PDA

View Full Version : How do I disable the flashing?

Joseph
July 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you know how to disable the flashing that appears when you are being shot, specifically with a pistol. I think it may be causing me seizures as every time I get hit rapidly by a pistol and the flashing happens, I tend to get very light headed.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get rid of it for both Halo Custom Edition and Halo Combat evolved.

Thanks, :downs:

supersniper
July 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM
lol what? you mean the whitish flashh ?

rossmum
July 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
The screen flash upon being hit.

It's a damage effect. To remove it in Halo PC you need to mod each and every map as damage effects are stored within them rather than a common file. For CE... I have no idea.

Joseph
July 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
lol what? you mean the whitish flashh ?

Yeah, the whitish flash

The screen flash upon being hit.

It's a damage effect. To remove it in Halo PC you need to mod each and every map as damage effects are stored within them rather than a common file. For CE... I have no idea.

Could you please explain how I can do this? I'm fine with modding each and every map. I only have very little knowledge of HMT, the only actual modding I've done with it is remove the background ambient sounds and teleport sounds for all the maps.

rossmum
July 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Ah, fuck. It's been a long time since I touched Halo PC modding.

I'm going to assume you are capable of finding/installing Halo Map Tools 3.5 yourself (primarily because I don't even know if it's hosted anywhere these days). There may be something newer but I wouldn't know, the last time I modded HPC was about 5 years ago. Open the actual level maps, not bitmaps.map, sounds.map or ui.map, and find something that should be either listed as 'damage' or 'damage effect' in the left tab. Scroll through each one until you find the part marked 'screen flash' and disable it (can't remember if it's got a checkbox or only lists the numerical parameters, sorry). Save the map when done, repeat with the rest.

Joseph
July 6th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Ah, fuck. It's been a long time since I touched Halo PC modding.

I'm going to assume you are capable of finding/installing Halo Map Tools 3.5 yourself (primarily because I don't even know if it's hosted anywhere these days). There may be something newer but I wouldn't know, the last time I modded HPC was about 5 years ago. Open the actual level maps, not bitmaps.map, sounds.map or ui.map, and find something that should be either listed as 'damage' or 'damage effect' in the left tab. Scroll through each one until you find the part marked 'screen flash' and disable it (can't remember if it's got a checkbox or only lists the numerical parameters, sorry). Save the map when done, repeat with the rest.

I found 2 things in the map one was called Damage and the other was called Effect but neither of them had anything I could relate to screen flashing

rossmum
July 6th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Just browse through the tags, I know for certain one of them had it. Try the projectiles, see if that's where it is.

Joseph
July 6th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Went through every single one, and disabled anything with the word flash in it, i did get a few exception datas but eventually fixed them but the white flash still didn't go away.

rossmum
July 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Fuck, that's me out of ideas.

I remember it's definitely a thing, as on several occasions I actually modified them to change colour/duration/opacity/what have you, and there was even neat stuff like an 'invert' flash that would invert all the colours onscreen for a moment. I just can't for the life of me remember what tag it was under, and what values need changing. Some of the CE guys may know, from my occasional HEK adventures I recall that the tag structure for that specific thing was essentially identical to HPC's.

Joseph
July 6th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Damn :( Thanks for the help thou! I think you gave me a push in the right direction, I will continue to play around with it and see if I can eventually get it.

Can anybody else possibly help me out?

supersniper
July 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm looking through HMT right now i'll let you know if I find anything. I haven't modded hpc since like 06

JackalStomper
July 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
The flash function is indeed handled by the bullet damage_effect, as seen here
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3128383/temp/pistolkornman.JPG

however the default plugin that comes with hmt has no option to change it
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3128383/temp/pistolhmt.JPG

if there was ever a custom plugin for hmt that had additional features its most likely long gone by now.
There's always hex editing but fuck if I have the effort finding the addresses.

Pooky
July 6th, 2012, 06:31 PM
You could try these plugins

http://halo2.filefront.com/file/HMT_35_Plugins_Pack;65046

Joseph
July 7th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Yes it worked, I managed to completely rid myself of the annoying flash! Thank you JackalStomper for telling what i needed to edit and thank you Pooky for linking me to the plugin pack that really helped!

But I'm only halfway done, I have only managed to disable the flash for Halo Combat Evolved, Now all that's left is to disable it for Halo Custom Edition and since HMT doesn't work for that, I have very little idea on where to start.

rossmum
July 7th, 2012, 02:39 AM
You could try these plugins

http://halo2.filefront.com/file/HMT_35_Plugins_Pack;65046
Oh, shit. I forgot that I wasn't using the defaults. :downs:

nuttyyayap
July 7th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Yes it worked, I managed to completely rid myself of the annoying flash! Thank you JackalStomper for telling what i needed to edit and thank you Pooky for linking me to the plugin pack that really helped!

But I'm only halfway done, I have only managed to disable the flash for Halo Combat Evolved, Now all that's left is to disable it for Halo Custom Edition and since HMT doesn't work for that, I have very little idea on where to start.

HHT works on custom edition.

Joseph
July 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
HHT works on custom edition.

Yeah I just tried HHT, It dosen't work for custom edition.

nuttyyayap
July 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/DexterAya/1.png
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/DexterAya/Untitled-2.png
Tools\Options set the Custom Edition Bitmaps.map and you're set :downs:

supersniper
July 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
yeah ce is in the bitmaps like nutty said

Joseph
July 7th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Oh i see, thanks.

EDIT: I did manage to turn off the flash using HHT, but once I saved changes, I tried to join a game on the map I modified and it kept saying unable to join game and I couldn't join any games on that particular map.

I also tried using Guerilla to edit the damadge.bullet_effect tags and saved it, but nothing changed ingame. Do I have to somehow apply it to the actual map?

Pooky
July 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM
You can't just edit existing maps with Guerilla, you'd have to create a whole new map which would be incompatible with online servers. There's a method you can use to edit HCE maps with HMT but I don't know whether that would be compatible either

Joseph
July 8th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I'm guessing there's noway to edit CE maps then?

MapleLeaf
July 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I assume it would be possible with an app that does it while haloce is running.

Pooky
July 9th, 2012, 11:43 PM
As I already said, you can edit CE maps by converting them into HPC maps using freely available tools. You'd then have to convert the map back via hex editing though, and even then I'm not sure the resulting map would work online. There used to be tutorials for this stuff a long time ago, but I wouldn't know where to find them now.

At any rate, you may as well just play HPC online. Nobody plays custom maps on CE anymore anyway. Bloodgulch on PC is as good as Bloodgulch on CE.

JackalStomper
July 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM
minus the name tags and fixed rocket hog

Pooky
July 10th, 2012, 05:25 AM
It's Blood Gulch, do we really give a shit.

Joseph
July 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
^ Hahaa, I am indeed sick of Bloodgulch, Have played it way too much and it is the most overplayed and overrated map.

Well guys, thanks for all the help, I actually learned something new :) But it looks like there isn't a way to disable the flash on custom edition :( I guess I will have to stick to Combat Evolved, but if anyone does manage to figure out a way, I would appreciate it if you would let me know, thanks :)

supersniper
July 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Have you tried converting the CE maps to PC then using HMT to edit them, then converting them back to CE with this (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1082)?

MapleLeaf
July 14th, 2012, 09:10 AM
^when you mod ce maps with hmt it doesn't let you play online.

Jelly
July 15th, 2012, 07:46 PM
kum

Ryx
July 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
You have to either crack the map checksum check (oxide or I could do it, I just don't have time over the summer) and just use Eschaton (not HMT) to disable references or turn lights black (they are an alpha value). Anyslut, that's easier than finding each light reference in memory and the offsets for each map (which would be made a bit easier with all the plugins, but still).

That is assuming the map check is by halo, not sent to the server and checked.

Also, if this is who I think it is, sorry I haven't been able to do it but I haven't had time for the past few months, I work at two summer/spring/winter camps, so what little offtime I get is usually spent with my gf or doing something other than gaming. Also, only have internet access 2 days of the week. :(

Joseph
July 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
You have to either crack the map checksum check (oxide or I could do it, I just don't have time over the summer) and just use Eschaton (not HMT) to disable references or turn lights black (they are an alpha value). Anyslut, that's easier than finding each light reference in memory and the offsets for each map (which would be made a bit easier with all the plugins, but still).

That is assuming the map check is by halo, not sent to the server and checked.

Also, if this is who I think it is, sorry I haven't been able to do it but I haven't had time for the past few months, I work at two summer/spring/winter camps, so what little offtime I get is usually spent with my gf or doing something other than gaming. Also, only have internet access 2 days of the week. :(

Magix from DG?

And that sounds complicated, something my tiny brain can't handle, but hopefully I will be able to figure this out.