PDA

View Full Version : Printrbot

samnwck
February 17th, 2012, 06:28 AM
So basically the Printrbot is an open sourced 3d printer. It's cheap and seems fairly easy to assemble. I have thought of having something like this in a home environment would be awesome. Especially since I play a miniatures board game (40k) and I always thought it'd be amazing to create a piece in a 3d program and be able to have the same piece to use in the real world.

Thoughts?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/samnwck/printrbot.jpg

Limited
February 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I was looking into these a few weeks back. 3D printers fascinate me tremendously. The only downside is the cost and it takes hours to print even a fairly basic design.

samnwck
February 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Well from what I can see this is one of the "cheaper" ones around, besides homemade. But with homemade you'd have a lot more troubleshooting and research. And this one has a memory card port or it can have one, so you can stick it on a memory card and plug it in and let it go, so you could stick it in the garage and let it print while you sleep. That way you don't have to deal with the noise of machinery going all night.

Cortexian
February 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'd love to have one to fabricate random parts and such for certain things, or at least concepts to take to someone to get a proper CNC part made.

neuro
February 19th, 2012, 04:33 AM
reprap