PDA

View Full Version : HCE Workflow for modeling off a reference?

Longshot
May 1st, 2011, 02:51 AM
Hi guys,

What’s the best workflow for creating a map from a reference image? I’m interested in creating a highly detailed blueprint on my computer as opposed to drawing it on paper and scanning it through (due to size and scaling issues).

So I guess the main thing I want to know is what was Bungie’s workflow? Draw up a plan in something like Adobe Illustrator and model it from there on or is it a bit more complex than that?

I’ve got a few ideas so far but I’d like to know the best way to transfer an idea from 2d to 3d.

Cheers.

neuro
May 2nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
start with a rough blockout. just what the name sais, make the general SHAPE out of blocks. just to get the shapes and proportions right, doesnt need to be more than 100-200 polies depending on your model complexity.

then just start bulding your new model using the blcokout as basic 3d blueprint.

Longshot
May 15th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks for that, sorry for the late reply; very busy with work and other commitments lately.

A friend of mine showed me the special features of God of War on PS3 and it showed the level designers using this same exact workflow. They would block the level out using the in-game developer tools they created, then they would add the game assets to it. Quite clever, really.

Thanks for the advice, though; I'll definitely give it a shot!