PDA

View Full Version : Rumour has it Windows 8 might let you play Xbox 360 games on your PC

arbiter901
July 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.teknylate.com/2011/07/05/xbox360-games-on-p/

Masterz1337
July 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
That be stupid if they did, especially since W8 seems to be mostly focused on tablets and ARM processors, I doubt they'd be able to make it support PPC as well, especially since PPC is a energy guzzler. I'd imagine that this is for XBL services in W8, since they are killing the Zune brand and mixing it all in with xbox live.

Cortexian
July 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
That article is less speculation and more "this is happening, but we're not sure how in-depth or what the exact details are like". If Windows 8 lets me do this I'll be buying it on day 1.

arbiter901
July 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
This must mean that the next generation console is on it's way.

MXC
July 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
This must mean that the next generation console is on it's way.

Or, what if Windows 8...IS the next console?

*dun dun duuun*

thehoodedsmack
July 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Will purchase if Windows 8 can do this. My 360 has been broken for months anyway, and I don't think I'm going to replace it.

PlasbianX
July 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I dont see how that could work.. how would system requirements work? There'd have to be certain hardware issues that would factor into that.

ThePlague
July 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Can regular dvd drives even read Xbox 360 discs?

Hotrod
July 12th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Can regular dvd drives even read Xbox 360 discs?
Don't the 360s use regular DVD drives?

p0lar_bear
July 12th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I can't remember if it was the XBO or the 360 (or both), but I remember reading a while back that Xbox [360] discs are spun in reverse compared to normal CDs.

I'd like to see some sources on that article; this could be just an overzealous reporter wishing big and creating needless hype.

Amit
July 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'd like to see some sources on that article; this could be just an overzealous reporter wishing big and creating needless hype.

That's exactly what it is.

ODX
July 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
The only thing that would lead me to think this is true, would be this screengrab from that "Windows Gaming Experience and Xbox Live" video:
http://oi55.tinypic.com/1zqsltu.jpg
(Look it's Halo 3 :D)
Mind you he [the avatar] WAS accessing this menu from his computer, but then again that whole video is full of bullshit anyway so even using this as "evidence" is far fetched in my own opinion.
Either way it's something interesting to note.

DarkHalo003
July 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm still puzzled as to why Halo 3 or any other Halo game still hasn't been ported (albeit properly) to the PC. Do you realize that if they made it as potent as HCE, they'd actually make Windows Live have a purpose and not a waste of money?

ThePlague
July 12th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Wonder if the Windows 8 leaks already have it implemented :3

jcap
July 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Here's my take on it...

I think these articles are full of it. I still have yet to see any legitimate source, so until there is one, this is all speculation. I think it would be pretty damn awesome if this was true, but there's too many holes in just the thought of it.

For one, the processor architecture of the Xbox is totally different than a PC. The Xbox 360 has a PPC processor, while all Windows computers are x86. This would require some extremely heavy and complicated software emulation of hardware on Windows, which would have a massive performance impact.

Secondly, control is a huge deal for Microsoft. They want to lock you out of the hardware you buy from them to prevent piracy and cheating. Why would Microsoft essentially tear down all walls and open up their *praised* gaming platform? It would probably make piracy a hell of a lot easier, since there's no way in hell for a normal PC DVD drive to check the security features of discs. It would also be easy to disable all security measures such as signing, so anyone would be able to run unsigned code and potentially cheat in games.

With that said, it is very suspicious of Microsoft to be merging the Games for Windows website into Xbox.com. When I first read about it a week ago, I actually thought to myself that Microsoft may be merging the two platforms. I think there is still a chance Microsoft may be merging the two platforms, but I don't think it will happen now.

It would make the most sense for Microsoft to allow their next generation Xbox console to be cross-platform. Microsoft could design the next Xbox with a new physical media format (such as flash chips) with strict anti-piracy techniques built-in (like encrypting game data and unique CD keys on every flash chip), which would also protect against cheating. The console could be designed with x86 architecture so every game would be able to natively run on a Windows PC without heavy emulation.

Of course, this could all be extremely bad too. It could mean the absolute death of "PC games" as a whole. While it would allow anyone who owns console games to play on Windows, it also means that there's no reason to develop a separate version of the game for Windows anymore. Why would a developer waste resources to reach essentially the same target audience?

Patrickssj6
July 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Of course, this could all be extremely bad too. It could mean the absolute death of "PC games" as a whole. While it would allow anyone who owns console games to play on Windows, it also means that there's no reason to develop a separate version of the game for Windows anymore. Why would a developer waste resources to reach essentially the same target audience?
We wouldn't have shitty console ports anymore.

Seriously, I can imagine Microsoft doing this...in every way this seems like a perfect idea. Winning the console war for sure.

jcap
July 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
We wouldn't have shitty console ports anymore.
Instead, we'll have shitty dumbed-down console games.

Mr Buckshot
July 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Doubt it, considering that the original Xbox which has more in common with a traditional PC than the 360 does still hasn't got a proper working emulator.

As for dumbed-down console games, graphics-wise that is true but plenty of multiplatform games prove that dumbing down the visuals doesn't mean compromising the gameplay (i.e. GTA4, batman, just cause 2, etc). The fact that Crysis 2 dumbed down the gameplay in addition to its visuals was just a coincidence. I'd rather have a game that performs perfect at console settings than to have a super-buggy and lazy port that doesn't run well at any setting even on the best PCs (i.e. GTA4 at launch!).

if jcap is right, I hope my RTS's don't get compromised :/ Games like SupCom 2 and Halo Wars proved that optimizing for the gamepad is a guaranteed way to make an RTS suck balls.

ejburke
July 13th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Even if they wanted to do this, which I can't imagine they would, I don't see how it's feasible.

=sw=warlord
July 13th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Microsoft has already said they want to merge all three of their major platforms under one banner, so why exactly is this hard to believe?

http://www.winrumors.com/xbox-360-references-discovered-in-windows-8-kernel/

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/windows-8-to-have-xbox-live-integration-964736

http://www.winrumors.com/references-to-xbox-live-device-bans-found-in-leaked-build-of-windows-phone-7/

The xbox 360 is beginning to show its age.
What better way to not only enhance the systems life time and break into the PC market than to expand it's library to the windows platform?
They've attempted to break into the PC market a few times, there's very little that they could do to pry users from steam other than giving exclusive access to the library on their xbox platform.

jcap
July 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
That stuff is pretty interesting, but I still can't ignore the security issues. For that reason solely, I could see all of this falling through or it being limited to only certain areas of XBL such as Arcade and Community Games.

annihilation
July 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I dont see how that could work.. how would system requirements work? There'd have to be certain hardware issues that would factor into that.

The Xbox is comparable a mid-range PC or a low-end since it uses DX9. It wouldn't be hard to out perform it.
Also, Microsoft will sell special DVD drives for only $60!:iamafag:

Cortexian
July 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Just to point out the obvious to those of you saying "this won't happen because there isn't even an Xbox emulator yet"... We're not talking about some rag-tag group of hobbyist programmers and script kids trying to put together an emulator, Microsoft developed the Xbox 360, I'm sure that if they wanted they could design some software that would allow you to play Xbox 360 games on your PC. The DVD drive in the 360 isn't much different than a regular one so I don't see a problem on that front.

king_nothing_
July 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
That stuff is pretty interesting, but I still can't ignore the security issues. For that reason solely, I could see all of this falling through or it being limited to only certain areas of XBL such as Arcade and Community Games.
I've never owned a 360, but from what I understand, it's not exactly rocket science to pirate the games. The only real anti-piracy measure they have is that you'll get banned from Xbox Live. If this feature was in fact in Windows 8, why wouldn't it work the same way? It's just like pretty much every other PC game these days: if you're content with playing offline, you can pirate it, and if you want to play online, you have to buy it. Actually, Microsoft would have a better anti-piracy measure than that since they would probably ban you from the entire Xbox Live system like they do now on the 360.

ejburke
July 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Microsoft doesn't care about PC gaming. They are trying to unite PC/Xbox/Windows Phone as entertainment platforms, not necessarily as gaming platforms. 60% of XBL use is non-gaming and that percentage will only increase, so it makes sense to make that service a seamless and unified experience, as all the other media content providers are doing.

If they can't be bothered to port Halo Wars to its natural platform, you'd think their overall interest in the PC games market would be fairly low. Given all the technical hurdles and financial and proprietary risks, they would have to possess the world's largest boner for PC gaming to want to pull this off. Let's not kid ourselves, it's a quarter chub at best.

Mr Buckshot
July 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
The Xbox is comparable a mid-range PC or a low-end since it uses DX9. It wouldn't be hard to out perform it.
Also, Microsoft will sell special DVD drives for only $60!:iamafag:

Theoretically, even Intel's current HD 3000 IGP is better than the 360's graphics, it's jus a matter of drivers and support and optimization. My friend slapped together a core i5 system and his video card still needs to be delivered, so he tried the IGP for the time being and was impressed at how serviceable it was.

I've never owned a 360, but from what I understand, it's not exactly rocket science to pirate the games. The only real anti-piracy measure they have is that you'll get banned from Xbox Live. If this feature was in fact in Windows 8, why wouldn't it work the same way? It's just like pretty much every other PC game these days: if you're content with playing offline, you can pirate it, and if you want to play online, you have to buy it. Actually, Microsoft would have a better anti-piracy measure than that since they would probably ban you from the entire Xbox Live system like they do now on the 360.

One of my roommates is from Thailand and he brought over a modded 360 with a suitcase loaded up with pirated games on burned DVD-DLs. (apparently it's impossible to buy a non-modded console or legit games in his country lol). He's been able to get onto XBL fine for most of his illegal games. He got banned once in October 2009 during a security sweep but managed to fix it with a visit to some shop. If companies think that consoles are hard to pirate, they have to think again. I find it ironic how his pirated games can connect to legit XBL games while pirated PC games cannot do the same.

jcap
July 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Pirating Xbox games requires you to flash the firmware of the DVD drive to something different. Normally a drive is supposed to check the disc for very special data that can only be burned to the master disc by publishers, and the drive will refuse to read the game partition if this is missing. A drive with hacked firmware skips that check, so the Xbox reads any disc, even a burned one.

This check cannot be done on a normal DVD drive. It would at least require you to buy a special Xbox 360 external drive for your computer, as annihilation suggested. Even that isn't bulletproof, since I bet it would take less than a day for someone to emulate the entire thing as a virtual drive on your computer, so you would never have to buy an Xbox drive or games.

Players are able to get online even with pirated games because once you skip that check, there's nothing else to verify ownership or legitimacy. With PC games, the trend is to enter a CD key and activate the product, or to be connected to the internet while playing. Consoles don't have those hurdles. If Microsoft wanted to even have a chance to counter piracy, they would be forced to begin selling games with CD keys, which would bankrupt the entire reselling business. Microsoft would love that, but I don't think many other console gamers would be too fond.

But it's not just piracy I'm talking about when I refer to security. While they do care a lot about piracy, they care even more about limiting what the console can run. The Xbox checks for digital signatures on everything it runs. In addition to preventing piracy (like how the Reach leak could only be played on devkits and JTAG'd consoles), it plays a major role in preventing cheating. It means that someone cannot modify the executable of a game to give themselves unlimited everything, or create a trainer that runs in the background of the game. It also prevents maps from being modified, which could lead to rampant cheating. For example, in the case of Halo, the executable checks the checksum of the map files on load. You can remove the check, but then the xex would have to be resigned. The digital signature check would be so easy to remove on a PC, and there would be no other hardware security to lock down the software.

Microsoft has control of their console and network because they can ban entire consoles or players who break their TOS. It works successfully (for the most part) on consoles because every console has a unique serial number that is stored in the processor. On the PC, it's a totally different story. Microsoft can generate a unique ID of a computer, but anyone with the right knowledge can easily spoof or permanently change the ID.

Cortexian
July 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
All you need to get unbanned is a new EPROM or whatever, easy fix if you or someone you know is skilled enough with a soldering iron.

Lightning
July 14th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I can't remember if it was the XBO or the 360 (or both), but I remember reading a while back that Xbox [360] discs are spun in reverse compared to normal CDs.

That's Gamecube/Wii, and it doesn't read them "backwards", it reads them from the outside in, rather than normal disks being read from the inside track first.

All systems spin the disks normally, spinning clockwise.

Rook
July 14th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Damn I came in here to read about microsoft trying to kill PC gaming and jcap is giving an depth tutorial on pirating xbox games instead.

nuttyyayap
July 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM
So, THIS is Microsoft's excuse not to give us PC ports of games? Well, fuck them :saddowns:
:realsmug:

Rook
July 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
So, THIS is Microsoft's excuse not to give us PC ports of games? Well, fuck them :saddowns:
E: Rook, who is the chick in your Avatar? She's giving me a boner and I have no idea why...(DON'T read this)

http://www.dmach.ru/Asuka_Soryu.jpg

The_Cereal_Killer
July 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Would love this to be true, it would open the door to countless modding possibilities; of course I doubt it's real. [/generic post]

jcap
July 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Actually, it would close literally all doors to mods ever. You can't be open on a closed platform.

The_Cereal_Killer
July 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I can't believe that they'd lock down the OS simply to protect the 360 games their bringing in. Then again...

Kyle
July 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
So, what happens to the superior PC master race if this is true?

ThePlague
July 14th, 2011, 07:19 PM
We create our own OS.

MXC
July 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM
We create our own OS.

With blackjack...and hookers! On second thought, forget the OS!
http://cleverocity.com/albums/TheSeriesHasLanded/fu_1ACVO2_433.jpg

ThePlague
July 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oh I love you, I almost forgot there's a new episode tonight!

Mr Buckshot
July 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
We create our own OS.

Come to think of it, I've heard debates somewhere before about people wanting Steam to made into a separate operating system.