PDA

View Full Version : 1st post on new computer.

paladin
August 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Specs:

Raidmax case w/ 600wt silent psu (possible upgrade)
MSI 650i SLi motherboard
Intel Quad-core @ 2.4 GHz
2 Gigs of Corsair XMS RAM (more coming)
EVGA 8600GTS (temporary until 9 series)
LG DVD/CD-ROM combo burner
2x Western Digital 500 GB HDD
Vista Home Premium

Total cost: ~$850.00

I got most of the hardware yesterday from newegg and it installed flawlessly. I think this is the first time I haven't had any problems.

Hotrod
August 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Cool, that's not a bad price for that good of a computer. I wish mine was that good.

Gamerkd16
August 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
For me it's all about Hard Drive, because I like to make movies. And Fraps eats up your hard drive with its avi format pretty fast.

KIWIDOGGIE
August 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM
AMD all the way, but MSI makes good motherboards(beter than asus)

Xetsuei
August 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Intel is currently better, and there is no better overclocking motherboard than the striker extreme.

paladin
August 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
AMD all the way, but MSI makes good motherboards(beter than asus)

I said that until I realized how awesome my quad-core is.

Snowy
August 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Xetsuei™;147325']Intel is currently better, and there is no better overclocking motherboard than the striker extreme.

Meh, it's not great... A lot of the striker extreme's have been dying on people. I know, as my brother had a striker extreme, core 2 quad extreme edition, and two 8800 Ultras in SLI. He was fine for about a day (besides the constant crashes with SLI), then the motherboard just died...

mR_r0b0to
August 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
ah nice setup thar
mine was about the same price, but it was over eight months ago :)
at that time C2D 6600's were awesomest
and RAM was about twice as expensive

KIWIDOGGIE
August 26th, 2007, 07:01 AM
yea intel is better for performance atm. BUT AMD is making a come back and it will be faster and better. Also Intel's Stuff just Bombs out. BADLEY. My dad's pc he is giving me because it just sucks its not even as fast as my pc and its 2x faster and more powerful. Also the IDE0 controller is going out. ITS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. AMD's just take a hella lot more beating than Intel.(Running BF2 SBX Server on my amd Gets 1340 objects before crash, There intels 2x better than mines but an INTEL running that Quad Core BS only gets 910 objects)

Patrickssj6
August 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I said that until I realized how awesome my quad-core is.
I think I lol'd there for a sec.

Where did you notice the differences?

KIWIDOGGIE
August 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think I lol'd there for a sec.

Where did you notice the differences?

When he went from a 700MhZ AMD to a 3.8GHZ intel

Patrickssj6
August 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM
When he went from a 700MhZ AMD to a 3.8GHZ intel
Didn't know he had 700Mhz before...

because there won't be a big difference between a high-end dual core and a quad core for most users.

Limited
August 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Bloody hell, thats cheap as chips :O

Nice setup :D

Digikid
August 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Xetsuei™;147325']Intel is currently better, and there is no better overclocking motherboard than the striker extreme.

EVGA 680i is the better one.

That is a decent PC. Treat it well. :D

Xetsuei
August 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Wrong.

Digikid
August 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
umm....no. I have seen overclocks at Overclock.net and the EVGA forums that support my claim. I had a striker extreme and I sent it back because it was a piece of crap....usual Asus quality. I got a EVGA 680i and got HIGHER clocks then the SE. Others have found this as well.

Research is your best friend. Look at those forums and you will see that it is the truth.

Xetsuei
August 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM
So one guy can get an evga 680i faster than an asus one? Lol... And from what bad experience, you think asus sucks? Wow.

Digikid
August 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Yes...IF they get the right revision. The NF68-A1 is the latest revision. That is the one that I have.

Random
August 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yah I like my EVGA 680i, haven't gotten around to overclocking my cpu yet.

Digikid
August 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I hate to say this but MSI does not have a good record either. I wish that I knew that this guy was going to get a MSI board....I would have tried to talk him out of it....

mR_r0b0to
August 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
i like my asus 650i SLI, hasn't failed me yet..
except the first one was DOA

Mr Buckshot
August 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
yea intel is better for performance atm. BUT AMD is making a come back and it will be faster and better. Also Intel's Stuff just Bombs out. BADLEY. My dad's pc he is giving me because it just sucks its not even as fast as my pc and its 2x faster and more powerful. Also the IDE0 controller is going out. ITS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. AMD's just take a hella lot more beating than Intel.(Running BF2 SBX Server on my amd Gets 1340 objects before crash, There intels 2x better than mines but an INTEL running that Quad Core BS only gets 910 objects)

1. many games do not take advantage of quad core, hence slightly reduced performance, just like how some older games are not as good on SLI/Crossfire. Besides quad core won't benefit the typical gamer or home user - it is better for big businesses or for computers that are rendering your next CGI movie from Pixar (this is similar to how FireGL and Quadro video cards are better for design than for gaming although they can be capable).

2. maybe AMD's newer processors will own Intel, but focus on the present - Intel > AMD.

3. It was the old Pentium 4's and Pentium D's that bombed out more easily because they produced far more heat than their Athlon equivalents. Now THAT was when AMD > Intel.

pfft, ignore this guy, he thinks an AMD Athlon X2 processor is two physical CPUs, hence he calls dual core BS.

Xetsuei
August 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM
pfft, ignore this guy, he thinks an AMD Athlon X2 processor is two physical CPUs, hence he calls dual core BS.

lmao

paladin
August 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Ive had several Asus boards in the past and at least two had failed within 3 months. I got a MSI and it performed perfectly for one and half years. I looked at EVGA but I couldnt find the 650i sli. though now that I see that my graphics card has a shared 1278 mb of memory I might not need another.

bleach
August 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM
well, speaking of AMD, has anyone heard of the name "Barcelona"?

Mr Buckshot
August 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
No idea. When I bought my computer, Intel's C2D wasn't out yet and naturally I went for what was better at the time, so I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+. And thanks to a genius called Kiwidoggie, I have realized that my CPU is not dual core but really two physical CPUs!

great computer anyway, paladin.

ImSpartacus
August 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
1. many games do not take advantage of quad core, hence slightly reduced performance, just like how some older games are not as good on SLI/Crossfire. Besides quad core won't benefit the typical gamer or home user - it is better for big businesses or for computers that are rendering your next CGI movie from Pixar (this is similar to how FireGL and Quadro video cards are better for design than for gaming although they can be capable).

2. maybe AMD's newer processors will own Intel, but focus on the present - Intel > AMD.

3. It was the old Pentium 4's and Pentium D's that bombed out more easily because they produced far more heat than their Athlon equivalents. Now THAT was when AMD > Intel.

He's just a fanboy, give him a break. The AMD boys have had a tough time with intel buttfucking everything lately.

The netburst archetecture is the sole reason the P4's ran hot, Nothing else.

And, C2D pretty much buttfucks anything AMD can put out regardless if it is good or not. Intel is dropping prices like giant hammers, and the hammers hurt.

I will admit that AMD cpu's are pretty hardcore. I've seen a guy run a 3800 with the thin plastic covering still on the top of it. It was running at like 80c stock with a damn good hs on it. I was surprised the thing didnt fail after a few hours, but it was fine until he found out, and took it off (it hadn't melted)

Digikid
August 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
No idea. When I bought my computer, Intel's C2D wasn't out yet and naturally I went for what was better at the time, so I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+. And thanks to a genius called Kiwidoggie, I have realized that my CPU is not dual core but really two physical CPUs!

great computer anyway, paladin.

Which would make it DUAL CORE! :rolleyes:

You know what DUAL means right?

Xetsuei
August 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Which would make it DUAL CORE! :rolleyes:

You know what DUAL means right?

There is a difference between two physical CPU's and dual core. It's like Pentium D's cores are stacked on top of each other, but the Core 2 Duo's are on the same dye.

Mr Buckshot
August 29th, 2007, 06:22 AM
He's just a fanboy, give him a break

...I'm a Nvidia fanboy yet I don't make completely bullshitted remarks about either Nvidia or ATI.

anyway, two physical CPUs is not exactly the same as dual core.

back on topic:

got any plans for new games on this awesome computer?

Patrickssj6
August 29th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I love my X2 3800+ too...:D

Even though in a German magazine they said it would be under the category "Email & Web-Surfing Computer"...little propaganda bitches.