PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Books?

Dwood
March 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'm looking for a good ol' fantasy book to read in my spare time on my Kindle. If you've got one to recommend post it up, and I'll take a gander.

Cortexian
March 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion

Dwood
March 22nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion

excluding the face-smackingly obvious.

Guardian
March 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I know they're pretty childish books but I really enjoyed the Rangers Apprentice books, they where short simple and just real good for a casual read.
If you're going for gloomier and thicker try The Lies Of Locke Lamora. Its about a thief.

ThePlague
March 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Dwood
March 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

That's Sci-Fi and Dry Humor, even though it's pretty good, but I'm in the mood for a fantasy book with an emphasis on magic.

Cortexian
March 22nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
Redwall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall)?

I enjoyed reading those novels when I was a kid.

Bodzilla
March 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
Anything by David eddings.
David Eddings and his wife Leigh are Gods when it comes to humor, group dynamics and PACING.
My god they're good at pacing. You pick up their book and you will just keep reading... and reading... And of fuck it's 2am and i have to get up in 3 hours for work D:!

The redemption of athalus is a brilliant stand alone novel by him, most of his other work is in series.

thehoodedsmack
March 23rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Fantasy + Comedy = Terry Pratchett

ODX
March 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I myself like the Inheiretence Trilogy Series, aka Eragon Eldest and Brisingr.
A few times they may drag on but it's developing the story and lore a bit which I find interesting.

Aerowyn
March 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
(or the whole Black Jewels trilogy for that matter)

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker.
(White, Black, and Red, and Green is a prequel).

Siliconmaster
March 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I second Redwall, and add The Wheel of Time series. I'm currently on book 5, and quite enjoying them. They are extremely long though, so it's similar, if not more involved, than reading through the Lord of the Rings. Still, highly recommended (the first bit is a tad slow, but it picks up).

Cortexian
March 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM
It's pretty hard to be more involved than reading through Lord of the Rings, especially if you read The Hobbit first and all the appendices involved with the series. Then if you REALLY want to fully understand it you must read through all of The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales... There's a few more novel length suppositories to the Middle-Earth universe as well that are less known, and that I frankly haven't bothered to read.

And I have to say, Redwall isn't exactly what I'd call Fantasy... At least not by my personal definition, it kind of stands alone imo.

Siliconmaster
March 24th, 2011, 11:56 PM
True, Redwall is sort of in its own genre, but I'd say it still counts as some sort of fantasy. I mean, sword wielding talking mice. How epically fantastic is that?

Lord of the Rings, including all the additional books, is indeed a very involved read. It definitely wins for that in the "extremely detailed and in depth" category. However, with the Wheel of Time series, it may win for overall most pages. There are (I believe) 15 books, with about a thousand pages each. Pretty darn involved, though not quite as insanely deep as LotR (though close).

Cortexian
March 25th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I don't think there will ever be something else as in-depth as LotR, Tolkien dedicated almost his entire life past the age of 20 or so to the Middle-Earth universe. I only wish all the thoughts about Middle-Earth that tumbled around Tolkien's head had been published before he died, and not by his son or the Tolkien Estate... Unfinished Tales hint at so much more interesting information and stories that Tolkien never had the time to tell properly. I honestly think he created a world that was so in-depth that he literally had no where to turn to to pick out something to publish, there was just so much.

And yeah, the Redwall series is just awesome. The television versions of it are complete crap though.

Siliconmaster
March 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Bahaha they made a television series out of it?

Cortexian
March 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah back when I was 16 or so I think I saw it on the Cartoon network or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall_%28TV_series%29

RedBaron
March 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Horus Heresy series - fantasy taking place in the year 30,000 lol