PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound Systems

Limited
December 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Hey folks

So I'm looking into a surround system for my main tv. Its not an overly fancy tv, just a Samsung HD Ready 32inch I believe. Now I want to upgrade the sound and also get it in a Blurray player bundle as it currently only has a DVD player, but don't know much about surround sound.

Heres my 'feature list' I would like to have.

5.1 Channel, 2.1 is no damn point.
Blurray player - 3D isnt needed as the tv isnt 3D.
Wifi-ready/included is not needed. As long as you can upgrade the firmware via ethernet/usb thats good enough.
Has 2 of the 'pillar' style speakers, not a fan of having those lots of the chunky (floor type?) ones, the rest could be the regular style.

So yeah if you could shed some light that'd be awesome.

Edit:
By pillar, I refer to this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71FmY%2BPScEL._AA1500_.jpg

Bodzilla
December 18th, 2012, 05:37 PM
personally i dont like these surround systems.
I think they just dont have the mid-range balls of a more traditional speaker system.

i might be wrong on this, but it's what it sounds like to me.

Warsaw
December 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM
^ But that's also a function of not having the curve set up properly to compensate. I prefer cabinets, though.

I think you'll want to get a proper audio receiver for maximum enjoyment.

Amit
December 18th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I think you'll want to get a proper audio receiver for maximum enjoyment.

This. If you're not an audiophile, those speakers will probably do fine.

Patrickssj6
December 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM
file or phile...that is the question

Higuy
December 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Those speakers would do alright but like others said might want to get a better receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004U403S6

^ that is the one I have, works out great becuase it comes with an ipod dock (which has a user interface that comes up on the screen), lots of HDMI inputs, and good for 5.1 surround sound. For speakers I have all PolkAudio speakers, two smaller ones mounted in the back, two large ones that stand up on the floor (pillar), a big middle one that sits ontop of the receiver, and a 12" sub. I've had these polkaudio speakers for like almost a year now, they are fabulous and still work great even when I crank it up high.

BTW, not sure if you use PS3 or Xbox, but I use PS3 as my Bluray/DVD Player. Xbox works just as fine, minus the Bluray