PDA

View Full Version : Best US President

STLRamsFan
September 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
I feel like this could be a rather interesting debate, who do you feel is the best US President we've had?

My personal pick is Franklin Roosevelt. I feel like his contributions during the Great Depression and WWI were valuable and lead us through these tough times.

Could go more into the reasons but it's getting late and I still have an article to write.

Emmzee
September 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
The best president was obviously James Buchanan (D, 1957 - 1961)

jahrain
September 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Abe Lincoln. Who knows, all we know about former presidents is what we read about them in history books. Suppose future history books refer to Bush as the president who rid the world of terrorism and freed nations by spreading democracy. That would sure give a warped view of what the president is like today.

DrunkenSamus
September 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
George W. Bush. No doubt in my mind.

Con
September 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
George W. Bush. No doubt in my mind.
sarcasm? please?

Xetsuei
September 23rd, 2007, 01:28 AM
Ronald Reagan.

ExAm
September 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Xetsueiâ„¢;164120']Richard Nixon.
Nixon actually did some good things for the country. His only real mistake was attempting to bug the Democratic Headquarters at Watergate.

Pooky
September 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Well... I haven't been a big fan of any presidents in recent history, and it's hard to judge someone who presided over a very different world. So I guess I'm undecided.

Skiiran
September 23rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Harry-truman.jpg/479px-Harry-truman.jpg
This motherfucker, right here. Harry S. Truman. Not only did he have to choose between a ground invasion or A-bombing Japan, he also desegregated our armed forces. He is win and awesome.

DrunkenSamus
September 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
sarcasm? please?

No, shit. I'm afraid to even go to my home country since Iraq is like a country away. Who knows what the damn soldier puppeteer will do next.

Skiiran
September 23rd, 2007, 02:41 AM
No, shit. I'm afraid to even go to my home country since Iraq is like a country away. Who knows what the damn soldier puppeteer will do next.
Harsh, man. Where are you from?

StankBacon
September 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
reagan.

Patrickssj6
September 23rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
No one. They all did something and that's bad enough. ^^

Texrat
September 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Tough choice. I'll say George Washington though. Like me he despised political parties and, as the first president, was least likely to have been corrupted by special interests.

Kornman00
September 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Tough choice. I'll say George Washington though. Like me he despised political parties and, as the first president, was least likely to have been corrupted by special interests.
Stole the words

I do believe hes the one who got the 8 year limit in which we are so greatfully thankful of :)

STLRamsFan
September 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I was actually thinking Washington for awhile too Tex. My government teacher brought up a good point when he explained his reasons for thinking Washington was the best President. He felt that he set an standard for future Presidents to follow and showed authority with the position (like when he knocked down a rebellion).

Chromide
September 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
reagan.

Agreed 100%
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg/479px-Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg

Ronald Reagan :)

Jelly
September 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
George Bush currently tops my Favourite People EVAR list.

Sever
September 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Jefferson. Without him, my city wouldn't exist.

Agamemnon
September 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Quite. The founding fathers were ready to unanimously make him king. Good thing he said otherwise, and, not to mention, he's the only president who never actually wanted to be president.

Texrat
September 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
I predict a landslide victory for some dead president.

I'm in Finland this week, it's late here (8 hours ahead of home) and I'm going to bed. Guess I'll miss the ticker tape parade...

Snowy
September 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
reagan.

As far as recent presidents go (last ~50 years) without a doubt, QFT! Too bad he had alzheimer's :/

Flyboy
September 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Lincoln.

Reagan was a moron.

DrunkenSamus
September 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Harsh, man. Where are you from?

Armenia. But I live in the U.S.

Seriously, it would be George Washington. One, because he was a general in the Revolution and two, My hair kinda resembles his. Hehe...

Mass
September 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Stole the words

I do believe hes the one who got the 8 year limit in which we are so
greatfully thankful of :)

I don't.

anyway, I would have to say it's a tie between Washington and FDR for me.
Washington set a hella high precedent though, but that's not really his fault, I suppose.
FDR did try that court stacking bullshit too.

Now, how about worst presidents!!

Wilson
Reagan
Grant
Nixon
Bush
Return of the Bush.

fatso784
September 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Bush is my pick. He never backed down from anything.

ExAm
September 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
I don't.

Washington set a hella high precedent though, but that's not really his fault, I suppose.

Wilson
Reagan
Grant
Nixon
Bush
Return of the Bush.If Nixon hadn't lied, he'd have turned out great. Too bad, though, really.

CN3089
September 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM

Wilson
Reagan
Bush [Sr.]

You have these three, but not Buchanan? Harding? Pierce? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/emot-psyduck.gif

Bastinka
September 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Washington, George Washington.

Freaking Declaration of Independence man!

Mass
September 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Washington, George Washington.

Freaking Declaration of Independence man!

*COUGH*Jefferson*COUGH*

Also I never said I was gonna list ALL the bad presidents, I was just starting out a list.

Bastinka
September 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
*COUGH*Jefferson*COUGH*
Hand-cock and Franklin. :)

TeeKup
September 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan.

Boba
September 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Stalin.

Agamemnon
September 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

Wilson
Reagan
Grant
Nixon
Bush
Return of the Bush.
Come on everyone, onto the :bandwagon:

Texrat
September 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Bush is my pick. He never backed down from anything.

That's turned out to be his best AND worst trait. That is how such absolute stances turn out.

This nation has always prospered best under strong leaders, those who know when to employ diplomacy and when to stand strong to principle. A truly great president "backs down", ie, alters course when one proves foolish-- yet is adept enough to keep from looking like he's backing down. That takes a skill few have possessed... G. W. Bush is definitely far from that short list. But I would include Teddy Roosevelt, James Madison (another best who gets overlooked) and Harry Truman in that group.

Emmzee
September 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't.

Wilson
Reagan
Grant
Nixon
Bush
Return of the Bush.
You are so wrong.

Without Nixon, our environment would be in even worse shape. Grant, as it turns out, wasn't that bad of a president after all. It was just the South's warped view of Reconstruction that made it into the mainstream. It wasn't Grant, it was his administration. People hated Bush Sr. because of the "read my lips, no new taxes" thing. But at least he raised the taxes and did something about the debt. Reagan beat the Communists with high military spending, effectively making the USSR broke and leading to the fall of the Berlin wall. It's a shame Bush took all the credit for it.

Patrickssj6
September 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Reagan beat the Communists...
Maybe you should re-choose some of those words...but I guess you are partially right.

Agamemnon
September 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Maybe you should re-choose some of those words...but I guess you are partially right.
Uh, the SDI Project? You sure about that? Only partially? And how about the numerous meetings with Gorbachev? And let's not forget his famous Berlin Wall speech.

Tweek
September 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
best world president.

RAWR!~!!
http://www.senternovem.nl/mmfiles/foto%20Balkenende_tcm24-118509.jpg

Emmzee
September 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
No, you don't win the thread. Use shot tags.

Teh Ganon
September 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Ross Perot... oh wait.. he lost. FDR then.