L4D game with my friends, we never paid much attention to the characters' dialogues (we aren't native English speakers in the first place), so we really feel nothing about the cast having changed.

Guys, L4D2 is way better than L4D1, so it doesn't matter. Besides, L4D2 is priced cheaper than what a lot of retail expansion packs for other games are. For example many RTS games price their expansions at $30 or higher (at release I mean), yet L4D2 is a full-on sequel and it's less than $30 right now despite being out for less than half a year. Many other games can sit on shelves for over a year and still cost over $40.

I don't see any reason to boycott the game when it's been out for so long. I myself was somewhat opposed to the game when it was first announced since I did feel it was too early for a sequel, but after I saw how much new stuff they were adding I changed my views. Plus, over the december break Valve very generously offered the 4 pack for $100 (and the individual game for $33) even though the game was barely 1 month old then - is there really any reason to complain any more?

Oh yeah guys if you own both L4D1 and L4D2 there are mods that let you import the maps and character models over to L4D2 (since they use the same engine). So you can play No Mercy with melee weapons for example, if you love the L4D1 cast that much.

What they should do: Update l4d2 to contain l4d1 maps and characters, along with l4d2 SI.

Also, as far as the character arguments go: Nick is acceptable. got damn.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/20/modders-pump-l4d1-maps-into-l4d2/

ICEE
April 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Not a mod, an actual update. Besides, if you're not hearing(understanding in your case) constant announcements of nearby objects, your playing l4d wrong.

bravo22
April 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Not a mod, an actual update. Besides, if you're not hearing(understanding in your case) constant announcements of nearby objects, your playing l4d wrong.

well we do pay attention to the subtitles of dialogue like "pipe bombs here" or "I hear a witch," or "weapons here" etc but other than that, nothing else. We don't pay attention to the other types of dialogue so we don't really understand the "personalities" of the characters, hence we have no favorite or least favorite characters. Whereas when I play with university friends in Toronto, I was quite surprised to see people arguing over who gets to play a certain character.

my friends and I went to an international school that teaches primarily in English so our English is competent enough for us to understand most game dialogue but outside of class we almost never use English hence we rarely pay attention to the English dialogue in L4D. It would be awesome if Valve could translate the L4D2 dialogue into Arabic or Hindi, lol.