PDA

View Full Version : Natal is now called "Kinect," but still only plays shitty games

Ifafudafi
June 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
USA Today jumped the gun and posted a reveal on their website. They've redacted it but naturally every major gaming site on the internet has seen it by now.

There's no need for conjecture; Microsoft's upcoming motion control peripheral, once known as Project Natal, is now to be officially known as "Kinect".

"For lots of people, [the] controller is a barrier," Microsoft creative director Kudo Tsunoda told USA Today. "We set out to make a new control paradigm where anybody can get in and play, without having to read the instructions or learn a complicated set of controls."

In addition to the rebranding, a number of Kinect titles were also revealed in the USA Today report, including a Star Wars game from Lucasarts, a Disney game, a dance title from MTV, a pet-training title, a Wii Sports clone called "Kinect Sports" (which we believe Rare is developing), an adventure sports game and, as expected, the return of Joyride as a motion-controlled game.

So we're getting a cat simulator and a few minigame compilations? Way to innovate, Microsoft

Still, maybe that Star Wars game can have motion-controlled Force powers and lightsaber duels; a lot to hope for but you never know

Kornman00
June 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
So we're getting a cat simulator and a few minigame compilations? Way to innovate, Microsoft

Everything takes time. Time to learn, time to develop, time to produce, time to sell. You didn't see Halo Reach come out right when the Xbox 360 came out. A tool is only as good as it's user. It will be up to game developers to really push this with what it can do, just like it's up to them to push the consoles with their engines.

Limited
June 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Kinect? Thats even worse than Natal.

Con
June 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
fail

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/7646/1276535745965.gif

Warsaw
June 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Any Star Wars game with Natal Kinect needs to be first-person. I want to duel Darth Vader like in that one cabinet arcade came that I can't remember the name of.

Kornman00
June 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Con: are you suggesting they animated that display instead and just had him act out the animations to give the appearance of it working?

I want to duel Darth Vader like in that one cabinet arcade came that I can't remember the name of.
fffffffffffff, I remember that arcade game, albeit not the name neither. The arcade place a couple miles down the street had it 4 years ago...but I haven't been there in 4 years.

so instead I googled:
PIreJ4K8gUQ

Cojafoji
June 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
call me when the make a holodeck. till then, i'll stick with wasd and my mouse.

SiriusTexra
June 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Lolling hard at Cons post.

Kinect, now with mind detection.

Warsaw
June 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Con: are you suggesting they animated that display instead and just had him act out the animations to give the appearance of it working?

fffffffffffff, I remember that arcade game, albeit not the name neither. The arcade place a couple miles down the street had it 4 years ago...but I haven't been there in 4 years.

so instead I googled:

That one, yes. It's actually the last stage in an X-Wing/Snowspeeder/etc. game if I remember correctly. With Kinect, we can possibly have one not on rails. Rails suck. I don't like them.

Kornman00
June 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
WOol_XXR4yg

paladin
June 14th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Damn you Cirque du Soleil gtfo out of my Marrymoore Park

Cortexian
June 14th, 2010, 11:58 PM
In the future, with much revision and polish, I could see this working for melee combat and even shooter genres... Similar tech will also add to the interaction bandwagon everyone is jumping on to, my Alienware laptop for example uses facial recognition to log me into Windows. If I set it on a specific setting it will also log me off if my image leaves the camera view, and even switch to other users that have their faces enrolled with the facial recognition software.

I could see laptops and desktops using webcams (with built in depth sensors) to record gestures in addition to the mouse and keyboard. You could scroll web pages with gestures, switch between windows, etc.

thehoodedsmack
June 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Thank God for Leo, and thanks for that video, Korn.

One of the few tech reviewers I've seen that insists on in-depth understanding of the product, and not just scripted announcement speak.

Kornman00
June 15th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Thank God for Leo, and thanks for that video, Korn.
heh, I actually only stumped upon it when an article I was reading had a link to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE) (non-game related). Was only on the 1st degree of separation. Remembered that this thread didn't have a video to go with it and so I thought I would c&p it

Shock120
June 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
omg, omg Kinect is soo cool, I can beat your face online with my own hands. :neckbeard:So, I see Xbox360 is now a powerful Wii with HD or Sub-HD games, too bad it doesn't interest me one bit.

ThePlague
June 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM
"I can actually corpse hump people now. it actually feels like their face is touching my balls."

srsly

DarkHalo003
June 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
If they incorporate Halo into this somehow, I might just try it. Anything else, I completely pretend like it's on the bottom of my list.

Donut
June 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
i dont know about you guys, but i am looking forward to making all sorts of rude gestures on xbox live.

sevlag
June 20th, 2010, 09:32 AM
i wonder if you can moon people?

Jean-Luc
June 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I feel like I'm in the minority here who sees the potential of this device rather than simply dismissing it as a children's toy. The "Your Shape" and "Dance Central" demo's are already phenomenal technology demonstrations (and DC looks like amazing fun).

Quite frankly, I'm impressed and I'm hoping additional prominent developers start looking into it. I'll take this tech over 3D gaming any day.