PDA

View Full Version : Another victory against tyranny

Texrat
September 27th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Oregon judge knocks down part of Patriot Act (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2628372820070927)

SEATTLE (Reuters) - An Oregon judge on Wednesday ruled that two provisions of the Patriot Act violated the U.S. Constitution's protection against unlawful searches and seizures.

U.S. District Judge Ann Aiken ruled in favor of Brandon Mayfield, a lawyer wrongly arrested by the FBI in 2004 for possible ties to the Madrid train bombings, who challenged the secret searches of his home and office.

The judge said the amendments made by the Patriot Act to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act allows the government to conduct searches and monitor American citizens without probable cause, which is typically required by the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Very nice bit of news. Of course I expect a vigorous appeal from those allergic to the 4th ammendment...:rolleyes:

Bodzilla
September 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM
thats better then awesome news.

Just gives me a little more faith.

Con
September 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Good news indeed. Hopefully more of that follows for you guys.

dg
September 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Great article and even better resolution!

nooBBooze
September 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Formal "yay" from my side.
But its still considerably probable ill (innocently) end up in guantanamo/get my privacy exploited by the cia or random corps. Its a first step though. i wonder if they keep on stepping even after the election... lets hope so.
Also:http://www.roter-shop.de/images/PK31.jpg

Agamemnon
September 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Also:http://www.roter-shop.de/images/PK31.jpg

Yeah, the US is the only country bombing other countries guys. :rolleyes:

Also, like as if the government really needs the Patriot Act to secretly rummage through your stuff.

Texrat
September 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the US is the only country bombing other countries guys. :rolleyes:

Also, like as if the government really needs the Patriot Act to secretly rummage through your stuff.

Not sure how bombing got into the discussion...

Anyway, Aggy, it's all about rules of law and the consequences for not following them. Bush and Company like to believe they are above the Constitution (and I can provide the quotes to prove it) and this ruling helped to provide notice that, no, they are not. It may be a small victory of principle alone but a victory it remains nonetheless.

Agamemnon
September 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Bombing got into the discussion when Noobbooze posted his propaganda.

Also, I some how doubt this president's administration is any different then previous president's administrations in the department of skimming through the rules and doing things behind the public's back. It's all just a matter of how well you can fool the masses. Clinton did it very well. Nixon? Not so much.

Texrat
September 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Bombing got into the discussion when Noobbooze posted his propaganda.

Also, I some how doubt this president's administration is any different then previous president's administrations in the department of skimming through the rules and doing things behind the public's back. It's all just a matter of how well you can fool the masses. Clinton did it very well. Nixon? Not so much.

Of course this administration is different: it has taken lying, sneaking and utter disrespect for civil liberties to a pervasive level never before recorded in US history. While Clinton surely set a new benchmark during his own administration, and Nixon had his moments, Bush seems fiercely determined to outdo both by a long shot. His abuse of executive orders and other end-runs around standard legislative process are without doubt the most egregious examples of presidential malfeasance in our history. His will be a most shameful legacy indeed.

Kybo_Ren
September 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, to be fair, Nixon was the first to try to use executive privilege to not divulge the contents of tape recordings.
The Bush administration's attempt (this means YOU, Cheney!) to use executive privilege was merely a second place finish :P

Texrat
September 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
My point was not about first, but worst.

thehoodedsmack
September 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yay Freedom!

nooBBooze
September 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Ye didnt really fit in...thats the reason it was in a spoiler section. The overall point of it did make sense to me though. Can i still be with the cool kids? :saddowns:

Good point.