PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Run Dedicated Server and Play H2V from the SAME computer

Melterx12
June 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I finally figured out how to do it. I havent been able to play on my server because my router prevents me from hosting games, but I HAVE ran the Dedicated server console WHILE Playing H2V on the same comp. Its kinda annoying to do this, but you CAN admin the server while playing!
[Prerequisite: When installing the Dedicated server, go to more options, and make sure that the checkbox 'Install For all users' is checked. For me it was checked by default.]

First off, go to control panel, and go to User Accounts. Go to Manage other Accounts, and Create a New User account with ADMINISTRATOR Abilities. Name it anything you want.

Next, go to that user's account, and set up the server how you normally would. Once everything is set up and online, go to Start Menu and click 'SWITCH USERS' (NOT Log-off!).

Finally, go back to your main account and Play H2V. It should start. You can minimize the game and switch users to the other account to admin the server, if you want.

The game will start, if done this way. If there are other limitations than this, sorry as I could not fully test this method.

Stealth
June 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
0.o
now if some one can test this out, some more. that'd be cool, but maybe in a month or two I'll have me a new laptop I can do it from there. ^_^

computerman45
June 9th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I tried to do this, however I was unsuccesful. I think it recognizes two logins and disconnects the first.

When I checked the dedicated server it told me to make sure no other LIVE or auto signon was in use.

dcemuser
June 12th, 2007, 02:36 AM
You can't play H2V and host a dedicated server at the same time without having TWO Live accounts... which kind of defeats the purpose. I guess it is time to put those massive amounts of Xbox Live Free Trial cards to use.

p0lar_bear
June 12th, 2007, 02:55 AM
You can't play H2V and host a dedicated server at the same time without having TWO Live accounts... which kind of defeats the purpose. I guess it is time to put those massive amounts of Xbox Live Free Trial cards to use.

Silver accounts are free, and usable by the dedicated server.

Vicky
June 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah just make a different live account for the server, maybe that works :)

Syuusuke
June 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
How about a Guide on how to set up a dedicated Server, the Readme is =(

Each time I sign in with a Live account it either keeps trying to reconnect (with autosignin) or just fails to sign in (manual sign in) =(

Vicky
June 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Forward port udp 3074 to your server.

Syuusuke
June 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
K, I had to UPDATE for it to work...

but it seems that I cannot join it because I can't join the party. "Please try again later."

Hmm...

donteatthefish
June 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
K, I had to UPDATE for it to work...

but it seems that I cannot join it because I can't join the party. "Please try again later."

Hmm...

same problem...

Skyline
June 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Might be because it's running off the same port.

Btw, It's a MAP editor not a modeling editor/program @ sig.

donteatthefish
June 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Might be because it's running off the same port.

Btw, It's a MAP editor not a modeling editor/program @ sig.

yeah could be same port... how do you switch ports? on either? other people can join, i cant...

and yeah i kinda don't agree with my sig anymore, but i was pissed that i had to get a $3000+ program

Skyline
June 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
YA it's quite expensive. You can't change the port I dont think sadly.