PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 question

§partan 8
November 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I wanted to know if I can format my hdd and install a Clean copy of windows 7. I use to have windows vista and I bought windows 7 upgrade online. Just wondering do I have to install vista again and do the upgrade or can I just find a windows 7 install and skip installing vista.

hobojoe
November 15th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Well it depends on if you bought the upgrade or the full version.

If you bought the upgrade you have to have a installed version of windows on your PC to allow the program to run.
If you have a normal installation version you may start from scratch.

Check your receipt where ever you bought your copy to see what version you purchased.

§partan 8
November 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I bought the upgrade. It was the thing microsoft had that students got a discount on the upgrade. windows 7 upgrade for $30

hobojoe
November 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Well tip for you: Reinstall Vista and then boot from you windows 7 installation DVD. When you come to partitioning part you can choose to either:

A. Reformat that partition and make a new installation.
B. Install a new version of windows alongside your previous installation. ( It moves windows Vista to a folder called Windows.old )
C. Upgrade from your Vista installation keeping any files you may have.

But from the sounds of it you don't need to keep anything, those are just some of the many ways to install windows.

§partan 8
November 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Alright man thanks for the help. I just reinstalled vista and then the upgrade everything is fine now. thanks again

RedBaron
November 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get the full installation version of W7 legal or otherwise. (You should be able to find both ways). All you really need from paying that $30 is your product key. You could even borrow the full installation disc from a friend and just plug in your own key.

BobtheGreatII
November 17th, 2010, 01:47 AM
No Dude. With the student thing, you just download the image and burn it to a disk. Then you can do a clean install. Even if it's an Upgrade. All mine are the exact same. No need to install vista. I have 3 copies of it from the student deals.

Amit
November 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I bought the full version of 7 Professional 64-bit for $10CAD from my university's bookstore. Pretty awesome how cheap it is these days. Its just lying around, though. I already have Ultimate installed on the 6 computers.

Limited
November 18th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Or, you could ignore these baboons who don't know what their talking about, (hobojoe).

You can clean install Windows 7 upgrade, I've done it numerious times.

Put the disk in and install like usual, however when it asks for serial key, do not enter it. Also untick the automatically active Windwos when I'm online box.

Then once you've logged in and all that jazz, reboot, the reason for this is to make sure their are no updates pending. So then once the computer has logged back in, to go the registry editor (Start > Type 'regedit') then navigate to this key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE"

On the right side you will see a value called MediaBootInstall, it will currently be 1. Change this to 0.

Next close regedit and open up a command prompt, you will need to be admin for this part. Type the following:
slmgr -rearm.

This basically rearms the activation status, now you can reboot the computer and then activate using your upgrade key, to easily do this just press Start and Type 'Activate Windows' in the run/search box.

Bingo!

By the way, if you had searched for this, you would have found my thread asking about it...

Amit
November 18th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Or, you could ignore these baboons who don't know what their talking about, (hobojoe).

You can clean install Windows 7 upgrade, I've done it numerious times.

Put the disk in and install like usual, however when it asks for serial key, do not enter it. Also untick the automatically active Windwos when I'm online box.

Then once you've logged in and all that jazz, reboot, the reason for this is to make sure their are no updates pending. So then once the computer has logged back in, to go the registry editor (Start > Type 'regedit') then navigate to this key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE"

On the right side you will see a value called MediaBootInstall, it will currently be 1. Change this to 0.

Next close regedit and open up a command prompt, you will need to be admin for this part. Type the following:
slmgr -rearm.

This basically rearms the activation status, now you can reboot the computer and then activate using your upgrade key, to easily do this just press Start and Type 'Activate Windows' in the run/search box.

Bingo!

By the way, if you had searched for this, you would have found my thread asking about it...

I was going to suggest something like this, pretty much what you had to do with Vista, but god damn, I didn't know you could just change a reg key and then activate your key. I would have ended up installing a keyless installation and then rebooting to clean install over that installation. That's some good info, Limited.