PDA

View Full Version : RIP Halo

Rentafence
April 3rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
GameSpy servers shutting down May 31st welp, :iamafag:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/223edx/gamespys_master_servers_are_shutting_down_may_31/

Dwood
April 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
To open sauce for a custom server list?

Tnnaas
April 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
http://puu.sh/7UWYR.gif

Direct IP servers it is then. At least Halo has that option, unlike some modern games that would just die because their server browsers shut down.

Warsaw
April 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Can't patch it to use RakNet? Battlezone II used GameSpy, but the community shifted it over to RakNet with a patch.

InnerGoat
April 3rd, 2014, 05:56 PM
Where's Kornman he will make a new master server pls ty BR?

InnerGoat
April 3rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
actually maybe the game is going to show up on steam :allears:

sehe
April 3rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
Actually, I already have a global server since a year or so, for SAPP servers: http://xhalo.tk/serverlist/
Combined with HAC2, Halo could be "saved" easily.

Amit
April 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Actually, I already have a global server since a year or so, for SAPP servers: http://xhalo.tk/serverlist/
Combined with HAC2, Halo could be "saved" easily.

Is this some clever ploy to rule all Halo servers and make us your underlings for all eternity?!

http://i.imgur.com/wVvf0.gif

sehe
April 3rd, 2014, 06:36 PM
Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/43EqfC4.png

PlasbianX
April 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Any announcements in regards to a new service taking its place? At least when GFWL closed down, most games announced switching to Steam servers.

n00b1n8R
April 3rd, 2014, 09:32 PM
;_;

leorimolo
April 3rd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Halo 3 on steam please. They killed EVERYTHING

Amit
April 3rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
They announced that Age of Mythology coming to Steam in May. Anyone see a trend from M$ here? 2012, AoE3. 2013, AoE2. 2014, AoM. I wonder what's coming next year. If they are re-releasing classic smash-hit games chronologically since the AoE2 release, then Halo: Combat Evolved will be next year.

/speculation

Go wild. :woop:

mywarthog
April 3rd, 2014, 11:30 PM
If the game went to Steam, SAPP, No CD Checks, Name hacks, HAC2, OpenSauce, etc would be taken away from the game. It'd go to SteamPipe and Sourcemod (maybe). But most mods would be gone for sure.

t3h m00kz
April 4th, 2014, 02:13 AM
WHAT BULLSHIT

itszutak
April 4th, 2014, 03:37 AM
opensauce save us

t3h m00kz
April 4th, 2014, 03:51 AM
kornman save us plz i'll suck your dick

t3h m00kz
April 4th, 2014, 03:52 AM
n-

no homo

Amit
April 4th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Maybe Secret Sauce (https://code.google.com/p/secret-sauce/) is the contingency plan!

Save us Kornmagicman!

Zeph
April 4th, 2014, 04:17 PM
actually maybe the game is going to show up on steam :allears:

oh, you

Donut
April 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
The Battlefield forums have been pretty upset about this too. I guess every Battlefield game before BF3 relies on GameSpy. I can't get a clear answer on whether or not Bad Company 2 is going to be affected or not. Half the people I ask say yes, the other half say it uses some other server browser. One guy said it only uses GameSpy for downloading the initial map packs and stuff.

Anybody know for sure? I know we have a lot of BC2 players here too.

Kornman00
April 4th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Was trying to find some cloud hosting that could run a custom master server...but given that I don't know how much bandwidth or active memory it would require, my guesstimates in the resources needed still put it at a 30$/mo charge

t3h m00kz
April 5th, 2014, 05:18 AM
are the warm recesses of my mouth not worth $30/mo

nohomo

Reaper Man
April 5th, 2014, 10:34 AM
:C welp, gotta play as much Halo as I can. Perfect timing, because I just became unemployed :downs:

sehe
April 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Why every1 ignores my comment? We are already working on a GS emulator, and it will be hosted in 3 different places for maximum reliability, my dedi, Btcc's dedi, and Harbinger offered RealWorld's dedi to support us. Clients will be able to query the list with HAC2, and servers with SAPP and Phasor will be updated to report status to the MS emulator, but we'll probably also release a dll for other servers.

mywarthog
April 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Why every1 ignores my comment? We are already working on a GS emulator, and it will be hosted in 3 different places for maximum reliability, my dedi, Btcc's dedi, and Harbinger offered RealWorld's dedi to support us. Clients will be able to query the list with HAC2, and servers with SAPP and Phasor will be updated to report status to the MS emulator, but we'll probably also release a dll for other servers.

Because putting it bluntly, the Halo population for the most part is, well, stupid.

This is going to kill half of the Halo population as it is. Unless we can somehow convince GameSpy to put a MOTD in the lobby, and a popup message on lobby entry saying to download HAC2/OpenSuace/Whatever in x different languages, in both PC and CE, most of the Halo players are going to be gone, anyways.

sehe
April 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Not sure, Btcc made a fix for Halo trial (when GS closed that list), where you can assume the most fucking morons you can find on Halo play, yet they were able to download and apply the fix. Just like when it's about cheating, for playing games free these "spanish-ish" players are very resourceful.

+ this doesn't change of the fact that we are still making an emu, and don't have money problems either.

mywarthog
April 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Not sure, Btcc made a fix for Halo trial (when GS closed that list), where you can assume the most fucking morons you can find on Halo play, yet they were able to download and apply the fix. Just like when it's about cheating, for playing games free these "spanish-ish" players are very resourceful.

+ this doesn't change of the fact that we are still making an emu, and don't have money problems either.

I didn't say it should, hell, I'll probably be playing using it as well. I'm just saying... don't be surprised when the population of the game takes a nose dive.

Also... comparing it to Trial isn't really applicable. Trial had a lot less players than CE did, IIRC. And as far as Spanish players, it's more likely to get new ones than it is to retain old ones. Most of them probably don't even know that GS is shutting down.

Personal reccomendation: All SAPP server users, Phasor server users, H-Ext server users, etc should put a note in rotation using custom commands and events in English and whatever other languages you see people using on your servers informing them about the situation, and alerting them to HAC2, and server owners to SAPP/Phasor/H-Ext/etc.

Stock server owners can do this to, simply by putting something in the MOTD of their servers.

sehe
April 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Yes good idea, we could've think of this, hmmm.... even tough I'd have to "enforce" them, aka once per hour or so like that server admins can't disable it, but I think I'll still do that, it's more important, let's say 2-3 weeks before May 31.

itszutak
April 5th, 2014, 02:05 PM
didn't [group in charge of halo MOTD] once allow a non-[group] MOTD? Or some sort of really late patch?

As far as I know the halo patch checker still works; perhaps whoever hosts that can be convinced to put in a GS fix patch, if the community makes one.

...Definitely a pipe dream, but just throwing it out there. Honestly I think this is the end of haloPC multiplayer :(

Btcc22
April 5th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Bungie are still 'in charge' of Halo PC.

Kornman00
April 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Because I'm not interested in a closed source emulator that someone else is 'maintaining', nor looking at just supporting Halo, and I'm interested in extending the protocol GS had in play for us to use in OS.

edit: after all, OS isn't limited to the dedi. The master server also provided a service for games hosted within the client.

sehe
April 5th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I see yes, this was my the first guess why modacity community dislikes me, cuz I only develop closed source projects. :)

Anyways, making an OS-only master server won't save Halo, but if it's not your goal then fine. I'd prefer making my own protocol too tbh, but Btcc wants a proper GS emulator, for the maximum compatibility with every server, so it would be even possible to "fix" this "problem" with a hosts file redirection, and generally it makes easier to patch servers and clients.

Kornman00
April 5th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I wasn't talking about making an OS-only master server. Instead, a master server which also supports OS-extensions for those servers/games running OS.

mywarthog
April 5th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I would like to also see support added for the HAC2/SAPP custom query tags in the server browser, where it scrolls the servers information/game rules.

sehe
April 6th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Yes, and I'd like to see Halo on CryENGINE® 3. ^^'

Anyways, first let's make a working emulator, then the other features (if there will be still players).

Con
April 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm with Korn on this one. If the game doesn't get updated, I would rather see an open source solution because it...

Can be built collaboratively and transparently
Can be maintained well into the future without relying on some group to "hand it off"
Is more trustworthy
Doesn't rely on fragile closed-source client change

edit: happy 7,777 posts me

sehe
April 6th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I understand your worries, but;

This is not such a big project that would require many people, even we 2 are "too much" for this, more would just slow down the process
We will handle this until there are players on Halo, but anyways
We will make it open for read when we have a proper release
You can be sure that the client won't change anymore

Happy 7777 posts :)

Kornman00
April 7th, 2014, 04:29 AM
You know, because online petitions actually get stuff to happen, especially when they're pointed at MS: https://www.change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer

Pretty sure the petition has a typo too. I don't see "open source Halo1" anywhere

sehe
April 7th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Yes it's fucking ridic, and people keep spamming me this shit on xfire. Reached 3k LOL, guess we better start informing people about our emu with SAPP...

Timo
April 7th, 2014, 04:56 AM
10/10 would help pay costs

Surprised they've kept them up for this long to be honest - what has it been, 11 years?

Reaper Man
April 8th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Who's down to play some CE before it goes down (if it does)? Nobody's playing any custom maps right now, it's depressing.

Kornman00
April 8th, 2014, 07:58 AM
bad guy CE: gets HEK, still plays blood gulch

Morkon2112
April 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Who's down to play some CE before it goes down (if it does)? Nobody's playing any custom maps right now, it's depressing.

I'm trying to gauge interest in running a custom map server, my thread is here (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?25366-With-all-the-talk-of-Gamespy-anyone-up-for-playing-some-custom-maps)

Amit
April 8th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Christ almighty. So many good games I didn't realize would get the axe: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/

SWBFII D:

The GameRanger faggots may be our only hope: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/cgmuoi3

Might I also say: GameRanger is a piece of shit.

Kornman00
April 8th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Didn't it start out as a Mac thing? Maybe the Windows version just blows ass.

Amit
April 8th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I've used both. They both blow ass.

DarkHalo003
April 9th, 2014, 04:33 AM
I'm surprised GameSpy lasted this long.

That said, it's plausible Steam could pick up the games. There's a good bit of chatter about it for around a year now. Just being hopeful.

nuttyyayap
April 9th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Does this mean it's over for Open Sauce?

Dwood
April 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Does this mean it's over for Open Sauce?

What? no.

itszutak
April 10th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Does this mean it's over for Open Sauce?This puts OS in a better position because now the focus is on singleplayer levels and OS really makes those better IMO

Amit
April 11th, 2014, 03:52 PM
That's assuming everyone doesn't just give up and stop playing Halo entirely. It'll become one of those relic games of the past that has singleplayer mods coming for it, but really, nobody will care all that much.

Let's hope M$ aren't scumbags and tell us that they plan to keep the multiplayer up. EA came out yesterday and said that they would keep all BF servers running, so what is stopping a company like Microsoft from doing the same?

Tnnaas
April 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM
EA came out yesterday and said that they would keep all BF servers running, so what is stopping a company like Microsoft from doing the same?
:effort:

PlasbianX
April 12th, 2014, 01:42 AM

But it's EA. They have no effort. http://www.chatslang.com/images/shortcuts/twitch/admins/kappa.png

Zeph
April 12th, 2014, 02:44 AM
It's a numbers game. They tried to shut down H2V because GFWL was reporting only a handful of people playing. I know it's a very different set of people, but remember the push to get 10k people actively playing CE so it would get some more support? Yeah, we got 10k people and......

Btcc22
April 12th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah, we got 10k people and......

Oh, the number of promises and false hopes from Gearbox. Still waiting for the new netcode that Randy told us was in the works. :allears:

At least they did one of the promised balance changes on CE by removing the Ghost firing player stun.

Donut
April 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I was talking to moses about that a couple days ago. He said they removed all the stun. As in, it's still there in the weapon tags, but nothing happens unless stun is enabled from the console.

Btcc22
April 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM
May as well have deleted the Covie weapons (except FRG) at the same time.

Kornman00
April 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Are you talking about stun_enable? Because that's been in the engine since the Xbox and is always false (unless the player changes it). Looking at the code that references that global, there's nothing new that uses it in CE from H1X

Timo
April 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
It's a numbers game. They tried to shut down H2V because GFWL was reporting only a handful of people playing. I know it's a very different set of people, but remember the push to get 10k people actively playing CE so it would get some more support? Yeah, we got 10k people and......

Wasn't it 1000 players online at once? I can't remember what they promised to release if it happened though.

Donut
April 12th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Are you talking about stun_enable? Because that's been in the engine since the Xbox and is always false (unless the player changes it). Looking at the code that references that global, there's nothing new that uses it in CE from H1X
Yes that's what I'm talking about. So weapons that have stun attached to them retain that stun ability despite stun_enable being false?

Btcc22
April 12th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Wasn't it 1000 players online at once? I can't remember what they promised to release if it happened though.

Yeah, it was 1,000. Amusing that a decade later, the game hits several times that number each and every evening.

If its more fans that Halo needs, then we'll get them. But you have to hold up your end of the bargain, if we get more fans, then you have to update it.

Dude, that commitment was made.

Check Hellface's posts right around the launch of Halo CE...

I'll make it even more clear: if I see more than 1,000 people playing Halo: CE during a peak hour I will petition the Gearbox team to do at least one more patch that fixes a couple of the CE issues and any other low-hanging fruit the team can do safely.

If that has a positive effect on numbers, I'll push them to commit to doing more.

I think Gearbox was pretty open about the fact that this thing is on its own and it was going to live or die by the grass roots support of the community...

We're sitting here as bastard children to Bungie with no authority and no budget. But we do have a team that loves the game and wants very much to see it go as far as it could go.

n00b1n8R
April 14th, 2014, 02:35 AM
god randy is a douche

Higuy
April 16th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Anyone else see that Martin O Donnell got fired from Bungie?

RIP HALO

Warsaw
April 16th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Considering that most of the team left after Halo: Combat Evolved and how he's one of the last remaining persons from that era, I'd say Halo has been dead a lot longer than many think.

Cortexian
April 21st, 2014, 08:38 PM
I might be able to help with hosting (http://i.imgur.com/ugYURtR.jpg)...

What kind of environment and bandwidth are we talking about?

Amit
April 23rd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Well, seeing as Korn said he doesn't know the bandwidth levels, would anyone else know? Is it possible for anyone to know or estimate? It would depend on the number of servers being used, right?

Btcc22
April 24th, 2014, 07:15 AM
It's difficult to estimate but for Halo alone, I'd go with very low.

Cortexian
April 25th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Yeah, the master server just provides two way communication for the clients to the servers so the clients can see a list of all servers. That seems like it would be very low bandwidth. One of those crappy $15/month cloud VPS machines could probably very easily host something like this. Heck, if something could be created that allowed for failover redundancy to other master servers if connection to one fails, multiple people could likely just host master servers from decent home connections.

Kornman00
April 25th, 2014, 02:16 PM
The MS also provdes NAT services to players/servers that need it, but that should be pretty lightweight too

Amit
April 25th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Are we getting somewhere? Please for the love of Master Chief tell me we're getting somewhere :smithicide:

n00b1n8R
April 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM
are eye pee gay-low

n00b1n8R
April 27th, 2014, 08:10 PM
can anybody recommend a good not-dead multiplayer PC FPS?

Warsaw
April 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Well, I've been playing the shit out of Mechwarrior Online. The UI is shit and the game likes to give you the boot ever now and then, but it's fun enough to keep me coming back.

Donut
April 27th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I've still been playing Bad Company 2 after 3 years, but I feel like that probably isn't your type of game. There are plenty of players still around, but many of them have pretty bad ping, which can lead to irritatingly sluggish hit detection.

Still, after over 500 hours of play time, every time I play BC2 I feel like I can push myself to learn new play styles and strategies with various guns. Probably my favorite online FPS game of all time, with Halo 1 being a close second.

TeeKup
April 27th, 2014, 11:50 PM
MechDerp online. Shits pretty chill WHEN YOUR FUCKING TEAMMATES DON'T HAVE THE IQ OF MOUNTAIN ROCKS.

Warsaw
April 28th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Hey man, you don't need teammates to rake in the C-bills...

InnerGoat
April 28th, 2014, 07:17 AM
play sum buttfield 4

Cortexian
April 28th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Goat Simulator

InnerGoat
April 28th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I wish goat sim had multiplayer with achievements and leveling and weapon unlocks and stuff. basically call of duty: goats

Warsaw
April 28th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Call of Goatse...

InnerGoat
April 29th, 2014, 07:37 AM
goat space program

stunt_man
April 29th, 2014, 01:45 PM
What frustrates me the most is the suspense. Why haven't any of the responsible parties addressed this yet? If they're going to let it shut down, they ought to at least tell the community so we can make preparations. And that's at the very least (other, more desirable alternatives would be most welcome, but that goes without saying).

Cortexian
April 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Honesetly, if the master server gets shut down, I would expect Kornman or someone to implement a new one in addition to a client patch that adds some needed features to the client <-> dedicated server operations. I'd love to see map downloading from the server be widely adopted, but that won't happen until people are forced to update their clients.

Compatible with SAPP of course, since it's the most widely used and fully featured server app right now.

Tnnaas
April 30th, 2014, 11:40 AM
The Halo 1 series for PC can now be played on GameRanger and won't suffer the fate of the server shutdowns next month:
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo: Combat Evolved Demo
Halo: Custom Edition

http://www.gameranger.com/news/

Higuy
April 30th, 2014, 03:09 PM
You'd still have to download gameranger in order to use their master server, its just another 3rd party solution.

Kornman00
April 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Fuck GameRanger, the only good Ranger is a Spartan Ranger (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIgaIBo9Js).

PopeAK49
April 30th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Fuck GameRanger, the only good Ranger is a Spartan Ranger (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIgaIBo9Js).

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02334/direct-line-church_2334010b.jpg

t3h m00kz
May 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
game ranger i've never heard of your fucking ass before but omg thank you

just dont be a pieceo f shit

stunt_man
May 5th, 2014, 01:34 PM
It doesn't seem to support dedicated servers, only P2P servers hosted from within the app.

Oh and it runs ads before you join a server.

thx but no thx

t3h m00kz
May 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
yeah it's kinda gross.. better than nothing, but gross

InnerGoat
May 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Oh and it runs ads
wow no wonder nobody has heard of it! :downs:

Amit
May 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
The GameRanger faggots may be our only hope: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/cgmuoi3

Might I also say: GameRanger is a piece of shit.

I told you.

Cortexian
May 6th, 2014, 11:15 PM
We need to get on a community-based solution that only requires a client patch/update/etc, instead of relying on a third-party app that we need to download and install that is terrible.

Kornman?!

I can provide fail-over master-server hosting if required, though I am not a good choice as a primary host since the connection I have, although business class, is still in a residental area and subject to congestion and downtime (although usually less than once a year for any more than a couple seconds).

This is a perfect opportunity for the Halo CE community to upgrade as a whole to a single version of the game with additional features such as map downloading from the dedicated server and various other server and client improvements (multi-team vehicles and Open Sauce HUD type fixes for all)!

I really hope Kornman or someone can put out a nice package that people can EASILY download, which installs Halo CE for them with all the needed files to connect to a new version of the game which has various improvements and additional features. Would be cool if updates could be pushed from the community this way as well to add server-sided features or improve modability and the like.

=sw=warlord
May 7th, 2014, 06:30 AM
It's also a good time to make open sauce the primary version of the game being run as well.
If it's the only version that'll still be able to be played after GS closes the servers then it'll encourage people to pick it up if they want to keep playing.

Cortexian
May 7th, 2014, 11:22 AM
^ Exactly.

Amit
May 7th, 2014, 02:27 PM
With time, Korn and other great minds would probably be able to do it. But is time something they have? I suppose that nothing is stopping it from being achieved even after the GS master server goes down on the 31st, but it would be better if this kind of thing could be built and running before the shut down so that gaming journalists have time to find it and report on it while the issue is still hot.

Cortexian
May 7th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I know the master-server list emulation code already exists out there. I think it was Patrickssj6 or one of the other fairly well know programmers in the CE community that made it, but they even had a video demonstrating it working using a modified client.

Integrating Open Sauce and the Open Sauce dedicated server (which I thought was already SAPP compatible but I could be wrong) shouldn't be that hard so everyone can enjoy the awesome stuff like map-downloading and multi-team vehicles.

=sw=warlord
May 8th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I wonder how difficult it would be to integrate VOIP as well for that little bit extra.

Cortexian
May 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Pretty difficult I think.

You'd want to implement some kind of existing system instead of doing something completely custom. TeamSpeak 3 a fairly rich SDK now:
http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3sdk

Would be cool to have, but I think someone would need to setup a TeamSpeak 3 "master server" for this as well. All players utilizing VOIP would be connected to this master server so it would have to be professionally hosted (aka it would cost money).

Maybe that's something they could look into later if they release a client that can push out updates like I mentioned.

Amit
May 8th, 2014, 02:17 PM
To be honest, it's better to focus on the real issue before adding luxuries.

RadWolfie
May 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Pretty difficult I think.

You'd want to implement some kind of existing system instead of doing something completely custom. TeamSpeak 3 a fairly rich SDK now:
http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3sdk

Would be cool to have, but I think someone would need to setup a TeamSpeak 3 "master server" for this as well. All players utilizing VOIP would be connected to this master server so it would have to be professionally hosted (aka it would cost money).

Maybe that's something they could look into later if they release a client that can push out updates like I mentioned.

Warlord, I agree with Cortexian's quote above. It's better to have existing system instead of start from scratch unless TS3 required you to install it in order for it works. It's not likely to have halo and TS3 on same server from the hosting company to provide the VOIP support. Unless may will need client/server communication for informing the client's TS3 to connect specific room and/or server to have a same chat room?

To be honest, it's better to focus on the real issue before adding luxuries.

I agree with this. At least take one at a time instead of many things at once. That would cause a lot of chaos.

P.S. I don't have the plan or time to redirect the gamespy's queries inside Halo to community-made server handles all the work before the end of May. I'm still in middle of major changes for the H-Ext, relative to load system...

WaeV
May 11th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Good news! Bungie appears to be making Halo 1.10, which moves the master server to a Bungie-owned location. Good ol' Bungie.

http://halo-fixes.findforum.net/t4-some-details-about-the-internet-lobby-fix

This update is a maintenance release, just to keep Halo working. There are no plans to ever add new features (that will be left to the modders).

However, Roger did throw in a few nice fixes:
- permit resolutions up 4800x3600
- enable active camo on Nvidia (it will render like other cards now instead of just alpha blending)
- fixed video memory value to support 2GB cards
- fixed handling of periods in map names
- network access is enabled in devmode
- sv_ban_penalty in init.txt works to set new values
- models node limit raised to 63
- ignores checksum of strings.dll
- various overflow, validation and other code fixes

arbiter901
May 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM
:iamafag:

InnerGoat
May 11th, 2014, 05:39 PM
enable active camo on Nvidia (it will render like other cards now instead of just alpha blending)

cool after 40 years looll

t3h m00kz
May 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Good news! Bungie appears to be making Halo 1.10, which moves the master server to a Bungie-owned location. Good ol' Bungie.

http://halo-fixes.findforum.net/t4-some-details-about-the-internet-lobby-fix

Halo-fixes?

How reliable is this source?

arbiter901
May 11th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Halo-fixes?

How reliable is this source?The download is hosted at bungie?

Patrickssj6
May 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Oh wow lol

t3h m00kz
May 11th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I mean don't get me wrong this is fantastic news. I'm just surprised the announcement was in such a dark corner of the internet and not somewhere more... official.

arbiter901
May 11th, 2014, 07:44 PM
It's not the official/final release, so that may be the reason.

stunt_man
May 11th, 2014, 07:49 PM
And there were those that said this day would never come

Tnnaas
May 11th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Game of the decade, 2003-2013.

http://puu.sh/8ITFd.jpg
Had to disable all open sauce effects because I was just getting 25 frames at 4k.

WaeV
May 11th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I mean don't get me wrong this is fantastic news. I'm just surprised the announcement was in such a dark corner of the internet and not somewhere more... official.

It's not the official/final release, so that may be the reason.

Yeah, the website appears to be new. This thread (http://halo-fixes.findforum.net/t3-internet-lobby-will-get-fixed) details the list of people involved in it; apparently Roger Wolfson (Sawnose) of Bungie is the one actually pushing the update. That the download is on Bungie's servers lends some weight to the idea of a new release.

FWIW, that download does actually work -- it connects to a master server list which isn't GameSpy's. So even if this isn't an official release it's still good news.

Cortexian
May 11th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Would be nice if they can include some of the aforementioned additional features in patches like this. Although if Sawnose is involved and willing to push updates, we could get these in the future.

Kornman00
May 12th, 2014, 01:25 AM
This is legit. I've been helping Roger and another person in the community (I'll let them speak up when they want) with the bug fixes and the MS replacement for the past month or so.

I'm glad I'll get to remove some bug fix code for the game from OS when I find the time to update it to 1.10 :p. One less thing to maintain on our end...

There were a few bugs that couldn't be reasonably fixed in this update though. 1) the slow memory leaks which sehe came across a few months back...not trivial to address). 2) the game not validating HS threads aren't overflowing their stacks (which it does in debug builds) which causes an obscure crash. This only ever happens in user created maps with crazy and deeply nested scripts, especially like the ones that are currently being developed in parts of CMT.

arbiter901
May 12th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Do you happen to know if there are any engine limits that can be increased by just upping the values? Or would that create all sorts of unstable bullshit?

Kornman00
May 12th, 2014, 02:12 AM
OS already increases the limits of various things (rendered particles, objects, max map size, etc). It's HIGHLY unlikely such increases will ever be made in an official patch.

arbiter901
May 12th, 2014, 02:27 AM
I meant something that would require tons of reverse engineering that wouldn't be worth anyone's time (e.g., max player count) but be as simple as increasing some numbers within the game's source code. I just pulled that example out of my ass, so sorry if I'm sounding stupid. But yeah, I understand. Those are just pipe dreams of mine.

Kornman00
May 12th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Yeah, we won't ever be seeing a max player increase in an official patch. There are legitimate reasons, but one I can easily point out is that for engine to properly support the additional players, the scoring code (especially the code related to printing who's in what place) would need to be updated (it's not entirely data/tag-driven as I recall). Also IIRC, the network messages related to game engine (Slayer, CTF) scores would be increased in size. So if you doubled the max players to 32, the network message for a score update would almost be double since it doesn't exclude the score bits of nonexistent players (again, IIRC)

I thought about doing a kickstarter for such a project as increasing max players, but after doing the engine analysis, it just wouldn't have been worth the time to hack more in. There are so many other cool things that can be done to the engine with much less effort or boring hacks (90% of the changes would have been very boring, non-trivial assembly hacks)

arbiter901
May 12th, 2014, 03:18 AM
If you ever plan on doing a kickstarter to add features I'd gladly support it. You have my word.

I haven't gotten around to using OS in quite some time so I don't know what features have been added.

Cortexian
May 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Kornman will my dream of a client that works with map downloading and MTV ever become a reality?

Map downloading is probably the single biggest missing feature from Halo CE that made it way less popular than it should be.

RadWolfie
May 12th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Awesome! One less thing for all of us need to be concerned about the lobby list and not need to worry about pirate users gain access to servers with key validation become no good.

This update is a maintenance release, just to keep Halo working. There are no plans to ever add new features (that will be left to the modders).

This is what I'm hoping for... It will be a big headache for us, modders, to create a different workaround or might break the existing hooks inside halo.

For those H-Ext users... the test build, both client & dedicated server, does crash due to winmm.dll could not find the matched sig in v1.0.10 build, rename the winmm.dll to winmm_.dll or something you can remember in order to allow Halo to run properly with H-Ext's loader disabled. I will post more info about this progress on H-Ext's thread.

arbiter901
May 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Kornman will my dream of a client that works with map downloading and MTV ever become a reality?

Map downloading is probably the single biggest missing feature from Halo CE that made it way less popular than it should be.Yeah, I wish there was a way to patch eveyones client with big features like map downloading.

Last time I used map downloading I kinda like how HAC handled it better client side like if it was a built a in feature to the stock game. Is it still the same or is still different? Or is it being kept different out of respect for the developer that developed the OS version and the HAC versions Dev?

Example of HAC version

Kornman00
May 12th, 2014, 01:10 PM
We try not to hook the engine more than we need as it just complicates code maintenance and engine/OS states. Hooking that bit of the loading screen text would have limited us to one line too. Not sure how well that scales to maps that use the full 31 characters in their allowed name...

Map downloading is probably the single biggest missing feature from Halo CE that made it way less popular than it should be.
OS has had map downloading support for a while now, so...

Amit
May 12th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Was nobody informed? I recall a good while back that there was a test for it that was reported to be a bit...odd, but successful?

t3h m00kz
May 12th, 2014, 02:54 PM
yeah. OS map downloading works freaking great man. there's some cases where it can't find the map in question as it seems to search for it on various sites but when it works, it works crazy well.

Limited
May 12th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Great now my aimbot won't work, blast my MLG plan is out the window.

That said, great news this is being patched as well as community coming together to actually improve the game (albeit one step at a time).

n00b1n8R
May 12th, 2014, 06:42 PM
No chance of SAPP style no-lead being added in any official patch? :saddowns:

Cortexian
May 12th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I mean for everyone.

I'm guessing not since there's going to be an official update to keep the master servers working... But it's to bad we can't have one unified OS / HAC2 / SAPP client and server that all work gloriously together for great justice.

No one wants to download extra crap to make stuff work.

Bodzilla
May 12th, 2014, 08:46 PM
This is legit. I've been helping Roger and another person in the community (I'll let them speak up when they want) with the bug fixes and the MS replacement for the past month or so.

I'm glad I'll get to remove some bug fix code for the game from OS when I find the time to update it to 1.10 :p. One less thing to maintain on our end...

There were a few bugs that couldn't be reasonably fixed in this update though. 1) the slow memory leaks which sehe came across a few months back...not trivial to address). 2) the game not validating HS threads aren't overflowing their stacks (which it does in debug builds) which causes an obscure crash. This only ever happens in user created maps with crazy and deeply nested scripts, especially like the ones that are currently being developed in parts of CMT.
Saw your name in the PCgamer press release.

KM00, literally the savior of halo.

Thanks alot bro!

Kornman00
May 13th, 2014, 02:10 AM
I can't really take the credit for the saving part, at least not all of it :p. Btc22 was the one who primarily worked on the MS replacement code, I just helped with detailing some of the GS protocols and code review.

Amit
May 13th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Maybe Secret Sauce is the contingency plan!

Save us Kornmagicman!

We are saved! Don't even try.

nuttyyayap
May 13th, 2014, 06:39 AM
rip halo

arbiter901
May 13th, 2014, 11:54 AM
So nothing can really be sneaked in just enough to make it easier for the community to develop?

Rentafence
May 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Yay we did it guys Halo is saved.

InnerGoat
May 13th, 2014, 03:16 PM
unban rec0

Lightning
May 14th, 2014, 10:54 PM
unban rec0

WaeV
May 15th, 2014, 02:39 PM
And there were those that said this day would never come

Game of the decade, 2003-2013.

rip halo

ITT: People who don't realize Halo is saved.

Cortexian
May 15th, 2014, 02:55 PM
or dont care

this is modashityyu after all

Zeph
May 15th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Well, now that the game is dead, I guess I should close all these Halo related forums.

Rentafence
May 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM
:gnu:

ultama121
May 15th, 2014, 07:36 PM
wow now that we don't have halo it looks like all we have is runescape now

zeph open up a runescape sub forum

~~~**SELLING FULL RUNE 150K**~~~

Rentafence