PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take a pro?

FreedomFighter7
July 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
How long would it take a pro, or a team of pro's to design, and model a map for a game? Especially a map which is the biggest in the franchises history? A few days?

PopeAK49
July 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Depends on detail, engine, and hundreds of factors. For a Cold Snap style, it would take me about 1 week to model and texture the entire bsp using stock textures. And probably another week to polish, fix, and script a few things here and there so the map doesn't have a shit load of bugs (Large maps are probably going to have lots of problems, especially portaling issues). The more custom assets, the longer it will probably take.

BobtheGreatII
July 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Depends. Halo doesn't take nearly as long as say a modern game. As modern games require a lot more detail to look good.

t3h m00kz
July 13th, 2012, 12:47 AM
How long would it take a pro, or a team of pro's to design, and model a map for a game? Especially a map which is the biggest in the franchises history? A few days?

>a few days

LMAO dear god no, are you high

a single person will not work on a level. It goes through layout concepts, concept art, blocking out, art assets, the whole shebang. There are companies like Certain Affinity who are devoted to creating environments and maps for games these days. from personal experience, a series of months is needed for any sort of environment like a multiplayer level to see completion, if not more

PopeAK49
July 13th, 2012, 02:44 AM
>a few days

LMAO dear god no, are you high

a single person will not work on a level. It goes through layout concepts, concept art, blocking out, art assets, the whole shebang. There are companies like Certain Affinity who are devoted to creating environments and maps for games these days. from personal experience, a series of months is needed for any sort of environment like a multiplayer level to see completion, if not more

Especially for professional level gameplay and design.

kid908
July 13th, 2012, 03:20 AM
It will only take a few minutes. All you have to do is grab your laser scanner and let it scan the environment. Then you port it to the game engine and....Bam! All ready to go.

Seriously, it would take a lot longer than a few days to design, model, and release a map. In addition to what has been said before, another thing to consider is the number of people working on the map and how well the team actually function together.

neuro
July 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
lol this thread

okay for ghost recon future warfighter, we had one mapper and one artist working on one level for a few months, going over several iterations etc.

for a large map for say gears of war, such a timeline wouldnt work, because most the time is put into the art assets themselves, and making prefabs out of them, for level designers to make good levels with.

for halo on the other hand, populating something is just a minor thing (no offence mappers)
and most of the work goes into the building of a map in 3ds max, and unwrapping it.

keep in mind that lighting a map properly also takes a good amount of time, though a good lighting artist can light up a large environment properly in a day with a few extra days for details and tweaks.

PopeAK49
July 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Not to mention...The LOD artists...

neuro
July 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
that's only at crytek

Zeph
July 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
that's only at crytek

I'm deeply hoping you mean time of day.
I'm only wondering because I see what kind of people they have hired in what places.
It wouldn't surprise me.

PenGuin1362
July 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Actually I took a test (not for crytek) that required LOD's it was for a prop position

PopeAK49
July 15th, 2012, 09:40 PM
rofl. This thread.

neuro
July 16th, 2012, 08:53 AM
yeah making LODs != LOD-artist

as in they ONLY make LODs for shit.

and yeah the kind of people they hire at crytek and then give them a SENIOR title makes me weep inside.
it's a tragedy, that company.

Zeph
July 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, their web personnel especially make me cringe.

t3h m00kz
July 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Non disclosure agreements are cool