PDA

View Full Version : For any WWII/rifle enthusiasts...

rossmum
August 21st, 2007, 06:53 AM
I've just discovered I live no more than 3 hours' drive away from a real FG42 Type II.

http://www.specops.com.pl/technika/bron_strzelecka/muzeum_broni_w_lithgow/DSC01302.jpg

For the uninformed: the FG42 was a rifle designed specifically for the German Fallschirmjaeger (paratroopers), the most elite in the world throughout WWII. However, like the StG44 assault rifle, it came too late to impact the war too much... the Type I had some teething troubles (though not many; the main problem was the time and money it required to build each rifle) and by the time the Type II emerged from the factories, the war was looking pretty bad for the Germans. All told, only about 6,000 FG42 rifles (all types) were ever produced, many being captured by the Russians or smuggled to Syria (seriously, the Iraqi insurgents are getting all the best of Germany's WWII arsenal; shame coalition soldiers aren't allowed to bring them home). The FG42 is pretty much the holy grail for anyone interested in German rifles or WWII rifles in general, and they are worth a lot.

Anyways, I plan to go see it up close. I can't wait.

Roostervier
August 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM
oh hai, :awesome:

I think that is a pretty nice find rossmum, have fun seeing it! I'd like to be there too though. D:

Warsaw
August 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Not much for me to comment on here, except its caliber, which you failed to mention(:p): 7.92x57mm Mauser; not exactly friendly in autmoatic fire with such a relatively small weapon.

As for the differences between a Type I and Type II, the primary items to note are:

The Type I had a steeply raked pistol grip.
The stock was made of plastics.
The Type II was also slightly longer.

Both versions were too light to be effectively used in automatic mode.

rossmum
August 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
The bipod was rather shitty, too. But the FG excelled in semi-auto, as it was light and packed more rounds than the standard-issue semi-auto rifle (the G41/43), with the added stability of the bipod, the muzzlebrake and in-line stock to dampen recoil, and the ability to mount a ZF4 or ZF41 scope. Plus, it looks like complete fucking win.

Warsaw
August 21st, 2007, 10:34 AM
I'd rather have an StG. 44, but that's just me. The FG-42 did have more range than its mid-powered cousin, I'll give it that.

rossmum
August 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'd like both :downs:

Warsaw
August 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Whatchu talkin' 'bout? AVT-40...:awesome:.