PDA

View Full Version : Thread Pruning

jcap
October 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Some of you may notice that viewing YouTube and possibly even the music thread can take ages to load. It also puts quite a strain on the database server if some users have their posts per page set to a high amount. We could improve the loading time of the thread by cleaning up some posts, and it could possibly even reciprocate throughout the rest of the forum. With the huge fit you threw over the clipboard thread's deletion, this time we'll let you decide what should be done.

Con
October 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I think every once and a while they should be replaced with fresh threads. Also if you could keep the post counts the same too, 'cus people get pissy about that.

p0lar_bear
October 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Also if you could keep the post counts the same too, 'cus people get pissy about that.

Post counts: the most inaccurate, yet widely used, method of measuring one's ePeen.

Agamemnon
October 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Is that last option for Rossmum? : P

TPE
October 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Taking 1 minute to load 1 thread is insane. I vote to delete the current ones and make a new one. Then do the same thing every month.

I would rather have my post count go down than have the site take forever to load a thread.

n00b1n8R
October 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
i vote delete thread and create a new one.

Emmzee
October 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm a huge faggot.

Stealth
October 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hey Jcap, is there a way to make the threads like that lock themselves after so many posts? The youTube thread has over 1800 posts in it, way not cut it down to 500 posts per one, and then the 501st post gets split off from the first thread and makes a new thread?

Tweek
October 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
just delete them, what's been see had been seen, and there's no point in preserving them because it's good history.

if postcount can be preserved, i guess that'd make some people happy.
really some, since propably only like 10-15 people would care.

personally, i dont give a shit about the postcount. it'd just save the massinve cryfest some people'd throw up.

Bodzilla
October 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
delete the threads,
create a new one
have any posts in the new thread deleted after a month.

on a side note, i dont know if any of u guys know this or not, but in terms of most people i know the post count has never been something we've taken seroiusly.
we just play along to give u guys a laugh :\

and TBH we need a clipboard thread, it does clean up hte off-topic section where topics that arnt good enough to have there own thread get posted.
i've seen alot of topics get moved, removed because of this.... it would probebly save yourself some time.

Emmzee
October 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'm on a shitty 512k connection half the time, and when I am, the YouTube page loads fine for me. It's the Off Topic section that takes so goddamn long to load.

p0lar_bear
October 21st, 2007, 02:32 AM
I'm a huge faggot.

No surprise there.

Wanna make out?

n00b1n8R
October 21st, 2007, 03:49 AM
I'm on a shitty 512k connection half the time, and when I am, the YouTube page loads fine for me. It's the Off Topic section that takes so goddamn long to load.

the whole site is shit slow these days.

and it's been down every now and then for the last few days too :| (and not just for me).

Emmzee
October 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
No surprise there.

Wanna make out?
Oh you know it baby.

Rosco
October 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Where's the delete it then put in a new thread for an actual oh my clipboard has this on it? instead of, put this shit on mah clipboard 4 h2v

19V73
^ ..this is on my clipboard, no idea why :/

Atty
October 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Download each thread in pure text for archives and then clean them out. That way we can save the lulz, putting them up for download (which would be around 10kb/s, if that) so people can still see them.

If people are so worried about their post counts, I could (if given user permissions) go around and re-set your post count to the accurate amount. Wouldn't take too long.

TheGhost
October 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I'm not a huge fan of deletion. I vote lock and start anew.

e.g. "A Risky Proposition v4"

Emmzee
October 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of deletion. I vote lock and start anew.

e.g. "A Risky Proposition v4"
"Post Your Clipboard! v900"

rossmum
October 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Lock and shift somewhere it's less likely to slow shit down if you can. Keep it accessible though, in case we need to go looking for something in there. Don't care about count, only the content itself. Old trash section would be ideal (I still have the link in my user notes), but since there's all that other shit in there plus stuff related to the more automated functions of the forum, perhaps make an "archived threads" section or some shit.

StankBacon
October 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM
delete and forbid.

no need for the same old shit over and over all the time.

rossmum
October 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Unless the stuff you pass off as the 'same old shit' contains something other people might actually want to keep handy, that is.

StankBacon
October 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
right, random crap on peoples clipboard and youtube videos anyone can find on there own are very important.

rossmum
October 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Not everyone can stumble across completely random shit at will. There were things in there that made interesting reading and viewing.

OmegaDragon
October 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Not everyone can stumble across completely random shit at will.

Unless you have StumbleUpon...