PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Google

Dwood
January 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
So apparently youtube isn't letting you have accounts without a google account. Which is bull crap.

Edit: I also don't like the new way Google is going with gmail either. I will be using a different email client now, even if it is thunderbird

Patssj6
January 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
So what is this thread about again? And why do you hate Thunderbird?

annihilation
January 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM
idgi either

Are you just bitching about things or are you trying to start a discussion?

Dwood
January 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
You guys are right. So I aptly changed the name. There have been a number of changes, most of which I find irritating and not what I want Google to be. From now on, whenever you log into Google.

Oh, and I just got locked out of my Youtube because I had to have it associated with my gmail. And, if I create a new gmail I have to associate it with my phone number in order to verify that I own the account. Uh. Okay.

Anyone have thoughts? Conspiracy theories? Etc?

Kornman00
January 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
From now on, whenever you log into Google.
Was that suppose to be the entire sentence or was it unfinished?

I've only had one issue with gmail: my account was apparently one of the accounts compromised last year when the chinese hacked gmail. Other than that incident though, I have no complaints with gmail, especially since it lets me use a terminal theme for my email interface.

Dwood
January 11th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Whoops. Kind of went on to another thought before I finished it.

Meant to add this onto it:

Every time I log into Google I'm shown my "google homepage". I'd rather see my email plz kthx.

Patssj6
January 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Get Thunderbird, get the minimize extension and add all your email clients correctly.

Profit.

Amit
January 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Dude, always post some sort of link that forwards me to an article that states the changes Google has made. Because right now I have to go google it for myself. Don't make me click the thread and then have nothing but bitching in the OP. Linking my account was simple since I already have GMail, but I would still like my hotmail to be linked instead. This is no longer possible. That's alright it's not a big deal. If you're afraid of google, just view youtube as a non-user and bookmark the videos you want to favourite.

Btw, is it just me, or is Youtube down?

EDIT: It was me. Fucking cookies.

Rook
January 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Only annoying thing with youtube for me is if you're logged into youtube you're automatically logged into gmail too. I'd rather not go around the web logged into gmail thanks big g!

Timo
January 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
meh, it saves me from logging into both websites. If you want to be taken straight to gmail, why not sign in at gmail.com instead of google.com?

Limited
January 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Youtube's really starting to mess things up.

"Sign in to YouTube with your YouTube*OR*Google Account"

I try to sign in using my YT username and password..

"Please use your Google Account (<my-email>@gmail.com) password to sign in. We no longer support signing in with your old YouTube password. [?]"

Way to contradict yourself.

jcap
January 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Google owns YouTube, so it only makes sense that they migrated all accounts to that. It makes it easier for its users so they have one less account to be concerned with. You can't continue without a Google Account anymore, but you can link your old YouTube account to your Google Account. YouTube has been phasing out their old accounts for the past 3 years, as stated on the login page of the website - it's nothing new.

What's wrong with Gmail? I think it keeps getting better. There's always new features being added, which is great because I abandoned actual email programs about 4 years ago.

Why do you need to create a new Gmail account for YouTube if you already have one? Is it to create a second channel for some other purpose? If that's the case, you don't actually need to settle for a Gmail address to create a Google Account. A Google Account can be any email address and password, like a Windows Live ID. Google Accounts are actually separate from Gmail. When you create a Google Account, you don't need a Gmail address. However, if you create a Gmail address, you are also creating a Google Account.

I didn't know they made a cell phone number a requirement now. I know it's encouraged by its existing users to add one to their account, and at one time in Gmail's beta period they required a cell phone number to receive an invite code. If it's mandatory on signup now, it's actually a smart move to counter spammers using Gmail. It is also an extremely important method of account recovery, if it was ever hijacked.

n00b1n8R
January 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't have a google account associated with my youtube but I can still log in. I'm not a fan of the new image search (though some of the tools are nifty if you're after 1 specific image) but other than that, I'm fine with my use of google.

Never had a Gmail~

annihilation
January 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
The only problem I have is needing to receive a text to make a Gmail account.

What the fuck, Google.

Dwood
January 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Only annoying thing with youtube for me is if you're logged into youtube you're automatically logged into gmail too. I'd rather not go around the web logged into gmail thanks big g!

@ Timo. I do log into gmail separately. I want the two separate for a reason. Oh, and as for the homepage thing, you log on into gmail.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2011, 06:26 AM
youtube has been on a downward slope for years.

Chrome still seems faster than the new firefox for the most part though, so I'm sticking with it

Lateksi
January 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
This is like how they slap this in your face too: "CONNECT YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TO YOUR YOUTUBE ACCOUNT NOW! DO IT! NOW!"

=sw=warlord
January 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
This is like how they slap this in your face too: "CONNECT YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TO YOUR YOUTUBE ACCOUNT NOW! DO IT! NOW!"
Photobucket does that now.

Amit
January 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Photobucket does that now.

Yeah, but they don't force you to. They know not everyone has the ability to create a Facebook account...theoretically.

=sw=warlord
January 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, but they don't force you to. They know not everyone has the ability to create a Facebook account...theoretically.

If you're signed into facebook it automatically signs you in when you go to photobucket.

Amit
January 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
If you're signed into facebook it automatically signs you in when you go to photobucket.

Hmm, you're right. What's wrong with that though?

Cortexian
January 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
YouTube hasn't been bugging me about linking my Facebook (something that I'll never do). Though when they rolled out the force-you-to-link-your-gmail the other day I had to clear my cookies/cache/logged in sessions just to access my account again. Epic fail YouTube, you probably caused the majority of your computer illiterate user base to take hours to painstakingly troubleshoot the problem.

annihilation
January 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Yet another reason not to have a Youtube account.

Donut
January 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
i kind of dont want to sign up for a bunch of different services just to use the services iv been using for a long time. iv had a youtube account since like 2006, and it would be nice if i didnt need a gmail account to access it. i have a primary email as it is, and i dont want to have to switch all of my shit to the new google email. i like getting my youtube email notifications. youtube has been bitching at me for a while to like my account to a gmail account, but i dont really want to. its just not necessary. and the text message thing? i kind of dont have a cellphone, so now what? am i SOL or what?

but i mean, at least they give you a warning, unlike aol who just randomly terminated my old email account with my xbl, school, multiple forums and games, and friends linked to it.

jcap
January 14th, 2011, 12:54 AM
youtube has been bitching at me for a while to like my account to a gmail account, but i dont really want to. its just not necessary. and the text message thing? i kind of dont have a cellphone, so now what? am i SOL or what?

Why do you need to create a new Gmail account for YouTube if you already have one? Is it to create a second channel for some other purpose? If that's the case, you don't actually need to settle for a Gmail address to create a Google Account. A Google Account can be any email address and password, like a Windows Live ID. Google Accounts are actually separate from Gmail. When you create a Google Account, you don't need a Gmail address. However, if you create a Gmail address, you are also creating a Google Account.

=sw=warlord
January 14th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Hmm, you're right. What's wrong with that though?

Because I don't want to be there uploading various screenshots for what ever and have a random pop up from someone who thinks I'm on facebook to chat.
or have a little bar telling me who is online, who is not and what everyone is doing, if I wanted either I would log into facebook.

Limited
January 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I simply don't like the fact I had no say in it, you either had to link your Gmail or you couldnt use any account features in Youtube.

I also had the issue Freelancer had, where it put me in a continuous POST loop. Had to reset my cache.

Personally I feel, if the features they say you get by linking your Google account are really that amazing, people would be stumbling over each other to try and link it. It would be a stampede...but its not. I just feel people should be given a clear choice.

Also they didn't provide alot of information as to why you had to (like what benefits you'd receive).

I don't care if linking it gave me $100, or free web hosting or a free iPhone, I still think it should be optional, people want their opinion and view heard. Some people simply just don't want to have to fuss around with things, even if the result will benefit them.

Amit
January 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Because I don't want to be there uploading various screenshots for what ever and have a random pop up from someone who thinks I'm on facebook to chat.
or have a little bar telling me who is online, who is not and what everyone is doing, if I wanted either I would log into facebook.

You can remove facebook from connecting through photobucket in account options.