PDA

View Full Version : Tolkien nerds please report in!

Cortexian
January 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM
So a friend is a bit confused on the "power structure" in Tolkien's world. I'm trying to draw out a diagram for him, but I don't remember a lot of it (been quite a long time since I read the entire Silmarillion). Does the following look about right? I'm mostly just outlining the higher powers since Elves, Dwaves, and Men are basically all of the same power except for the obvious differences (Elves are immortal, Dwarves are long-lived and strong, Men are boring and normal)...

Does the following look about right? If you want to write up more detail and contribute to it, even by adding the more mundane races like men and such then feel free!

http://i.imgur.com/PHNhV.jpg

n00b1n8R
January 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Tom should be rank 0

n00b1n8R
January 2nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Cortexian again

pretty sure I never repped you, why can't I -rep D:

Bodzilla
January 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
how new?

teh lag
January 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
This is quite an impressive diagram, it looks like you've put a lot of thought and work into it.

Patrickssj6
January 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Freelancers waste much time

Amit
January 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Looks correct to me. Is this person reading the Silmarillion now? Or are you just trying to explain it to them?

Cortexian
January 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm just trying to explain it to them without confusing myself or him. Like, explaining how the Valar and Maiar are both Ainur but of different tiers.

And Tom would likely share the top tier with Eru, some have theorized that Tom is a physical manifestation of Eru as well.

n00b1n8R
January 3rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
And Tom would likely share the top tier with Eru, some have theorized that Tom is a physical manifestation of Eru as well.

Tolkien accepted that he'd sort of made it out that way but it was never his intention to imply that Tom was Eru in any way.

Cortexian
January 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah but Tom himself says that he was around before Arda existed, but he was never created. So that's just kinda the only real assumption, that he's either a manifestation of Eru or that he's some other kind of god-being that just exists for the sake of existing.

Amit
January 4th, 2013, 03:47 AM
And that is why I don't believe in god. Things don't just exist.