PDA

View Full Version : Good gaming mouse for ~$60?

ThePlague
May 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM
My RAT 5 took a crap on me a week ago and i've been having to use a 20 dollar mouse that i've had forever, and after awhile the thing gives me carpal tunnel.

I was thinking the Steelseries D3 mouse (http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Diablo-III-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B005L38QK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338508825&sr=1-2), or maybe the Steelseries Kana (http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Kana-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B005M2KS12/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338509268&sr=1-1).

I just want something that I can game with (D3, Bf3) that has decent dpi, more than 3 buttons, wired, and isn't crap.

Pooky
May 31st, 2012, 07:25 PM
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/optical-gaming-mouse-g400

ThePlague
May 31st, 2012, 07:39 PM
What about these two:
Cooler master Storm Inferno (http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Inferno-Gaming-SGM-4000-KLLN1-GP/dp/B003ZMF26W/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1338509914&sr=8-43)
Razer Deathadder Black (http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-RZ01-00151400-R3/dp/B002Q4U5DK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338509655&sr=8-1)

Pooky
May 31st, 2012, 07:43 PM
idk. Personally, I've never had a bad experience with a Logitech product. I had my Logitech MX518 mouse for 6+ years of hardcore gaming without having a single problem. It only failed because I yanked the cord out. The G400 is the MX518's successor, and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

As for Razer, I've never had anything but bad/mediocre experiences with them.

I've never bought a Steelseries mouse, but I do have their 6Gv2 keyboard and love it.

Amit
May 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Do yourself a favour and cut the marketing crap for an "elite" gaming mouse. Personally I've had no issue using this Dell Premium Optical mouse for FPS games for the past two years and I don't suck, so that has to be saying something. If you insist on throwing down cash for a mouse, do it for something that will actually benefit you. Go with the G400.

Pooky
May 31st, 2012, 08:59 PM
I agree that spending 80+ dollars on a mouse is a waste of money for most people, but there's absolutely a big difference between your average desktop mouse and a gaming mouse. It's like the difference between an economy car and a sports car.

Amit
May 31st, 2012, 09:06 PM
I totally agree. It all depends on the needs of the application. For FPS games, you don't really need anything crazy, just something that will handle you up to 800-1000 DPI. Unless you have a pretty old mouse with a really low DPI, that is when you might have issues with sniping. The thing about those super high DPI mice is that you're not likely to ever end up in a situation where you would need that much precision unless you're playing some crazy long range sniping in ARMA II or something.

Pooky
May 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM
DPI isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be anyway. I've always been a low sensitivity kind of guy. If I need to turn faster, I just move the mouse faster.

Cagerrin
May 31st, 2012, 09:15 PM
For 60 bucks, the best mouse you'll ever buy is the MX518, unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find these days.

Donut
May 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM
i got the rat 5 on your recommendation plauge, and ive loved the thing ever since i first used it. if youre used to it, you might as well get another one, unless youre concerned about the overall quality of the product

TVTyrant
May 31st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Any time I play CS on my friend's machine, the difference between his mouse and mine is obvious. A gaming mouse is a necessity if you play >10 hours a weak.

ThePlague
May 31st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Okay so I guess I will go with the G400.

BobtheGreatII
May 31st, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have a G500:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/gaming-mouse-g500

(http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/gaming-mouse-g500)It's a little more than you were thinking... but it's nice... and the weights are great too.

neuro
June 1st, 2012, 12:35 AM
i have a mouse, which i consider to be the best mouse ever, yet it's from some obscure brand, and i can't even find it on the internet.

it's a brand called 'it works' as in I.T.-works
at the bottom it's just labelled 'gaming mouse' and that's exactly what it is and does.
it's got the most perfect shape ever, was dirt-cheap, i've been using it for OVER 5 years now, and you can change it's sensitivity on the fly with a button on the top (4 levels)
also it has cool blue lights n shit

ThePlague
June 1st, 2012, 01:06 AM
I went and bought the G400, and said fuck it and bought the Razer Nostromo, because I've wanted it for ages.

Amit
June 1st, 2012, 01:37 AM
lol Why would you buy the Nostromo when you already have a keyboard?...Unless you're worried about wearing out your keyboard.

I was going to buy a G500 (despite the nightmare stories I've heard about drivers and Setpoint software) using a 35% off coupon, but it wouldn't work once I applied the code to the checkout and the customer support did jack and shit to help so I didn't end up buying it. Would have been a great buy. Oh well, I spent that money on my Antec One case instead.

BobtheGreatII
June 1st, 2012, 01:49 AM
Really? I mean... I haven't used anything but stock drivers for the thing... Haven't had an issue with it.

Cortexian
June 1st, 2012, 02:01 AM
Logitech G500 is a great mouse.

Also, I recommended you get a Logitech instead of that Cyborg RAT IIRC. Told you so!

king_nothing_
June 1st, 2012, 03:35 AM
lol Why would you buy the Nostromo when you already have a keyboard?...Unless you're worried about wearing out your keyboard.
Eh. This is kinda like the ESDF vs. WASD discussion; if the advantages aren't immediately obvious to you, there's probably not a big chance that someone explaining it is going to do any good. I'll give it a go anyway though.

It's simply more convenient for gaming than a keyboard (makes sense seeing as how it's designed specifically for gaming whereas a keyboard is not). I mean, just look at the thing. If you bind your forward, back, and strafe left/right to the thumb pad, you only have to use your thumb for movement compared to three fingers for WASD, which frees up four fingers for keybinds. If you're not comfortable using the thumb pad for movement, then you can bind the eight different directions on it to whatever you want and just set up the finger buttons like WASD. It has 14 easily-reachable buttons for your fingers, the rows of which are aligned with each other as opposed to the offset rows on a keyboard. It has a scroll wheel.

I almost got one, but I got a Razer Naga instead.

Limited
June 1st, 2012, 04:37 AM
I got a Microsoft X8 Sidewinder mouse, it does the job and goes up to 4000 DPI (which I always use), I just lower setting on any game/windows to suit my speed.

Pooky
June 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM

I was going to buy a G500 (despite the nightmare stories I've heard about drivers and Setpoint software) using a 35% off coupon, but it wouldn't work once I applied the code to the checkout and the customer support did jack and shit to help so I didn't end up buying it. Would have been a great buy. Oh well, I spent that money on my Antec One case instead.

Logitech actually doesn't even use SetPoint anymore. They have a driver just called 'gaming software' or something like that. It's way better than SetPoint ever was, and less obnoxious to navigate. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Amit
June 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
I know, I use Logitech Gaming Software with my G110 keyboard, but older products like the G500 are not supported by the LGS application so people with the older products still have to use Setpoint or do without. From what I've heard, you're better off not using any special software at all with products that only work on Setpoint since Setpoint doesn't work properly on Windows 7 or something like that.

Pooky
June 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Huh, well that's kind of silly.

Amit
June 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah. Logitech is becoming pretty lazy when it comes to supporting their older products. They'll send you a new mouse no problem, but they can't seem to find the time to fix their own software.

Mr Buckshot
June 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM
My Mionix NAOS 5000 cost me $50 on sale.

Don't really care that much about the excessive dpis or the cool lights, but the ergonomics and the thumb buttons (these things need to be standard on all consumer mice srsly) were what attracted me. For my laptop I use a $30 Logitech M510 wireless, no "gaming DPI" aspects but it has thumb buttons and good ergonomics. My previous mouse was a Logitech MX518 which I still have for backup, and actually is quite reliable and responsive. However Logitech's Setpoint software is crap bloatware, so I prefer mice that can store settings in memory so I don't need to keep a special program running to use my features.

just wondering, how many of you actually feel an improvement in your gaming performance when using these fancy mice? I myself sometimes doubt the value of my own NAOS 5000, after seeing my friend pwn the CS scoreboards regularly using his generic 3 button $5 mouse which probably has less dpi than my wireless.

Amit
June 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
I feel that most modern optical mice with at least one thumb button is good enough. I have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 7000 that I bought back in 2008 and I used it up until about 2 years ago. Somehow I started using the Dell Premium Optical Mouse and when I tried to go back to the Wireless Laser Mouse 7000, it was way too sensitive. I even turned down the sensitivity in both games and Microsoft Mouse, but still it was way too high and I came back to this generic mouse. I could spend time getting used to the 7000 again, but I doubt it would really help me.

Cortexian
June 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
All the existing "G Series" gaming peripherals are supposed to be redone to work with the LGS soonish.

I've had nothing but problems with LGS when it comes to my G930 headset though. The old stand-alone drivers it had were WAAAAY better.

Donut
June 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
just wondering, how many of you actually feel an improvement in your gaming performance when using these fancy mice? I myself sometimes doubt the value of my own NAOS 5000, after seeing my friend pwn the CS scoreboards regularly using his generic 3 button $5 mouse which probably has less dpi than my wireless.
im primarily a bad company 2 player. i have a cyborg rat 5. i use the front thumb button for toggling crouch, and the back thumb button for throwing grenades. middle click is knife, and left and right click are fire and aim down sight, respectively. i cannot even begin to tell you how fantastic just being able to crouch without losing movement is (re: moving a finger from WASD). that alone is worth the money, but if i were to bind, say, arm/disarm MCOM to the button i use for grenades, i would retain full movement and weapon functionality while arming and disarming MCOMs. the dpi switch allows me to have a comfortable sentitivity in tanks and on foot, at the click of a button.

and in battlefield 3, i linked the precision aim button (essentially a third thumb button) to "go to prone", so i can retain my controls from bad company 2, while using the new functions for battlefield 3.

for something like css, the only thing you really need is high dpi. all the extra buttons wont help you as much. the idea here, for me at least, is to get as many controls as possible away from WASD so i can always focus on movement, regardless of what im doing.

Pooky
June 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Considering that when I first got my Logitech MX518 I was coming off an ancient rubber ball mouse, I noticed a massive difference. Really though, it's like any other tool. You can get the job done with a cheap piece of shit, but it's certainly easier and more practical to use quality hardware.

DarkHalo003
June 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
My RAT 5 took a crap on me a week ago and i've been having to use a 20 dollar mouse that i've had forever, and after awhile the thing gives me carpal tunnel.

I was wondering why you would actually need a $60 gaming mouse. Then I realized they are probably designed to better work with the physiology of the hand. I may get one too one day, but I fucking hate wireless mouses because I can tell there is a millisecond lag between the output of the click and the input. Not that it would matter, but it does bother me like OCD.

Pooky
June 4th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I was wondering why you would actually need a $60 gaming mouse. Then I realized they are probably designed to better work with the physiology of the hand. I may get one too one day, but I fucking hate wireless mouses because I can tell there is a millisecond lag between the output of the click and the input. Not that it would matter, but it does bother me like OCD.

There are plenty of wired gaming mice. Like the one I posted.

Cortexian
June 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM
No good gaming mouses are wireless anyway.