PDA

View Full Version : another good moddable game?

ICEE
October 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
hi. ive been noticing that halo ce is going downhill. now, i love modding, but this game is rarely even played anymore. what other games have free online multiplayer and are fully moddable?(with custom weapons and shit)

Sever
October 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Half-Life Etc.

FireDragon04
October 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I've recently moved to the source engine (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike Source...etc) and its pretty easy to use, hopefully going to tackle some portal and team fortress 2 stuff in a while too.

ICEE
October 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
hmm. ill look into it *looks into empty wallet*....fuck

Sever
October 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Save up for it. Its worth it. Hell, you could even sell sig space to other forum members at .02 USD per pixel. Theres some competition for you Zeph (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/member.php?u=57).

Phopojijo
October 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Obvious advertisement for Unreal Tournament 3/Gears of War PC (whichever suits your application best)

DaneO'Roo
October 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM
UT3

n00b1n8R
October 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM
the best game (out yet) is half life 2 for modding.

crysis or UT3 aren't out yet right?

Zeph
October 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I dont care much for HL2 modding. Mapmaking is as basic as it can get for the tools, but if you want to mess with weapon/player attributes and such for a mod or conversion you need to understand the programming language.

Tweek
October 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
zeph's right. halflife 2 is a bit of a bitch for a "normal" person, whos not so experienced with the "real deal" of developing, since you can propably make weapons etc, but anything beyond that, you'll need to know the coding behind it too.

i wouldn't sent my sights on crysis either, since it's too much of a system hog.

i'd just wait fot UT3 to come out, and spend that time brushing up your skills.

Mr Buckshot
October 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Any game that uses the Source engine (Half-Life 2, CS Source, DoD Source, etc) is superb for modding thanks to the open-source nature and the great physics.

Doom 3 games are also very open and easy to mod, but the engine is not as versatile as the Source engine. The Doom 3 games right now are Doom 3 itself (which sucks), Quake 4, Prey, and ETQW (for this one the engine is heavily modified)

Far Cry is also very moddable but the editor is extremely difficult to use.

And there's always Unreal...

Finally, you can make mods for the original Half-Life 1 games.

Yeah, Halo CE is slowly dying. It's not the most ideal game to make mods for anyway.

Huero
October 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I heard that UT3 is amazingly customizable, but is it so customizable to the extent of creating new weapons and such?

Mr Buckshot
October 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Well, of course! To show how moddable Unreal is:

Splinter Cell 1 was a third-person stealth game, and it used the Unreal engine despite the latter being developed primarily for FPS's.

Huero
October 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Ah, right. Don't forget Gears.
And soon Final Fantasy <_<

DaneO'Roo
October 20th, 2007, 07:12 AM
with UT3 you could literally make nearly your own game.

n00b1n8R
October 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
with UT3 you could literally make nearly your own game.
i'd make a pun regarding how unreal that engine is but i'm not that cheesy.

Phopojijo
October 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I heard that UT3 is amazingly customizable, but is it so customizable to the extent of creating new weapons and such?Here's the thing: When we talk about "How insanely modifiable a game is"... (Quake/Source/Unreal)

Weapons/Vehicles/Maps/Hud are all considered "standard features". That's *not* what we talk about when we say "insanely modifiable". We talk about *how* its all implemented in those cases.

QuakeEngine, Source, and Unreal all have their benefits -- but I'm partial to the way Unreal is set up.

Halo(/2)'s editing kits are *very bad* examples of editing kits.