PDA

View Full Version : It's almost judgement year

Mr Buckshot
October 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yep, the dreadful EXTENDED ESSAY, also known as EE, unofficially known as Euphemism for Excretions or Emphasized Excretion. Gotta start writing proposals.

Those of you in the IB (International Baccalaureate) program for Grade 11 and 12 (dubbed Year 1 and Year 2) should all know about this. This thing takes so long to approve and write that I start this year, continue in the summer, and submit it in the middle of IB Year 2 (Grade 12).

From the IB website:

Extended essay

The extended essay is an independent, self-directed piece of research, culminating in a 4,000-word paper. As a required component, it provides:

practical preparation for the kinds of undergraduate research required at tertiary level
an opportunity for students to engage in an in-depth study of a topic of interest within a chosen subject. Emphasis is placed on the research process:

formulating an appropriate research question
engaging in a personal exploration of the topic
communicating ideas
developing an argument. Participation in this process develops the capacity to:

analyse
synthesize, and
evaluate knowledge. Students are supported throughout the process with advice and guidance from a supervisor (usually a teacher at the school).

If I could write my EE on Halo...I'd get a score of 7 (96% or higher) easily.

In IB, we do use letter grades (A, B, C, etc) for the report card, but we use scores of 1-7 for the IB result. My IB subjects are Math HL (Higher Level), Biology HL, English HL, Chemistry SL (standard level), History SL, and French SL, along with Theory of Knowledge (mandatory). I take Physics and electronics at the school non-IB level. I get 7's in Math, English, Biology, and TOK, a 6 in Chemistry, a 4 or 5 in French, and I'll be lucky if I get a 3 in History.

If anyone can think of a way to write an EE on video games, I'll love you for life.

To get serious, my EE topic is undecided. I'm trying to do it on...I don't know.

Bodzilla
October 21st, 2007, 02:37 AM
lol english >_>

Reaper Man
October 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Ugh, extended essay. One of the many things they shove into the curriculum to make it so easier to fail the IB Diploma.
How about, write about how the video game industry has more in-depth stories than in the movie industry and use the Halo series as your example. I dunno..

Pooky
October 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Write an essay on the morality of violence in electronic entertainment.

Mr Buckshot
October 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Or how violent games like GTA influence psychological development in underage players. Not sure how I can write 4000 words on that though.

It might be possible to talk about how the video game industry has turned home entertainment on a dime, starting with Pong. I just hope that it won't get rejected by the IB coordinator who just happens to be my TOK teacher :(