PDA

View Full Version : I'm currently screwed.

ThePlague
May 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
I decided it would be a good idea to install XP SP3 on a partition, on the same drive as my Windows 7 partition (So I could use my original Xbox controllers and shit on games like NFS: Shift 2). Here's what I did:

Used the windows 7 Disk Management tool to create a 50gb partition (right clicked the C drive, did shrink drive, made it 50gb)
Didn't assign a drive letter to it (pretty sure this is where I got fucked)
Restarted the computer
Booted from the XP cd

This is where it got stupid. It seemed to be installing fine, but when it restarted it said error loading operating systems.

I'm pretty sure it's because I forgot to assign it a drive letter, but now I can't even boot from my Windows 7 partition that was on there, even when I deleted the 50 gb XP partition through a Windows 7 cd.

What the hell do I do now? That drive had all of my shit on it; over 40gb of music, 20gb of pictures, all of my gamesaves, and shit like that.

Help, for the love of jebus :\ I'm seriously fucked here if I can't fix this.

Patrickssj6
May 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM
I decided it would be a good idea to install XP SP3 on a partition, on the same drive as my Windows 7 partition (So I could use my original Xbox controllers and shit on games like NFS: Shift 2). Here's what I did:

Used the windows 7 Disk Management tool to create a 50gb partition (right clicked the C drive, did shrink drive, made it 50gb)
Didn't assign a drive letter to it (pretty sure this is where I got fucked)
Restarted the computer
Booted from the XP cd

This is where it got stupid. It seemed to be installing fine, but when it restarted it said error loading operating systems.

I'm pretty sure it's because I forgot to assign it a drive letter, but now I can't even boot from my Windows 7 partition that was on there, even when I deleted the 50 gb XP partition through a Windows 7 cd.

What the hell do I do now? That drive had all of my shit on it; over 40gb of music, 20gb of pictures, all of my gamesaves, and shit like that.

Help, for the love of jebus :\ I'm seriously fucked here if I can't fix this.

Windows 7 disc...repair MBR with CHKDSK.

arbiter901
May 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

ThePlague
May 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I have a backup dive, but for some reason it doesn't show up when I plug it into my computer. I can feel the thing running though. Is the drive dead?

Patrickssj6
May 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I have a backup dive, but for some reason it doesn't show up when I plug it into my computer. I can feel the thing running though. Is the drive dead?
Forced Drive Letters maybe.

Go into Right Click Computer -> go into Disc Management and assign a different drive letter.

Amit
May 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Forced Drive Letters maybe.

Go into Right Click Computer -> go into Disc Management and assign a different drive letter.

He can't boot either installation.

ThePlague
May 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Not anymore, I used Gpartedlive to reformat my whole computer. I have a fresh install of Windows 7 on it. All of the stuff I really needed backed up is on my backup drive, minus some new music I got recently.

Amit
May 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM
The Drive is an internal SATA, right? Why not find somebody who has a USB HDD enclosure and check if you can access your files from that?