PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 2 DX11 next week

=sw=warlord
June 22nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hi guys,

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

https://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32220
Important is bold.

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Too late to save the game.

annihilation
June 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Too late to save the game.

hobojoe
June 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Agreed. let see, I stop playing it when?.......I started playing it.

But non the less will be getting the patch and playing around with it for a few hours.

Mr Buckshot
June 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Might play the first few levels to give the DX11 effects a go, but ultimately good graphics can't save mediocre gameplay.

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
To be honest, I don't think the graphics will look any better than some of the tweaked Crysis 1 DX10 stuff.

=sw=warlord
June 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
To be honest, I don't think the graphics will look any better than some of the tweaked Crysis 1 DX10 stuff.

I don't remember Crysis having much in the way of Tessellation and displacement mapping.
There's a few things there that's been added with mods and hacks but this is official gear now.
Plus there was discussion of having an extra 15ms to play with not too long ago.

Limited
June 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Alright its pretty cool, but way too late. Even got released after the DLC, what a joke.

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Tessellation seems big, but displacement mapping doesn't sound like it'd do a lot. Will we notice it? Like really notice while playing the game. I don't mean stop for 5 minutes and examine the stuff just the check if it's there. Then again, it'll make slow videos and stills awesome to look at. Not to mention, just looking around at scenery rather than playing.

=sw=warlord
June 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Alright its pretty cool, but way too late. Even got released after the DLC, what a joke.

It's a lot better in terms of support than say, Bungie or Activision licensed CoD games.
I've yet to see a title update for Halo Reach.

Siliconmaster
June 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Finally. I totally pirated Crysis 2 just for the eye candy, and was both impressed and disappointed- looked nice, but not as nice in areas as it could have been. Looking forward to this patch to see how it looks.

Mr Buckshot
June 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Gotta admit that when it comes to scaling on lesser hardware, Crytek did a respectable job. Weaker PCs that could only run the first one on lowest can handle the Gamer settings at 1024x600 or higher quite playably. It may be a console port, but at least it doesn't lag on hardware that should blow it away (H2V and Black Ops come to mind).

ejburke
June 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Aren't we all wise enough to know that DX11 (and DX10 before it) are mostly bullshit marketing? First-generation hardware implementation of new API's is always crappy. You get a subtle benefit for a massive performance penalty. Your cards shouldn't say "DirectX 11", they should say, "DirectX 11 -- barely, with caveats, and don't fucking push it!". Now, you should get excited about DX11 right around the time DX13 rolls around. That's about the time when the hardware will have caught up. Of course, no one will care, because HOLY SHIT DirectX 13!

=sw=warlord
June 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Personally I always noticed a difference between DX9 and DX10 on Crysis but that might just be me.
It was in the colours and tone.

Siliconmaster
June 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
If games figure out how to implement tessellation like the DX11 tech demos, my card will happily make them look pretty :downs: I love my GTX570.

BobtheGreatII
June 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Here's the screens for those of you who didn't catch the link before they closed it last night.

EDIT: Look down further!

Amit
June 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Tessellation off? No point in posting pics of it if we have no idea what it looked like in the first place.

BobtheGreatII
June 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Tessellation off? No point in posting pics of it if we have no idea what it looked like in the first place.

Thanks Amit for pointing that out. Obviously if I had the off pictures, I would have posted them. The website I got them from didn't have them.

Edit: Found them:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2237/dx11tessellation2aoff.jpg
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/2995/dx11tessellation2aon.jpg
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/1825/dx11tessellation1off.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9002/dx11tessellation1on.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4064/dx11pom2off.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/7641/dx11pom2on.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5277/ao1ssdooff.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/305/ao1ssdoon.jpg

Amit
June 23rd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks Amit for pointing that out. Obviously if I had the off pictures, I would have posted them. The website I got them from didn't have them.

:mech2:

I can't really tell the difference between on and off except in the first comparison. Even in the first one, though, tessellation off looks more realistic to what you would see on a modern building. Tessellation on sort of looks like they are making things pop out just for the hell of it. As I thought, DX11 is quite subtle. A nice touch for those still playing, though.

Mr Buckshot
June 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Can't tell the difference between on and off in those shots either.

So is enabling those effects basically lowering FPS for nothing?

Ifafudafi
June 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Can't tell the difference between on and off in those shots either.

You're kidding, right?

If not, I made .gifs of those images; please tell me you can see it now (if you can't I'd recommend eye surgery):

(click on images to expand)

Donut
June 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
i couldnt see it without the gif either tbqh.

then again i didnt know what i was looking for.

Limited
June 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
To be honest tesselation isnt that impressive, its a nice touch but really you don't notice it much, unless they do it on character models in cutscenes or on weapons. Although it can be applied to any model, it really is only effective on organic items like rock, people, dirt.

Seapking about weapons, I would have loved to see a screenshot that shows the guns to see whether there is any SSAO/HDAO applied to them, that will be a big difference. I'm a big fan of soft shadows, they really add that level of detail.

Mr Buckshot
June 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Ok, thanks to Limited's GIFs I can make out some difference (especially the first one), though the effects are still too subtle to pay attention to.

Amit
June 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ok, thanks to Limited's GIFs I can make out some difference (especially the first one), though the effects are still too subtle to pay attention to.

This. Even for making beautiful screenshots, only tessellation and DX11 POM look like an improvement. The SSAO really kills the detail and quality of the scene.

Limited
June 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
This. Even for making beautiful screenshots, only tessellation and DX11 POM look like an improvement. The SSAO really kills the detail and quality of the scene.
You dont want bolts and clips that cast real soft shadows on your gun?

SSAO yes it will create shadows which will result in detail being hidden, but the fact those shadows are there increase the believably of the scene.

We are at the stage in visuals, the only thing stopping us making it an exact replica of real life, is lighting and shadows. SSAO helps bridge that gap.

Amit
June 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I don't mind on the guns, but I don't care for the scene to be believable when I'm playing I want to be able to see whatever it is that I'm looking at without a flashlight.

Ifafudafi
June 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ok, thanks to Limited's GIFs...
:ehhh:

Yeah, definitely eye surgery

The SSDO (which is apparently an improved form of SSAO, not sure how until I see it in person) looks jarring when in direct comparison to a scene without any kind of indirect shadowing, but I'd assume that the huge contrast between the two is the only reason it looks so uberdark; between tweaking it with console commands and just getting used to it, I don't think it'll darken the scene to the point where you can't make out details properly. The shoddy imitative AO that's been used for realtime rendering's always been more of a matter of preference, I'll admit, but again, console commands FTW

Also, even for those without DX11, there's a high-res texture pack coming alongside the patch and you can enable real-time reflections on several surfaces, which looks sweet

static pics (less blurry):
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2605/ssr1off.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2199/ssr1on.jpg

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
June 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/download-the-crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade

=sw=warlord
June 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Cryengine editor out this wednesday (http://crytek.com/news/crysis-2-ultra-upgrade-with-the-directx-11-available-today-for-pc)

Cortexian
June 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You mean the one that was released with the alpha leak that had Ultra-High Res options already included?

LOL this game was such an epic fail.

=sw=warlord
June 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
You mean the one that was released with the alpha leak that had Ultra-High Res options already included?

LOL this game was such an epic fail.

You mean that one which was included in a obviously beta build with various missing items and shit load of bugs?
Yeah totally a fail there.

ODX
June 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Looks like the real PC version of Crysis 2 was finally released. (Graphics wise)

Might I say, it does indeed look stunning.

Cortexian
June 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM
You mean that one which was included in a obviously beta build with various missing items and shit load of bugs?
Yeah totally a fail there.
The entire leak was pre-release, what's your point? Bugs? There were no bugs that I didn't find workarounds for in like 3 minutes of searching. You can' compare it to what they're going to release as final, and I never inferred as much.

My point should of been obvious, I was referring to the fact that the leak had the editor included in it and the launch version of the game didn't even have it.

ODX
June 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Because they probably weren't finished with it? They wanted to iron out those bugs so people don't have to go searching around at all for workarounds?

Jesus, there's more to releasing something than having it in a playable/usable state. There's probably a dozen more reasons they didn't release it and I'm obviously not a good person to ask.

Amit
June 28th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Too bad they didn't spend that much time actually playing and testing the game. Then it wouldn't have been a complete disaster.

ODX
June 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I played it and looking at it like a standalone game, it was pretty fun.

But looking at it as a sequel? That's where it fails miserably and the gameplay completely ruined from lack of a REAL open-world.

Amit
June 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Well, yes the SP was different and I sort of dislike that, but I'm talking from an MP view. It failed as an MP title, just like Homefront.

ODX
June 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Everyone wants to be Call of Duty, which is really disappointing. I hate it when people say "it feels like Halo!" when it clearly, clearly does fucking not.
Just because gameplay is slower, doesn't mean it's just like Halo. It's still a futuristic Call of Duty with a nanosuit thrown in for bullshit measures.

Playing the Homefront Demo, the game is pretty neat though it's just CoD with bigger maps and some vehicles thrown in.

DarkHalo003
June 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Halo can only imitate Halo. No other game can. Any game that does is a piece of shit. Enough said.

Second, CoD is shit. I hate it when people like CoD because it's total shit. It offers nothing to the table, is redundant as hell, and there are NO shenanigans. Any game that lacks shenanigans is shit, in fact.

neuro
June 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Finally. I totally pirated Crysis 2 just for the eye candy, and was both impressed and disappointed- looked nice, but not as nice in areas as it could have been. Looking forward to this patch to see how it looks.

it's still only production art.
it's not made to be a graphical masterpiece.
there's still tight budgets that you have to stick to.

(and on top of that, crysis usessome pretty hard texture compression)

Pooky
June 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Halo can only imitate Halo. No other game can. Any game that does is a piece of shit. Enough said.

Actually Republic Commando multiplayer borrowed a lot of elements from Halo and it was fun as hell. Very lacking feature wise, but the core gameplay had a lot of promise.

Second, CoD is shit. I hate it when people like CoD because it's total shit. It offers nothing to the table, is redundant as hell, and there are NO shenanigans. Any game that lacks shenanigans is shit, in fact.

I really hope you're not including CoD 4 in this generalization, or I'll have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

Amit
June 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think he's discounted CoD games previous to World At War. These days I talk generally about the series now. I don't even take care to specify that I'm talk post-COD4. Why? Because everyone knows CoD has been bullshit since MW2 and that COD4 was the last true CoD game.

DarkHalo003
June 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I think he's discounted CoD games previous to World At War. These days I talk generally about the series now. I don't even take care to specify that I'm talk post-COD4. Why? Because everyone knows CoD has been bullshit since MW2 and that COD4 was the last true CoD game.
This. Anything before CoD 4/MW2 (although I didn't really like 3 that much) is generally okay, but this new CoD is just bad.

And I mean anything NOW that tries to imitate Halo is bad. Republic Commando is an entirely different story, mainly because it borrowed as many elements from Halo as it created from itself. It was also during a time when FPS games were really developing with controllers and Halo's configurations were a real go-to for developers.

Siliconmaster
June 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM
it's still only production art.
it's not made to be a graphical masterpiece.
there's still tight budgets that you have to stick to.

(and on top of that, crysis usessome pretty hard texture compression)

True, but I was basing my comment off of Crysis 1, where it was basically a tech demo with gameplay. While I did find Crysis 2 a bit more fun (kinda), I'll admit I really only played it for the graphics, much as people only really know Crysis 1 for the graphics. And while some stuff looked better, other stuff, like the water, looked worse than Crysis 1. Therefore, I'm glad to see they've finally had time to do an absurd version for the high-end retard gamers. Like myself :P Nothing against the developers, I understand the sort of pressure they're under.

Mr Buckshot
June 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Hey, I wonder why so many shooters have recharging health and limit you to carrying only two weapons! The game this thread is about appears to be one...

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DJiTj.jpg

Pooky
June 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Needs a little more bloom, it's kind of dark.

ThePlague
June 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Step into the light.

Cortexian
June 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Step into the light.
With 11.8 FPS it won't be long now!!

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 30th, 2011, 01:52 PM
lol
I added all the post processing (ingame) in the world to that in the editor :3
E: