PDA

View Full Version : I want to start animation, but no 3ds Max yet....

DarkHalo003
January 25th, 2011, 06:25 PM
So in the mean time, I was wondering if Blender could be the next best thing. I'm looking for free software (saving money) and Gmax just won't cut it for me. My primary concern is whether or not Blender's animation system is close to 3ds Max's, so that once I get to Max I can pick up from where I left off. Thanks for any help!

paladin
January 26th, 2011, 01:37 AM
if you have student email, you can get most Autodesk programs for free

DarkHalo003
January 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I know that, and I do (once I figure out how to freaking login), but my computer currently wouldn't be capable of jack with any modern programs.

sleepy1212
January 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM
3ds max ran fine on my 10yo desktop with a AGPx8 and 256MB

Amit
January 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
I know that, and I do (once I figure out how to freaking login), but my computer currently wouldn't be capable of jack with any modern programs.

You have to register for the account with the email address your school gives you. I did it in literally 2 minutes and am downloading 3DS Max Right now.

DarkHalo003
January 31st, 2011, 05:29 PM
You have to register for the account with the email address your school gives you. I did it in literally 2 minutes and am downloading 3DS Max Right now.
It's not getting it that's the problem, it's that my computer is too shitty to use it properly. I wanted to know if Blender would be a good substitute until I can get 3ds Max with a new computer in the Spring. Is Blender's animation system similar enough to 3ds Max's so that once I switch I can leave off from where I was before switching?

Dwood
January 31st, 2011, 06:01 PM
It's not getting it that's the problem, it's that my computer is too shitty to use it properly. I wanted to know if Blender would be a good substitute until I can get 3ds Max with a new computer in the Spring. Is Blender's animation system similar enough to 3ds Max's so that once I switch I can leave off from where I was before switching?

If you can memorize the hotkeys, I believe it's not too bad, but don't quote me on that. Go on youtube and look up some videos.

Amit
January 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM

What's your rig? I have a 6 year old computer that can run Max 2011 no problem.

DarkHalo003
February 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
What's your rig? I have a 6 year old computer that can run Max 2011 no problem.
Well it's not that my computer wouldn't be able to use the modeling, it's just it would take a long long time rendering anything and I rather just wait until I have a new computer so I don't need to worry about possibly not being able to DL the same program on it (hypothetically if I had DLed the same program on this laptop).

sleepy1212
February 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Well it's not that my computer wouldn't be able to use the modeling, it's just it would take a long long time rendering anything and I rather just wait until I have a new computer so I don't need to worry about possibly not being able to DL the same program on it (hypothetically if I had DLed the same program on this laptop).

3ds max ran fine on my 10yo desktop with a AGPx8 and 256MB

what's your rig? it can't be worse than mine.

DarkHalo003
February 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
what's your rig? it can't be worse than mine.
Well it's a 6 year old Laptop, "1" GB of RAM, 2800+ Processor, ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200, dedicated memory is 128, and I have 6GBs left on my computer until I get a new one in a few months.

sleepy1212
February 2nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
3ds is about 600MB i think.

DarkHalo003
February 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
3ds is about 600MB i think.
Do you know if we are limited to one product per account? If that's not so, then I might actually DL 3ds Max since I finally have my college email.

sleepy1212
February 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
no idea

t3h m00kz
February 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Yeah well that's not always an option, considering some of us had parents who thought it would be a great idea to homeschool their kids and keep them sheltered from the "evils of the world," and some of us have financial problems and getting into a college isn't an option.

I suggest Blender. The program is free, completely open source if you wanted to add features or upgrade already existing features, supports mesh sculpting, scripting, etc. The recent update has upgraded the UI to look more "mainstream," and there are more than enough official tutorials on it to learn pretty much anything you'd want.

Site (http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-256-beta/)
Beginner's course (http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html)
Official tutorial database (http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/)
Community tutorial database (http://www.blendercookie.com/)

DarkHalo003
February 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Thank you. I may pick up modeling/stuff again if I can get away from playing RPG games right now (they're too addicting).

sleepy1212
February 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM
wat?

DarkHalo003
February 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM
wat?
Final Fantasy 6. I decided to play it. It consumed most of my free time for four days.

I'll DL it to see how it runs and what not. I'm hoping the system ends up close enough to 3ds' so I can continue working as soon as I get a new Laptop.

t3h m00kz
February 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
There's a bit of a learning curve to Blender if you're moving from 3DS or Gmax but once you go through the beginner's course units it's easy to pick up on.