PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirus Questions

Alwin Roth
June 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
So I'm looking for some good anti-virus programs that wont really slow down my computer.

I usually used Mcafee, but want to use something else.

I stumbled upon AVG though, it looked pretty neat,
I would only want to get the free version, would that actually help?

Any suggestions?

Futzy
June 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
AVG and McAfee are both terrible.
Use either avast or Windows Essentials (I use this now). But of course its better to rely on not doing anything stupid than relying on anti virus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Timo
June 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
AVG will rape your computer, use MSE.

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
ugh, AVG. Used it for a while, major pain in the ass. Switched to Avira after next reformat, no problems since.

Go with Avira or MSE, both are quite good.

Amit
June 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
AVG will rape your computer, use MSE.

Seriously? The Microsoft solution is good? I've been using AVG for 3 years now and never had a virus issue, but it eats up a lot of CPU power when running scans.

Timo
June 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
AVG scans pretty much stopped me playing any games on my old computer. MSE is as good as any other. It doesn't bother me for updates, doesn't throw out popups etc. Just does its job.

StankBacon
June 16th, 2010, 11:26 PM
never had a problem with avg on any of my computers.

Cojafoji
June 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Avast is a nice free one. It's light, and it works. Been using it five years, and I've never had a problem. Though it's easier to just not click on anything suspicious tbh.

NullZero
June 17th, 2010, 02:29 AM
MSE, Eset, Kasparsky, even norton won't rape your computer anymore! Quite a choice range. If you're looking for a good free solution, then go with MSE.

jcap
June 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report26.pdf

sleepy1212
June 17th, 2010, 07:53 AM
even norton won't rape your computer anymore!
really!? i don't think i'll ever trust them again.

I've been using AVG on two computers (XP and w7) for a while now and have no problems at all. just set auto scans for when you are never on your pc.

Amit
June 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't trust Norton to protect my shit. I would consider it spyware since all it does is give you shitty protection and then bother you when your subscription is expired and when anything on your computer is executed. AVG is the way to go.

Limited
June 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
AVG all the way. You shouldnt use your pc when your scanning anyways, it can conflict with things, why the heck would you want to go play games while testing o_O.

jcap
June 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
AVG is worse than Norton for protection. The reason it never gets in the way is because it doesn't do shit. Take a look at that PDF. Microsoft's solution is at the top.

Limited
June 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Have that fixed that issue, wheres its impossible to fully remove Norton?

sleepy1212
June 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Have that fixed that issue, wheres its impossible to fully remove Norton?

hrmf...already had 360 installed and uninstalled. still have liveupdate running on my processes no matter how many times i delete Norton files.

Shock120
June 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
It's probably a running as service or system, try finding it in services.msc and disable it.

Cojafoji
June 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yeah... Looks like avast has gone a little to the wolves...

Those Czech fuckers used to do this well...

Maniac
June 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
No mention of Malware Bytes?
I have never paid for the realtime protection (its cheap) but the free removal tool is the recommended remover on most serious computer help forums/threads.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

jcap
June 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Malwarebytes is only good after you've been infected and screwed by a virus. You could have a virus and not even know it. Those are the ones that end up sending the spam emails you get in your inbox. Real-time protection protects against that.

Norton has always been able to be fully removed by using the Norton Removal Tool. http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Maniac
June 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Have you tryed paying for the realtime protection from MalwareBytes?

Aerowyn
June 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I usually used Mcafee, but want to use something else.
I stumbled upon AVG though, it looked pretty neat,

NO, and no.

I used AVG for a long while, and it had worked out okay for me.... until I got home from college and realized that AVG had STOPPED working, and STOPPED scanning about 3 months prior. Which is lovely, you know, especially since I need virus protection.

I use a combination of Avast (which is awesome, I can't believe I used AVG for so long) and Malwarebytes (I use this after I download stuff, generally, it picks up a lot of things antivirus misses).

DarkHalo003
June 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is a good, basic anti-malware system made specifically do destroy the worst of the worst common malwares. It works best when in Safe mode and when you figure out how to use it to its full effectiveness (rename the program .exe when you get it and compliment it with HiJackThis) it's probably one of the better ways of dealing with difficult viruses.

For an AntiVirus, I use McAfee and I keep hearing mixed reviews about it. I used to hear it worked well with your computer, but recently I've heard it clogs stuff up. Before I used Norton and Symantec (two-three years ago) and it was awful, but I've also heard lately that it has vastly improved and can be dependable.

sleepy1212
June 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Norton has always been able to be fully removed by using the Norton Removal Tool. http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

That's how i got rid of 360.

Limited
June 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Jcap, that still doesnt remove it fully, you have to jump through hopes to completely get rid of it, includes editing registry manually.

Futzy
June 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Or you could just back up and format. Its better to do that anyway.

InnerGoat
June 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Jcap, that still doesnt remove it fully, you have to jump through hopes to completely get rid of it, includes editing registry manually.

They do that as punishment for not using MSE in the first place.

AVG? No thanks, I'd rather have something that actually works (MSE / HJT / MalwareBytes) :)