PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my computer not recognizing certain USB devices.

m13120
November 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have an mp3 player and a camera, I have been able to transfer files off of both to and from my computer. All of a sudden today, I can't add any songs onto my mp3 player or transfer any pictures from my camera to my computer. Yes I have tried using different USB ports. Yes I have tried doing it with other computers using the same cables, and they do work. I do not want to have to go to my friend's house just to add music or transfer pictures. Yet the thing is, my computer still recognizes my external harddrives. When I plug my mp3 player or camera into the computer, nothing comes up, no autorun or picture transfer wizard, nor anything in My Computer, can anyone help?

Mr Buckshot
November 7th, 2007, 09:15 PM
The ports may not be receiving enough power (as in electrical power) from the motherboard. Flash your BIOS if this is the case (it happened with my laptop and the BIOS flash worked).

m13120
November 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Sorry for being a computer newb, but how can I flash my BIOS? I understand how to bring up my BIOS, but what does "flashing" it mean exactly?

Mr Buckshot
November 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.flashbios.org/catalog/

It means that it basically replaces your BIOS, or if it's the same version, resets it. The same thing could be done with old ATI Radeon video cards to turn them into FireGL video cards.