PDA

View Full Version : The Toyota Avalon - a lot of car for the money

Mr Buckshot
August 21st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Price range: $37000-$50000 (Canadian), probably $26000-$40000 in US dollars (not a conversion, cars are always more expensive here)

Category: Full-size sedan. It's the longest and most luxurious Toyota sedan that does not carry the Lexus brand. As a family sedan, don't expect a special engine

Who should buy this car: An average consumer who wishes he can drive one of those big full-size luxury sedans like the BMW 7-series or Lexus LS or Jaguar XJ, but doesn't want to splurge the cash, or a family man who needs a reasonably priced sedan to comfortably hold a family of 4 or 5.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaAvalon/ImagesXLS/RightFront.jpg

A few days ago my dad and I went to the Toyota/Lexus servicing center (my dad drives a Lexus LS 460 standard wheelbase) and test drove this car. I'm turning 16 in December and planning to learn to drive, but of course my dad will never ever let me behind the wheel of his Lexus, and my mom is too busy to let me use her Audi A6. Therefore, my dad is currently considering getting me this car (since we have memberships and stuff at the Toyota/Lexus servicing center, we get special offers). He will never buy another Lexus after we blew $120 000 Canadian on his car (starting price is $98700 but we ordered all the cool options), but a Toyota fits the bill.

The Toyota Avalon can be considered a "near-luxury" car. Options are leather seats, fake but convincing wood trim, DVD navigation system with Bluetooth and park assist, and reclining rear seats with heating. There are performance-enhancing options that I don't care about. With all the interior-enhancing options, the price comes to just under $50 000 Canadian. Rear-seat air conditioning is standard, thankfully.

So what did our similarly sized Lexus have? More comfortable leather, real wood trim, hard drive navigation system with Bluetooth, reclining rear seats, heated and cooled front/rear seats, rearview camera and park assist, robotic system that auto-parallel-parks the car independently, radar cruise control, lane departure warning, and a dashboard camera that monitors the driver's face and brakes the car if the driver slumps. With all those options, the Lexus came into the six-figure price range.

Both cars have a ton of interior leg room and huge trunks, plus big storage compartments in the cabin. While the Lexus does have Mark Levinson surround sound (I just know it's a premium brand), my ears cannot tell the difference.

Just for the performance whores, the Avalon features a 280-horsepower engine.

I'm seriously considering getting this car when I turn 16. It offers great value for the money, and has many features that are usually found in $60000+ cars. If I got this car, I would get the navigation system and leather seats, plus the park assist (when you are parking your car, it beeps if you come close to an object, and beeps even faster if you get closer). But if possible, I would try to get the car second-hand with at least the navigation system since I don't wish to blow too much of my parents' money.

Discuss! I highly recommend this car to any new buyers. Second-hand is recommended if you live in Canada.

sorry if I sound like a Toyota/Lexus fanboy. I've always found Japanese cars, both standard (i.e. Honda) and nice (Lexus) to be more reliable and stylish than American cars. My parents have rented Chevrolets and Fords when we go on vacation in other parts of North America, and they are so bleh compared to Hondas or Toyotas. I've also sat in a fully-equipped Cadillac DTS, far preferred the Lexus.

Dr Nick
August 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM
I wanna Supra!

rossmum
August 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM
Friend of mine has an Avalon. He always gets the piss taken out of him for having an 'old man's car' :p

Patrickssj6
August 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
I think it's quite expensive...I really like the Toyota Camry as an average car. :)

Limited
August 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Swish car no doubt, although I'm not loving that green too much :) For a first car though, I dont know, here in UK usually our first car is really rubbishy and no that great, just incase you have a mega crash as your still new to driving really, dont have much experience. So just the though of getting a car like that, is a bit worrying because have a bash in that would be expensive.

Wouldnt the insurance be really high for a car like that with such a new driver?

Warsaw
August 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hmmm...the car doesn't look like anything special, just another one of your typical shapes on the road. I won't deny the features though :iia:.

280 horses? Pfff, Dodge Ram 1500 has 350...:p.

Patrickssj6
August 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
I know I'm going to get -reps but

:lmao: I didn't even see PS...how exaggerating much...in Germany it would be barely legal but surely unpayable :lmao:

Snowy
August 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Consider getting a KIA Amonte (http://www.kia.com/amanti/amanti-photos.php), my dad had one when he worked for KIA. Of course, if my parents had enough dough to buy me a car, I'd just wait for the Dodge Challenger (http://www.dodge.com/en/challenger/index.html)

Dole
August 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
My parents have rented Chevrolets and Fords when we go on vacation in other parts of North America, and they are so bleh compared to Hondas or Toyotas.
NO, FORD TAURUS IS THE BEST AUTOMBILE EVER CONCEIVED! <:mad:>

Disclaimer: The Taurus' transmission may or may not fail on you within thirty minutes of turning the ignition.
Have a nice day. :)

Stormwing
August 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
What's with these car advertisement bots? :\

I'd take a Camry over this, if only for the exterior looks. This exterior looks very mediocre.

Warsaw
August 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm not making any comments on cars, since all we have is a van and a truck, but I will say that Dodge trucks are better than Toyota trucks, and I've ridden in both.

Also, short beds are fail.

Con
August 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
What's with these car advertisement bots? :\
because established members are advertising bots right?

Apoc4lypse
August 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
wait wait wait...

he said hes gonna BUY the car for you?

spoiled...

I wont go any further, I bought a used car.

EDIT:

Lmao.

JDMFSeanP
August 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
Buy an MKIV Supra.

Syuusuke
August 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
A lot of CAR for the MONEY?

That looks good, but the color is unique because of all of the other car's colors, they're not that green-color.

Mr Buckshot
August 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
eh yeah I'm getting this car (second hand, hopefully with navigation system). And yes I guess I have to depend on my parents for it but it's not like I have time to work when I'm in IB... I won't be getting it in 2007 obviously since this is Canada and I have to learn...probably will get it in early 2008.

hey it's not really being spoiled considering the car will be second hand. I guess you could say that we could afford to get me another Lexus, but as responsible Asian families we spend our money wisely. So while we (technically) can afford much better, I agree with my parents that the "better" is not entirely necessary. The only reason why my dad bought a fully-equipped Lexus LS was because he needs status and stuff in his business and a stately car will actually improve business deals since the client has a better impression of who you are (sadly it is true). Of course, the only way I will ever get behind the wheel of my dad's car is if I get my own job and save up $120 000...

yep, I am an advertising bot. Not just any bot, but one with real AI.

Buy an MKIV Supra.

nah sporty looking fast coupes and convertibles are not my thing. I prefer practical roomy four-door sedans that value comfort and safety over performance.

Stormwing
August 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
I mean, Teekup made two already....and here's another one. There's been a few threads detailing the qualities of individual cars. 'Bots' was just a jab at the creators of these advertisement-like, not really discussion-provoking posts.

I won't get into the 'spoiled' argument here, but to be honest I must side with Apoc.

About the car though...safety? Volvo much :)