PDA

View Full Version : Project M: (Super Smash Bros Brawl Mod to make it into a good game.)

Llama Juice
April 11th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Sup dudes. Hey there! I joined this mod team over a year ago and we've been working on this mod for Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii. It basically takes Brawl and then rebalances the entire thing to be a lot more competitively focused, drawing from Melee as the main design inspiration for the balance.

There are tournaments all over the country for this game, with people flying all over the place to compete. Our previous release of version 3.02 got roughly 875,000 downloads from our website, and the "new" version (3.5) released in September is sitting at 421,000 downloads currently.

We recently announced version 3.6, which will address a few small balance issues and add some new content to the game.

Here's a trailer for it.

rcJHZCuaG84

I'm an environment artist for the team. In the trailer there you can see the environments that I contributed to the game. I made the Metal Cavern HD stage, the Bowser's Castle stage, and the Peach's Castle HD stage along with some other things here and there.

If you enjoy smash bros and have access to a Wii, a copy of Brawl, and a 2 GB SD card you can download and play this. Or you can pirate shit and just hack your Wii (it's stupid easy. All you need is an SD card and the internet.)

I dunno, I figured I should share this with my modacity bros. I lived here for so long that it seems odd to not check in after a while.

Hope ya'll are doing well.

STLRamsFan
April 13th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Great stuff man! Really enjoy the work done with this mod, just makes things that more fun when it comes to smash. Here's a suggestion for you guys though: Master Chief skin on Snake. Make it happen!

n00b1n8R
April 14th, 2015, 05:48 AM
please buff marth I don't want to have to get good

(I love PM it's the most popular smash in my neck of the woods and we have 40man tournaments every month)

Ryx
June 14th, 2015, 06:46 PM
A friend showed me his "brawl with the pokemon all seperate" and I ended up playing this, it was fun as fuck!

I still like my pokemon to switch out though

n00b1n8R
June 25th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Yo Llama what does the text say in the top right of Bowser's Castle

Llama Juice
July 29th, 2015, 05:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yvk9von.png

Here's a timelapse of that stage being created btw. :P

http://gfycat.com/BeautifulMiniatureHamster

Here's a timelapse of Peach's Castle being constructed as well if you're into that sort of thing.

http://gfycat.com/UnimportantGrippingHippopotamus

thehoodedsmack
August 30th, 2015, 09:42 PM
My friends love this mod. Keep up the great work.

n00b1n8R
December 2nd, 2015, 05:35 AM
;_;

Llama Juice
December 3rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
You have no idea.

The news broke internally while I was helping set up a 80 man 3 day tournament for the game. I was surrounded by all these people who had traveled so far to come and play and compete all weekend. Eventually I got knocked out of bracket and my buddy came up and said "Don't worry man, there'll always be more tournaments."

I had to walk away so they wouldn't see me cry.

It's been an insanely hard week for everyone on the dev team, but the outpouring praise and support from the community (hidden among all the bullshit) has helped a ton. Even just typing this has me welling up a bit.

I went back and watched a few live reaction trailers to our mod. Stuff like this. When Bowser's Castle gets revealed... the dude loses his shit and that's one of the coolest things in the world as a content creator to see. Being able to see people this passionate about what you do is incredibly fulfilling... and to lose that is crushing.
jchgQkIWoRg

All of that being said, I do feel like the community will actually grow from this. With the meta being able to stabilize and develop will help bring some Melee players back over. Plus, we had some insane exposure the other day, with our news hitting #1 and #6 on /r/all on reddit. We've seen a decent growth of new people asking how to pick up the game and stuff... so I don't see this as an end to the game, as much as a new beginning. The mod community is going to go nuts with mods like PM Legacy and such, and so it'll be interesting to see how this all blows over.
EYtQIJAbq1I

To the few of you here who played and enjoyed the game while we were in development, I can't thank you enough for your support. This whole experience has been absolutely wonderful, and I'm so glad that I got to be a part of this wonderful team.

http://i.imgur.com/sMJkFDA.jpg

n00b1n8R
December 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM
I can see the argument for a 3.65 patch but I really don't see the value in adding anything after that. The new characters are sooo far below the standard of the current cast that adding them would be an insult to the insane quality standards held by the PMDT (besides Delfino Secret, holey shit that stage was ugly).

I wish we got a Bowsers Castle Tournament Edition though. It's so pretty, I wish I could actually stand to play on it :v

Llama Juice
December 9th, 2015, 12:52 AM
There is a competitive Bowser's Castle stage in 3.6 Hold L when selecting Bowser's Castle and you'll get a thwompless one with some platforms on there. :P

http://i.imgur.com/l4KXegl.png

n00b1n8R
December 10th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Oh sweet!

Dwood
December 15th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Is gamestop still doing the 50 dollars for a classic wii thing? I'm thinking of picking up a wii just to play this with friends.

Or alternatively getting a gamecube controller to PC usb adapter so we can play like that.

Spartan314
December 17th, 2015, 01:28 AM
My CD is rekd making so that I can play with only half the stages with half the characters. Game crashes otherwise. :(
I'd probably sell a kidney to get my Wii to make this mod work.

Llama Juice
December 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Look up how to USB Bootload your Wii. It's amazing. Search for "Pimp My Wii" and you'll find some good tutorials about it.

If you have any interest in playing old Wii games, USB loading a Wii is super easy and all you need is a 2 GB SD card and a bit of your time. You'll also need a flash drive/external HDD to hold all your games though of course.

STLRamsFan
December 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
^What he said.

That's how I got Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword before it even came out in the US.... Thank you Sweden, or well, until the fun factor wore out thanks to Fi, the motion controls, and those freaking mandatory not fun fetch quests. Ugh.

Spartan314
February 6th, 2016, 01:54 AM
Just had to come back to show appreciation for this.
Found a mirror for 3.6 and finally managed to get everything working today.
The re-balancing totally threw me off (Marth nerf makes me reconsider my main haha)
Totally love it though. Breathes new life into the Wii it does.

Dwood
February 22nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
https://projectmgame.com/

All right guys. You're getting sued. Anything else you want to say about it? Llama? Anyone?

Dwood
February 28th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Guess I'm late to the party. Like, really late. Every time I read about esports/video game law, people seem to mention Project M, so I was googling around, and for those not following, the following post explains what's going on:

https://www.facebook.com/Mewtwo2000/posts/730122597087508

Sorry Llama! I hope to hear about your future endeavors, however!

Llama Juice
March 8th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Yea, we had some very real threats of legal action and decided that it was in all our best interests to close up shop. I posted something about that on the previous page. It was absolutely crushing for me, and even though I always feel like I'm over it.. writing even this gets me choked up.

That's about all I can really say, and I don't really want to get deep into that discussion again because I just don't want to do that to myself.

We can all still play the game and enjoy the years that we put into it though, and that's what matters. I've been helping grow the tournament scene in my area and it's been kinda neat to spend my time playing this game, rather than making it. That's all I can really emotionally handle to say right now though. I thought I was done crying over this, but apparently not.