PDA

View Full Version : Texture Creation

Anton
October 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hello again, I've been seeing many maps being created lately with the H3 style textures. In example, high ground's textures. I know how to make the Normal maps, etc. Thanks to Madworkz. My question is, how do I create the actual Texture, as in the orangish/brown.

johnnyblaz20
October 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Have you tried to texture a rock or wall with mudbox? It is pretty much just creating a bump type bitmap for the surface than you need to make the shader. But it looks awsome. There is a tut somewhere around here about it. Unless thats the madworks tut you were talking about because it is a madworks production.

If you just wanna make a texture there are many tuts out.

Anton
October 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I got that, thats what I was talking about up there :] I need a texture tutorial on how to make the actual "shader" (color/look) , Not the normal that gives it depth/look.

Roostervier
October 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
You mean the diffuse/specular (mainly diffuse). I'd wait for someone else to post in the topic tbh. <_<

DaneO'Roo
October 31st, 2007, 09:52 PM
You'd need to paint a fairly large cliff diffuse. Like an actual rock texture. Infact, I was the one who made that diffuse for madworkz's tutorial :3

I'd post examples of the many I've painted, but the internet will steal them.

Roostervier
October 31st, 2007, 10:09 PM
You'd need to paint a fairly large cliff diffuse. Like an actual rock texture. Infact, I was the one who made that diffuse for madworkz's tutorial :3

I'd post examples of the many I've painted, but the internet will steal them.Needs moar tuts (from you :3). That first one you made was amazing, I don't see why you shouldn't make another (unless you don't have the time :\). I mean after all, you do have like 9 people and projects you've got to work on/for...

johnnyblaz20
November 1st, 2007, 02:28 AM
I followed that tutorial step by step and i couldnt get my rock to look nowhere near how the mudbox version looked. I seen some of the ripples but nowhere near how it looks in the turorial pics.

Tweek
November 1st, 2007, 03:59 AM
try harder? :P

johnnyblaz20
November 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the help there.:rolleyes: Do i set that bitmap as a bump in my shader?

SnaFuBAR
November 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
keep practicing, and no, you don't use your diffuse as a bump....

johnnyblaz20
November 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Okay i thought that because in the forum do view the actual grooves in the rock he put that image file from mudbox in the bump section. I just wanna know what template i should start with and what section i should put it in the shader..

Chewy Gumball
November 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
You are getting confused with terms you don't understand. The diffuse (colour) map will go in the diffuse slot, the normal map (blue with orange) will go in the bump slot. Also, you have to be more specific when talking. "that bitmap" could mean a lot of things.

Tweek
November 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
my suggestion, look up some of the terminology on wikipedia or something

here's some pointers

diffuse
specular
bump
normalmap
heightmap
displacement
shader

get yourself familiar with these, and we can help you out alot better.

johnnyblaz20
November 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Alright i'll take your advise. Thanks. As you can probably tell i'm quite new to this.
And sorry for being vague in my last post.
I was talking about the image file that you get from mudbox after you bake the texture.
So your saying thats a diffuse image? If so how to i integrate it into my map.
I'm assuming i have to create a shader for it but what i'd mainly like to know is what template would work best with it? Or what area would i attach it to my shader? I did attach it to the bump map on a shader and i could only see my texture slightly but it didnt look right.

Chewy Gumball
November 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
The image file you get from mudbox will most probably be a normal map (i didn't fully read that tutorial). This will go in the bump or normal area of your shader.

You kinda jacked this thread, consider making a new one on this topic ;)

Anton
November 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
It's all good, What you guys have told him I kind of read on. I know about the terminology though. So How would I go about making a Diffuse map?

Chewy Gumball
November 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Use a painting program like photoshop and go crazy.

Anton
November 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Haha + rep for the funny. :] And go crazy as in ? Just paint random things? Or Should I like add filters *clouds etc*

DaneO'Roo
November 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM
no, environmental shit takes alot more effort than simple metal or wood.

Filters are obviously a factor, but a good majority is painting.

Kalub
November 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Psst... don't tell Dano I told you this, but, he is really a spider monkey that drives race cars for a living.

Terror(NO)More
November 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Dano you could always put your sig horizontal on it and save it as a new pic so you dont overwrite others of course but just thought id add in a helpful opinion. Yea one sec and Ill show you a mudebox result I get

Tweek
November 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
way to make sense

SnaFuBAR
November 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Dano you could always put your sig horizontal on it and save it as a new pic so you dont overwrite others of course but just thought id add in a helpful opinion. Yea one sec and Ill show you a mudebox result I get
errr... wut?

Con
November 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
what the fuck is he talking about?

DaneO'Roo
November 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I have NO idea.

Skyline
November 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
The last thing it is, is helpful.

teh lag
November 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I'm sorry, but can you explain what the fuck you just said in a language other than idiot?

JunkfoodMan
November 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?
:bandwagon:

Tweek
November 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
bump'd :<

Anton
November 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hm, I still need help with it, so I guess its ok right mods/Admin?

Haven't bothered asking lately, as I have been busy with school. But I still am having issues with creating diffuse maps.

legionaire45
November 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
HE BLANKED MY BLANK (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread?t=11462) AND BLANKED MY BLANK BLANK UNTIL 5 AM (http://www.cgtutorials.com/c12/Texturing/). I DANCED FOR HIM (http://hfx.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials.html), AND STUCK A BLANK BLANK UP MY BLANK. (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/www.google.com)

Anton
November 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM
legionaire, as many times as you have used the huge font and the pink text, it still makes me warm and fuzzy inside haha. Thanks man for pointing in atleast a general direction. Theres several others in this thread who have helped too.

Found something: http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/stefan_morrell/stefan_01.asp