PDA

View Full Version : KingFishers path to becoming a better 3d artist.

PopeAK49
March 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Most of you know me by my forerunner and environment modeling. I'm at a stage in which I want to excel my skills. Most people I've talked to say that school training helps a lot, but I'm already working towards a degree in IT. I want 3d art work to be a hobby instead of a job. I only know 3d modeling techniques that I learned by myself over the years, but I feel as if the skills that I have are limited.

Basically, I'm interested in learning high poly modeling for creating a normal map using 3ds max and Mudbox/zbrush. I also would love to know how to create diffuse maps, specular maps within photoshop. I feel as if the skills I have now are useful for only low poly modeling.

Overall, I want to develop a professional workflow for creating assets and putting them in a game engine such as udk or even experiment with OS.

I found this neat dvd set for training:
http://walkerboystudio.com/html/game_development_training.html#wbsCompleteVideoSer ies

What do you guys think? 300hrs of training seems legit for $600. I know most of you are going to say: 'free online tutorials', but if you can direct me to some really good and understandable tutorials, then by all means post them here.

neuro
March 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM
get the Gnomon - Introduction To Zbrush 4 With Scott Spencer.zip

we use that for internal training here in the office too.

ideally you want to learn mudbox too, because it's an AMZING texture-painting tool, right on your lowpoly mesh, and has full shader support (normalmaps/shaders/etc) and you can paint in layers too. it's basically photoshop with a proper 3d interface nowadays.

PopeAK49
March 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
get the Gnomon - Introduction To Zbrush 4 With Scott Spencer.zip

we use that for internal training here in the office too.

ideally you want to learn mudbox too, because it's an AMZING texture-painting tool, right on your lowpoly mesh, and has full shader support (normalmaps/shaders/etc) and you can paint in layers too. it's basically photoshop with a proper 3d interface nowadays.

Thanks Neuro, I will have to take a look at gnomon.