PDA

View Full Version : Quick texturing question, about bump/detail/base maps & uvw mapping

calky360
July 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
What is the difference between base map and detail map, I'm thinking that the detail map adds another layer to the base map but I am not sure, and with bump maps how do I change it so they make more of an ident, should i change the x and y values and what to. And lastly how do you guys uvw map, because it seems like my mapping doesn't really transfer into the game.

P13F4C3
July 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
What is the difference between base map and detail map,
base map is the actual texture you applied in max etc, A detail map is a texture that defines the noise of a surface,

bump maps how do I change it so they make more of an identopen the bump bitmap scroll down and you will see bump height, change that

And lastly how do you guys uvw map, because it seems like my mapping doesn't really transfer into the game.
what do you mean by this? do you mean your textures dont go ingame and its using the invalid shader so it looks like alphabet rainbow?

Skyline
July 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
The detail maps and bump maps are scaled in geurilla if thats what you mean.

calky360
July 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Ok thanks I found how to change the bump height, but still don't know how to change like the size and positioning of the bump/detail maps, in 3ds max you can just do modify uvw map, but what can i do in gorilla, and if anyone could explain a couple of the different ajustable settings for bitmap files in geurilla that be great thanks.

Skyline
July 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
There should be something called bump_scale_x and bump_scale_y, just change those until you get something you want.

calky360
July 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It seems like half of the bitmaps are locked i can open them but i can't edit them? Also anyone got a good bump map, or can tell a good bump map for cliffs like in coagulation and burial mounds.

et_cg
July 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Your best bet is to create your own.

P13F4C3
July 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
it seems like half of the bitmaps are locked i can open them but i can't edit them? Also anyone got a good bump map, or can tell a good bump map for cliffs like in coagulation and burial mounds.

You could use firescythes bitmap extractor, extract the bitmap, recompile with a different name, then you can edit it and do what ever you want to it

calky360
July 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I ll have to do that I don't why they would lock some of them, they could of made it so you cant save over the top of it or something instead.

Lightning
July 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Easier:

Open your Halo 2 map editor folder, right click the "Tags" folder, check "Read only, then uncheck it. Hit okay.

You can then modify any of the existing tags.

calky360
July 10th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks lightning i ll try that now.

Edit: unchecking read only worked great:)