PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for non-admins to cause connection problems with other players?

clown
June 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I don't want to sound paranoid, but this morning on deathisland server there was this ceasarcjr or crj or something like that. The first game I played I was on his team and there were only three in total. The game acted normal throughout. The guy on the other team was kinda bad so the next game I switched teams. I killed ceasar a few times and then a little grey and red box at the bottom of the screen came up for about 15 seconds then I got booted and given a disconnection from network error, then a gamespy error. I joined again, got the flag and halfway back to my base the same thing. I was feeling stuborn so I kept joining and maybe 6 or 7 times had the same thing happen. Most of the times right after I kill this ceasar dude. Eventually I gave up and played another server and had no issues at all.

I've never had any problems with the modacity servers and they're the ones I play the most. I have another computer that I use like a tv so if it was an internet issue on my part the other computer would have likely had some lag or buffering, but it was fine. If it was the server the other players would have been effected too I would think.

Is it possible for some douche to cause a disconnect? I know there are people out there who can make other players lag, but this is just a straight up disconnect and it was over and over again.

Donut
June 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I don't know if "halo boom" is still a thing, but I recall hearing something a while back about being able to crash older versions of halo with that program. I think that just crashes the server though, not the people playing. Can't say for sure.

Patrickssj6
June 24th, 2013, 12:38 PM
afaik the IP of other players is not visible. feasible would be an exploit in SAPP?

sehe
June 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I just checked Modacity servers and they're using Sapp 3.0 which is a pretty old version (almost 2 years), guess because from v3.2 most of the files has been changed to UCS-2 LE encoding.
Although I don't remember if it ever had such exploit, I'd recommend to update it to the latest version.
Also, that server uses another mod, not only Sapp.