PDA

View Full Version : Remember remember, The 5th of November.

=sw=warlord
November 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawks night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night) tonight.

RedBaron
November 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone not in the States head out and have yourself a drink.

Amit
November 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Fuck yeah. V day, motherfuckers.

thehoodedsmack
November 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Someone set off a firework outside. I wasn't sure what for until this thread reminded me what day it was. Worst excuse for a celebration, in my opinion.

=sw=warlord
November 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Someone set off a firework outside. I wasn't sure what for until this thread reminded me what day it was. Worst excuse for a celebration, in my opinion.

Worst excuse as opposed to what?
The celebration is more long the lines of what could have happened had the plot carried through, what was lost and what was saved.
The gun powder plot was to destroy the houses of parliament and kill King James 1st, had it gone through I wonder what Britain would be like now.
The events then, aren't much different to today's "terrorist" plots, their both designed to send a message to a certain group through violence.

thehoodedsmack
November 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Worst excuse as opposed to what?
The celebration is more long the lines of what could have happened had the plot carried through, what was lost and what was saved.
The gun powder plot was to destroy the houses of parliament and kill King James 1st, had it gone through I wonder what Britain would be like now.
The events then, aren't much different to today's "terrorist" plots, their both designed to send a message to a certain group through violence.

Personally, I don't like most, if any holidays.

I understand the origins of the event, but to me, making a celebration on the basis of "what ifs" doesn't seem that big a deal. I've just finished some further reading into its origins, and the initial celebrations appeared not to be focused on the idea of defending against insurrection and domestic terrorism, but amounted to a state-recognized day of anti-Catholic expression. If the holiday had an appropriate history, I probably wouldn't be as turned off by it.

Furthermore, I have reason to believe that the gentlemen igniting fireworks outside my window are celebrating an event they've learned of exclusively through the film "V For Vendetta". And I would go on to contend that almost anyone making a similar celebration in south-western Ontario is doing so under the same misguided enthusiasm.

Edit: For further example, a celebration I consider worthwhile is the Movember movement. It's been around long enough that ever November I recall the serious medical problems which effect men worldwide. On the other hand, the "I like it on..." women's awareness idea we saw a while back isn't something I would call worthwhile, because it is such a forgettable idea, which died out rather quickly. However, if they kept it up year after year, who knows.

I don't disregard the idea that if I lived in Great Britain of somewhere else where this holiday is observed more frequently, I would be more accepting of it. But for a Canadian citizen, not such a big deal.

Llama Juice
November 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for reminding me. i forgot the 5th of November.

Limited
November 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Its basically our own modern day 4th July...I was traveling so did jack shit however I saw alot whilst on the motorway, plus it was Snaf's bday yesterday.

Futzy
November 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
V for Vendetta was a good movie.

=sw=warlord
November 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM
V for Vendetta was a Excellent movie.
This.
Each year I watch V for vendetta on the 5Th nov, just seems fitting.

Guardian
November 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
V for Vendetta would have to be my fav movie. The comics got a lot more in it though.

n00b1n8R
November 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Terrorism is something to celebrate?

=sw=warlord
November 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Terrorism is something to celebrate?

Not really, but you see event's each year "commemorating" certain event's which given certain perspectives could be considered terrorism.
The only difference then to now is that the people who were involved in the plot weren't trained in Afghanistan or under Al-Qaeda.
One man's fight for freedom is to another man, an act of terrorism, another man's order is another's subjugation,The list goes on.
This celebration is to celebrate the event's that took place and the lesson learned after.

If you care to look up the gun powder plot and find out what the bon fire fight celebration is about you might get to know just what it's about.