PDA

View Full Version : Air Rifles...

Hunter
May 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Does anyone on here own an air rifle and know how it works?

Or

If you do own an air rifle could you record a video of the following part whilst you cock the weapon...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/P100516_142133.jpg

Because my mates has broken and we can't seem to get the part to go back in and work, basically when we cock it you have to press a button to release it, then you cock it to push the piston back but it will not snap back into place and lock the barrel again and the button no long works.

The problem is this part:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/P100516_150534.jpg

SnaFuBAR
May 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
you're an idiot if you try to fix it yourself. send it to the manufacturer for repair. the cylinder can blow up if you don't do it right, and i really doubt you have the skills or tools to do this.

Hunter
May 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
dammit, will take it somewhere tomorrow to get it fixed. Sucks, all that we where doing was cocking it and firing then it randomly did that :/

Cortexian
May 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My air rifle was semi-automatic and powered by C02, can't really help since that doesn't even look familiar at all... But Snaf is right, take it to a gun smith or send it in to get fixed.

Hunter
May 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Thought it would of been simple, sort of had an idea of how it should be fixed but couldn't do it :/ It is spring powered.

rossmum
May 18th, 2010, 01:16 AM
If it was an actual rifle, I could probably help you; unfortunately I have literally zero idea how the fuck air rifles work and have never even touched one, so yeah. I'd follow Snaf's advice.

Warsaw
May 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Air rifles are more dangerous to work on because of all the compression components that are absent on a real gun. A real gun isn't really dangerous without ammunition at hand. An air rifle can blow up in your face, so to speak.

EX12693
May 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
It's a spring air rifle... wont blow up in yer face unless cocked. I've worked on these (not much though) but some more pics would help...

Warsaw
May 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Think about what you just said. It's a spring rifle. Trust me, the springs in these air rifles are strong enough to cause some serious damage if reassembled improperly, because they are the source of the weapon's energy (first-hand experience). Correct me if I'm wrong, Hunter, but this is not an airsoft gun. This is a true BB gun/pellet rifle.

rossmum
May 21st, 2010, 01:25 AM
Vaguely related: never strip a Minimi or (any other modern machinegun) without firing the action off. Someone did this at Kapooka and ended up with a lovely big red imprint of the drive rod's arse end on their forehead - that thing is under a lot of tension when the weapon is cocked.

I heard from one of my ex-US Army friends that the Mk19 is even worse, that thing could do some serious damage.

Cortexian
May 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
EX, even though a spring air rifle doesn't have the compression issues that pneumatic or gas air rifles do, they're still dangerous to disassemble yourself for the reasons stated by Warsaw and Rossmum... Hell, the springs in most quality airsoft rifles pack enough power that if the spring tension isn't released before disassembly they'll send parts flying everywhere at speeds that could take out an eye with no problem (airsoft rifles fire BB's at anywhere from 300-500 FPS after all, where do you think that power comes from)?

The action rods on our new Browning have some SERIOUS spring power behind them in order to cycle the bolt forward after the gas cycles it backwards, I wouldn't want to see what that would do if it was compressed and released.

EX12693
May 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
I was talking of a different 'blowing up' as in a compressed air or co2 gun. I had an air gun hooked up to a hose I thought wasn't live . It was.
Learned my lesson real quick that day... and that's an understatement.

I'm also not an idiot. You don't need to tell me where the energy comes from. Why the hell would you try and disassemble a spring air rifle while it's still compressed??? That's just stupid.

SnaFuBAR
May 22nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
check what he said. if reassembled improperly. not disassemble while compressed.

EX12693
May 22nd, 2010, 02:53 AM
That's also stupid. Your point is irrelevant.

Anyway, moar pics?

TeeKup
May 22nd, 2010, 02:57 AM
That's also stupid. Your point is irrelevant.

Anyway, moar pics?

What a minute...what?

EX12693
May 22nd, 2010, 03:08 AM
I want more pics of the broken part.

Cortexian
May 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I want more pics of the broken part.
I'm pretty sure Teeky was referring to your idiotic comment that our points are irrelevant, when in fact the only thing irrelevant in this thread is all your posts. All you're doing is saying what I say in slightly different words and then making it out to be some stroke of genius.

You remind me of this guy:
2B9MqNzQuuk

Con
May 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Please stop arguing like children, both of you.

EX12693
May 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thank you. Now I hope we didn't scare Hunter away...

Tell us what happens ! :)