Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
People for christ sake.
stop
changing
your
fucking
name.

Am i the only one who looks at his friendslist in say steam and literally cant recognise, place half the people on there because they spam name changes?
Like hell even using shit like "view alias" is a pointless waste of time half the time because you've changed it 500 times since the last one i recognized.

Cut it out cause it piss's me the fuck off.

AM i the only one that has this problem???
Pick a fucking alias and stick with it jesus christ.

=sw=warlord
January 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
If it really pisses you off that much why don't you just remove them?
I personally have no issues with people changing their handles on Steam or any other messaging application.
You can either get used to the fact people like to change their alias or just remove and ignore them, if you were more observant you would notice when people change their alias.

rossmum
January 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
warlord it's a bit hard to be observant when you're asleep or outside (gasp) and people change it before you get back on the pc

People for christ sake.
stop
changing
your
fucking
name.

Am i the only one who looks at his friendslist in say steam and literally cant recognise, place half the people on there because they spam name changes?
Like hell even using shit like "view alias" is a pointless waste of time half the time because you've changed it 500 times since the last one i recognized.

Cut it out cause it piss's me the fuck off.

AM i the only one that has this problem???
Pick a fucking alias and stick with it jesus christ.
while i agree to an extent, names aren't so bad. changing avatars and names becomes troublesome though. and changing names like 20 times daily. once a week or something is fine, hell i change mine every week or so before changing it back but so many times 'view alias' doesn't help drives me up the wall. i have literally no idea who half of my steam friends are anymore.

Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
some people change their alias about 3-4 times a day, as well as their display pic.

It's not an observant thing.... and plus i like to talk to just about everyone in my friends list, and i do talk to different people about different things at different times.
I dont have a possey of maybe 3-4 people where we all talk, walk and quack to the same tune.

the only downside at the moment is that because i have a varied group of friends, some of them or a fair few of them make it impossible to know who they are.

If you wanna change your name, or do it for a lulzy status from time to time, fine do it, but dont do it 400 times a fucking week for no reason at all.
It's a frustrating pointless waste of time.

their are legitimate friends in my friendslist that i cant recognize, or know if they've been online unless i troll their profiles (and really who can honestly be fucked with a steam profile) and go off their games, and friends. I've always had a very varied group of friends, and quite a large social network and because of that now i'm missing out on talking to some cool peeps because i dont know who you are.

Now you can say "ask them"
what if they're not online?
and why the fuck should i have to go through over a hundred people asking the same question every 3 days to find out who they are.

Jelly
January 23rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
MAX of 4 name changes PER MONTH buy more at valve store,.

Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
~

what more can i say.

~

Yoko
January 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
People for christ sake.
stop
changing
your
fucking
name.
No

View aliases in Steam, it's not hard to find previous names someone has used

Patrickssj6
January 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
They should allow an options for one to rename your friends to a fixed name or show a fixed name.

Rook
January 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I've never seen this as a problem, and I think it's cool you can use any name you want under steam at anytime without having to resort to something with bunch of numbers and x's.

Syuusuke
January 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
xxx7331_OttO_1337xxx

yea!

rossmum
January 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
No

yeah except it's useless when they change their names MULTIPLE TIMES in ONE FUCKING DAY

Pooky
January 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I agree with the idea of having an option to only view people by the name they registered with. People would still be able to change their alias at will, but you would always see them as their original name. Perhaps with the alias in parenthesis or something.

Aerowyn
January 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
I agree. There is someone on my friends list that constantly invites me to play with them but I really have NO CLUE who they are anymore since they change their name at least twice a day. I am, of course, talking about someone in my friends list named "Char Aznable" or "I'm Gabe Newell." WHO THE LIVING HELL ARE YOU, I KNOW YOU'RE ON MODACITY. >__<;

A lot of people have been suggesting that Steam implement a sort of system for organizing friends into categories. I would LOVE that. Seeing as most of my friends are clanmates, being able to separate them into collapseable "columns" of "TF2 Friends" or "DoD Friends" would be invaluable to me.

Even having a way for you to put in a note about who a particular person is would be great. Of course, it's Steam, they take forever to do anything.

Yoko
January 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
There is someone on my friends list that constantly invites me to play with them but I really have NO CLUE who they are anymore since they change their name at least twice a day. I am, of course, talking about someone in my friends list named "Char Aznable" or "I'm Gabe Newell." WHO THE LIVING HELL ARE YOU, I KNOW YOU'RE ON MODACITY. >__<;
Or lods of emone, It's just me, Gabe Newell, Kuronuma Sawako, play infected then rage, Jim Lahey, i'm gay irl, Bobby Kotick, etc. Yeah I wonder who that could be Aerowyn

yeah except it's useless when they change their names MULTIPLE TIMES in ONE FUCKING DAY
I too exaggerate the truth to try and validate a point

=sw=warlord
January 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
warlord it's a bit hard to be observant when you're asleep or outside (gasp) and people change it before you get back on the pc

Note how it says "You have seen [insert name] go by the following alias", if you're sleeping or out of the house you would probably have your PC switched off and so you would not have seen the extra Alias whilst you're away.
So I return the point of checking the alias you've already seen.
If you can't be arsed with switching your PC off while you're not using it then why should other people have to bother listening to you?

Donut
January 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
If you can't be arsed with switching your PC off while you're not using it then why should other people have to bother listening to you?
what. i was following your logic up until here.

as far as name changing is concerned, i see people do it all the time on xfire and skype. i only have 2 friends on steam, so its not an issue there, but i know what bod means. and yoko, thats not an exaggeration at all. there are quite a few people who do change their names multiple times a day. its annoying. with skype you can assign other users a name that you see when talking to them, and im pretty sure on xfire you can choose to only see their registration name instead of a nickname.

what is the problem with having that function in steam? seriously, why the fuck is anybody arguing about having options, especially when its so trivial?

ICEE
January 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I change my name because I'm due to be banned from a certain server that I enjoy smashing (I told the admin he was bad, etc). I always change it back thuogh when I'm done.

There is someone on my friends list that constantly invites me to play with them but I really have NO CLUE who they are anymore since they change their name at least twice a day. I am, of course, talking about someone in my friends list named "Char Aznable" or "I'm Gabe Newell."

This person pisses me off too. I think it's one of the anime kiddies.

Except it's not exaggerated at all.

Rook
January 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
what is the problem with having that function in steam? seriously, why the fuck is anybody arguing about having options, especially when its so trivial?
Registration name is never seen and if anything some might not want people to know their login name.

Donut
January 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
i mean the function to rename your friends to something you recognize.
and dont you need their login name to add them as a friend in the first place?

Kornman00
January 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Sadly, XBL doesn't have anything like this. That and some people don't like to send a M2AF saying "hey, i r an idiot n chngd mi gamertag, i used 2 b <old gamertag>"

But whatever, I just started removing people I don't recognize.

Cortexian
January 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Like Pat said, we should just have the ability to set our own usernames for people on our friends list. A personal nickname of sorts.

Timo
January 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
They should allow an options for one to rename your friends to a fixed name or show a fixed name.

This'd fix everything.

n00b1n8R
January 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Or lods of emone, It's just me, Gabe Newell, Kuronuma Sawako, play infected then rage, Jim Lahey, i'm gay irl, Bobby Kotick, etc. Yeah I wonder who that could be Aerowyn
I thought it was Inferno.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-nope.avi-obama-poster.jpg

A lot of people have been suggesting that Steam implement a sort of system for organizing friends into categories. I would LOVE that. Seeing as most of my friends are clanmates, being able to separate them into collapseable "columns" of "TF2 Friends" or "DoD Friends" would be invaluable to me.

Even having a way for you to put in a note about who a particular person is would be great. Of course, it's Steam, they take forever to do anything.
yesyesyesyesyes

Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks god, so i'm not alone on this.

Yoko
January 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
How could I have missed this

Make a Steam Group, make it invite only, call it something like "Aerowyn's Super Special TF2 friends lol! XD" and invite everyone you want in it. As long as you don't include "outer space" in the name you're fine, Steam's racist against people like that

ICEE
January 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
^ how about something with a little less effort? your friends dont need to know what you're categorizing them as, nor should they have to make any effort to make it happen.

While we're bitching, I'd like a function that allows me to decide whether or not I will receive a notification (the popup in the lower right corner) based on whether or not im in game. If I'm in game, its nice to have a visual on whose messaging me. When I'm not ingame, it is really annoying to have the notification pop up over my 3ds max control panel.

Syuusuke
January 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
You're just going to have to change it everytime dude, I know it sucks.

Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM

I had no idea who the fuck you where, and she didnt either. because you change your alias all the fucking time

Yoko
January 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I had no idea who the fuck you where, and she didnt either. because you change your alias all the fucking time
You don't respond to game invites and neither does she. Jcap is the only cool one here that's played l4d2 with me and others. I removed you a long time ago anyway

Bodzilla
January 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
i do when i'm at my comp, and the reason i dont respond to your game invites is i dont know who you are.

Rook
January 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/starfighterx
http://steamcommunity.com/id/rewk
http://steamcommunity.com/id/innergoat
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ganonzor

We have set ids what more do you want!!

ICEE
January 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
i do when i'm at my comp, and the reason i dont respond to your game invites is i dont know who you are.

Right the fuck here. Right here.

^up there^

Bodzilla
January 24th, 2011, 04:04 AM
i can recognize you most of the time rook

annihilation
January 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I don't mind when people do this at all. It's kinda fun figuring out who people are.

I change my name all the time but I tend to keep my avatar for awhile.

Phobias
January 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
You don't respond to game invites and neither does she. Jcap is the only cool one here that's played l4d2 with me and others. I removed you a long time ago anyway

So char aznable is you?

I've gotten a few l4d2 game invites but I'm shit at the game, so I'd rather not be the one inducing rage on my team.

Jelly
January 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Thanks god, so i'm not alone on this.
i can finally take this to the next level

*opens online-petition.com*

DarkHalo003
January 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Xfire drives me nuts when this happens. They have a new nickname and I'm like "Yeah...." and the person is like ranting about something random. So I go into Xfire to see who it is and their original name doesn't help at all.

Bastinka
January 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I find myself very easy to recognize. Last time I changed my alias was back in '07.