View Full Version : Smile or Die

Bodzilla
June 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
u5um8QWWRvo
Whats you're opinion on this guys?

rossmum
June 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM
hahaha THE INVISIBLE HAND

Good lecture, as usual for these guys, and I think it's right on the money. Everywhere I look, people don't want to hear the truth if it's scary or potentially hurtful, they'd rather live in their bubbles. I think all of us who ever paid attention to the quick crit thread back in the day would have seen this quite a lot.

Optimism as a social control in the USSR was also definitely a thing, and let me tell you, it worked really fucking well until the whole house of cards came tumbling down. To an extent, I think it still exerts quite a force on those who grew up there as well as left-wingers the world over, and it's not always a helpful one.

Bodzilla
June 5th, 2013, 04:18 AM
really, no one else has an opinion on an argument framed like that?

TVTyrant
June 5th, 2013, 04:57 AM
I don't know if I have much of a reaction other than a general sense of agreement. I think she made a great point and expressed it in a way that made it convincing. Though really, you could watch the movie Office Space and figure out that exact same thing.

neuro
June 12th, 2013, 04:11 AM
idk, i try to keep myself positive, and it makes me positive and happy.

if shit comes on my path, i try to look on the bright side a bit, and just deal with it.
granted, this shit is obviously taken too far in the examples the guy mentions.
i just think there's nothing wrong with being positively attitude'd and sharing positivity with others and such.

however as soon as it enters the realm of 'smile or get fired' you're doing it wrong, there's nothing positive about that.

tl;dr: moderation is key?