PDA

View Full Version : Music Organizer

CrAsHOvErRide
August 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Us programmers often have one problem:
"What to code?"

So I had the idea of a music organizer since I like to keep my music organized. I don't know any software out there that does it. If you do, please post here. So here is the idea:

I want to create a software that scans for music files and automatically organizes them via their meta data into a folder structure like:

Music
--Band
---[Year] Album Name
----Songs

So, my question is: Would this kind of software be useful to you? Do you know any software that automatically organizes your music files for you?

FRain
August 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I dont know about anything that does it automatically folder-wise, which would be helpful, but I know iTunes and many others sorts it in-player.

CrAsHOvErRide
August 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah. I want it copy-pasta folder-wise.

ThePlague
August 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I do that by myself. Except I just do Artist-album name. It'd be kinda handy though.

paladin
August 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I would enjoy this, until it fucks up and have to manually change 4k songs.

PlasbianX
August 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I do this myself too. Have mine setup as Music -> Artist -> Song

Always a pain though when I gotta go in mp3tag and edit all the data on each song though :x

Aerowyn
August 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I want to create a software that scans for music files and automatically organizes them via their meta data.....
So, my question is: Would this kind of software be useful to you? Do you know any software that automatically organizes your music files for you?

I normally get my songs from online, and a lot of the time they don't have meta data. If this program had a way for you to easily edit the meta data while organizing, then yeah, I'd use it.

CrAsHOvErRide
August 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah a meta editor would be included. If I could find a system, I could even implement an auto search feature like most music software.

Llama Juice
August 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
iTunes has an organization thing where it'll sort your music by artist->album... you just have to enable it.

When you drag a song into iTunes it'll create a copy of the .mp3 in the iTunes music library and use that copy to keep everything organized.

Kornman00
August 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah I'm with Juice, I use iTunes for media management (except it fails at .mid editing)

Xerax
August 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Yeah I'm with Juice, I use iTunes for media management (except it fails at .mid editing)
I like Zune Player the most. But did you say .mid? Thats the system xbox uses. FMIM header with a WMA. Stored on a .mid on Partition3. (i know you knew that Korn, it wasn't for you ;)) mhmm, giving someone an idea?

n00b1n8R
August 17th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I'd appreciate it if it could scan through my files and find duplicate songs too, I've got multiple albums from several bands including "Best Of's" and I'm sure I missed a few.
Then just a pop-up at the end of the process asking me what to do with each instance (and an apply for all option).

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I did not know that the iTunes software can do this. I use myself the Zune software as well and none of my friends uses iTunes (more like WinAmp or other more lightweight players). Support would only be MP3.

StankBacon
August 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
itunes can scan all your music and put them in folders and find dupes.

too bad itunes is shit for everything else.

Cojafoji
August 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Winamp. Been using it since the dawn of time. Has autotag, and the library functions are ok. ID3 Renamer is what I used for my batch "musical holocaust" a couple years ago. Synchs tags, adds tags from file names, and vice versa, and even has a music tagging database.

Don't really know why you'd need anything more than that.

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Guess I'll go back reversing some Halo functions then xD

Thanks guys =)

Inferno
August 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hey crash. Could you make a program that takes the ID3 tag of a song and changes the name of the song to the ID3 tag? Itunes fucked my entire library and every song is a random string of 4 letters but the ID3 tags are intact.

:-3

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
That would be quite simple to do.

Inferno
August 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'd do it by hand but I have +2000 songs in my library so........

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Do you want to manually drag and drop the songs in there or do you want the app to scan the folder and all sub folders? Well doesn't really matter since you could use Windows Search and then select all MP3 files.

Llama Juice
August 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
@Inferno.

The only way I ever solved that problem was using my iPod and an iPod ripping tool, rather than just going into the iPod and pulling the songs off manually.

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/TagToName/TagToName1.png

5mins of work and of course TagLib Sharp. I can see myself redoing my whole cluttered MP3 naming convention :-3

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 07:50 PM
www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/TagToName/TagToName.rar (http://www.modacity.net/forums/www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/TagToName/TagToName.rar)

Drag and Drop the files you want and click the button. Try it first on a single file to see if it works. Files with no track name will be skipped. For 3000 files give it some time to load.

I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY WHAT SO EVER. I DID IT ON MY LIBRARY AND IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY. IF YOU WANT TO BE 100% SECURE, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/TagToName/TagToName2.png

Syuusuke
August 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hey Zune filetypes!

CrAsHOvErRide
August 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
been there since day 1

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/MahZune.jpg

The display had a crack after 2 years. I took it out and the battery lasted even longer. Ipod can't touch this. 4 years.

Syuusuke
August 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
My god, mine only lasted a year after being brutally used by me.

Nice little app, most of the tags in my mp3 are already = to the ID3 tags, but this is nice to have.