PDA

View Full Version : (WIP)Damnation

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, some of you might not like porting, but it's really my first real project in H2V. Also, I need to get used to the new shader system. Now I am bringing back one of the greatest maps in CE! DAMNATION! So yeah, in-game pics:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9682/dm1na8.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4554/dm2he2.jpg
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7042/dm3ci1.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/87/dm4bg5.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8796/dm5tv1.jpg

Btw, those weird cone things are the cone lights used in the map.

InnerGoat
May 30th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Lol, it looks like a totaly different map without the original textures. Damnation is a great map to get poor fps on too, so hopefully yours fairs better. ;)

:D

phase
May 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Needs less riping and more recreating

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I'm using the original textures, I think it's just the lighting, unmade shaders, and lack of correct cubemaps that make it look different.

If by recreating, you just mean the entire bsp, I want the original, I don't care who does/doesn't download it. If you mean adding things in and redoing textures like bungie did for tombstone, then I could do that.

Either way, after this, I am starting on the custom maps =p.

SuperSunny
May 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM
If you want a good reflective surface, tex_bump_env. Medium amount of reflection (select an env map aka cubemap, and then the amount of 0.7 and 0.5), and add the bump-map. Medium (not draft) lightmap it. Or low, but don't do draft if you want to really show your bumps and reflections well.

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Alright, thanks. I lit it on draft high. At least this map doesn't take that long to light, draft high took about 15 minutes. Thanks for the tip on medium(reflection), I had it set to 0.35 and 0.45.

phase
May 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM
If you mean adding things in and redoing textures like bungie did for tombstone, then I could do that.
Yes take the orignal bsp and redo the theme like in tombstone.

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Since I don't like polls, I will make the original and then make a redone version, I guess.

__Blaz0__
May 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Needs less riping and more recreating

Yes, it is ripe like fruit.

Snowy
May 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
ugh, Halo 1 maps :/

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Halo 1 maps are quite good, actually... just under appreciated. I had some massive fun and lag parties on that map. Anyhow, with better lighting, this level looks soo much better than in those pictures.

Arteen
May 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Does the map need to be rescaled because of the increased jump height in Halo 2?

Roostervier
May 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
No, not as far as I've seen. Some things have changed, but you can't escape the level (at least I couldn't, I will be testing more).

SMASH
May 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
ugh, Halo 1 maps :/

Actually, redoing H1 maps are a good way to really learn the H2EK and it's limits and features. I'd advise anyone trying to learn to do this instead of making their own (but don't release unless it's uber good).

Bossniak
May 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Woot a map from halo 1 thats not bloodgulch. :D

MasterChief2829
May 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Good textures should be worked on and is that Silenced SMG in the game? I thought there were no custom weapons anymore? :XD:

halofreak4567
May 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Good textures should be worked on and is that Silenced SMG in the game? I thought there were no custom weapons anymore? :XD:

Silenced SMG came with the tags.

stunt_man
May 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Nice work, just please don't release it with the silenced SMG. I have a feeling that's going to get overused.

TPE
May 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
follow the H1 to H2 map theme and make it run down and stuff

make it look like the flood took it over

Xegrot
May 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Nice work, just please don't release it with the silenced SMG. I have a feeling that's going to get overused.

I doubt it. All silenced weapons still have a sound, regardless if there is a silencer. It probably isn't going to change gameplay. It's probably just an SMG variant with a quieter sound.

Nick
May 30th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Wow, if the screens didn't contain first person models, I would seriously think that you had stolen a 2 year old build of Prometheus. The state that map is in is almost identical to how maps were rendering back then; hilarious.

I love Damnation, but it's sad to see all of these "ports" to Halo 2 Vista. You should take a page from Bungie's book and re-imagine some of these levels to have more of a Halo 2 feel.

Nick

__Blaz0__
May 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
^he's right about the second part.

Stealth
May 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I love Damnation, but it's sad to see all of these "ports" to Halo 2 Vista. You should take a page from Bungie's book and re-imagine some of these levels to have more of a Halo 2 feel.

Nick
Get the book called, "The Art of Halo: Creating a Virtual World" and take a look at pages 62 - 63 and 142 - 143 are good please to get some map ideas. the top sketch of the CR on 76 is a cool looking one. as well as some of the concepts for SC on page 79. there are a few things in that book at you might of seen in CMT's SPv1, and one of the custom weapons in H2V. and some of them look like some of the new Halo 3 stuff.;)
any ways, nice map so far, needs some new skins, and don't port Geo, leave that one for me please, that is my fav map in Halo.

Terin
May 31st, 2007, 09:42 AM
i cen lern mah alfabetz wit diz map!

Damnation probably would be a lot different without fall damage, but it might be fun jumping from the top level to the bottom to assassinate someone. We'll see when it's released.

Roostervier
May 31st, 2007, 11:18 AM
<3 damnation :D

what exactly are these letter texture things i'm seeing in H2?
Those are for the shaders I've yet to make(defaulted for missing shaders in halo 2). I've made them by now, however. I only have a few left.

MasterChief2829
May 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, if the screens didn't contain first person models, I would seriously think that you had stolen a 2 year old build of Prometheus. The state that map is in is almost identical to how maps were rendering back then; hilarious.

Nick
How long have you guys been working on Prometheus now? 3 years about?

Anyways I'd like some re-mastered ports as well.

Nick
May 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hmm, yeah, something like that. Man I love looking back at what it was and what it is now.

Nick

Stealth
May 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM
hey nick, will there be Halo 2 Vista support in Prometheus?

Nick
May 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Yes, of course.

Nick

Stealth
May 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
thanks Nick, that'll be a good thing to know. ^_^
now, may I ask if we can get back ontopic some what, maybe more screen shots maybe?

Pred1ator
May 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM
did u fix the bitmaps by any chance?

Roostervier
June 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
I've started to, I need to upload a video I made to youtube. The video is now 2 days old, but is still similar to what I've got now.

[edit] The link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiZWEDH0_U

Chromide
June 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Looks amazing so for CANT WAIT till I get a chance to play it :D. Add some fog into the map it it will look fucking amazing :D.

Flyboy
June 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Nice job with it. You have the shape of the map down perfect. Might I suggest customizing it a little in terms of graphics. I imagined an H2 damnation to look like it had a little bit of midship in it. Try that, I bet it would come out sick.

Keep up the good work.

Ki11a_FTW
June 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I like it

you have a good taste in music, i have that same song :-)

Roostervier
June 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I like all kinds of music, =D. Anyway, I imagined it as midship too... it's a shame I don't have any of it's shaders to view, nor do I have the h2x midship (I have the game but I also have xbl and only one xbox) that I can use for bitmaps.

Ki11a_FTW
June 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Contact me i have all the things from midship you need

MSN: Dead_ID_90@hotmail.com

AIM: XX Dead Killa XX

Xfire: deadkilla128

Nobody else contact me please, you will just get denied (to many ppl as it is)