PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Infinitely Boots?

Roostervier
August 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, got my replacement mobo and CPU in. It finally starts, but when it gets past the Vista loading bar, the screen flashes blue (it may actually be BSODing) and then it restarts the whole process again. I tried setting up the BIOS as well as I can, but I don't know if it's out of date. And if it is, I don't know how to get the info off of a CD without booting the entire computer up.

legionaire45
August 16th, 2007, 10:22 PM
What are your computer's specs again?

Roostervier
August 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
ASUS P5N - E SLI Mother board, 2 GB RAM, 2.33GHz Conroe Core 2 Duo Processor, eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS, 500 Watt PSU, Primary 145 GB HDD, Secondary 320 GB HDD.

I've tried many things. I've tried downloading the new drivers and placing them onto a disc and trying this ASUS EZ crap, but to no avail. It worked with the CD that came with the board, but not the one I made.

mR_r0b0to
August 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Reseat everything, processor, ram, etc..

It also might be a ram problem, check each module..

TPE
August 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Spam F8 at the start, and try to boot in safemode.

If it does boot right click computer hit propertys, go to the advanced tab, go down to start up and recovery, hit settings, go down to system failure, and unselect automatically restart.

Boot normally and if it still just flashes blue and shuts off, then we know its not a BSOD

rossmum
August 17th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Mine did that. Reinstall Windows.

legionaire45
August 17th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Mine did that. Reinstall Windows.
^^
If that doesn't work (or if you have a OEM copy of Vista) then try pulling each stick of ram out and testing it on it's own. If it boots on one stick but doesn't boot on another then you know your suspect.

If it still does that for both sticks, see if you can get your hands on another PSU to test. I have a feeling its a bad PSU.

KIWIDOGGIE
August 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
actually yes you MUST reinstall vista because NT and above if you change the processor than it will not boot. (lost 4 pc's due to that) windows 98 would adapt more and install everything to boot correctly and function.(another thing ms messed up) If you need some software for recovering your files on a crashed os i got ya.

rossmum
August 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Reinstalling should have no effect on files, mine even kept most of the old settings. Just had to C&P across from the account folder which it wouldn't recognise into the new one. Even most of my programs still work OK.

Patrickssj6
August 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
actually yes you MUST reinstall vista because NT and above if you change the processor than it will not boot. (lost 4 pc's due to that) windows 98 would adapt more and install everything to boot correctly and function.(another thing ms messed up) If you need some software for recovering your files on a crashed os i got ya.
actually not the CPU but mobo...and yes I had the same prob at first.

Reinstall Vista.

legionaire45
August 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Umm...what the hell are you talking about? I've gone from an AMD 64 to a Celeron D on the same install of XP absolutely fine. Hell, I basically replaced my entire system but kept the same OS install. It didn't run particularly fast, but it ran.

Patrickssj6
August 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Umm...what the hell are you talking about? I've gone from an AMD 64 to a Celeron D on the same install of XP absolutely fine. Hell, I basically replaced my entire system but kept the same OS install. It didn't run particularly fast, but it ran.
Doesn't always work.

Didn't work for me for instance. :)

KIWIDOGGIE
August 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM
yea you got lucky for once, most pc's wont work like that unless they are similar, what happend to you is rare(not extremely rare but rare). and when you reinstall your wipeing your harddrive so how again is it saving your files and settings? unless you dident install anything

Roostervier
August 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was at a football game last night and I had to leave right after school, so I couldn't answer. Anyway, how do I install without booting? I've asked et_cg (thanks btw) for help, and he told me to get linux and wine, and then reinstall it that way. Any other suggestions?

KIWIDOGGIE
August 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
get linux? ok if you want linux but if you want vista just use "Winternalls" and get your stuff off then reformat.

kenney001
August 19th, 2007, 03:31 AM
It doesnt have to boot if you stick in your OS disk.......You Have one dont you?

If not use another computer and (aquire) the os installation disk, and just use your serial number.

Tell me what the hell running linux and wine would do to reinstall an os?

Roostervier
August 19th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know. Atm, I have tried setting the boot priority to the disk, and that gets it to mostly install, but then it gets stuck on completing installation. It stays in the same spot for 6 hours, so I am guessing it isn't working. Right now I am on linux typing this, so at least I can do something, but I'd like to get Vista to work, and it isn't right now.

KIWIDOGGIE
August 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
try getting something that can read the NTFS on vista and mess around with the bootloader or get your files off and reinstall

Bad Waffle
August 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
try unplugging all USB devices.

Roostervier
August 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'm going to try installing XP and then doing a clean install when I already have things set up.