PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 to have its own "Xbox Virtual Console"

MNC
November 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/fall-update/fall-update-announced-download-old-xbox-games-321940.php

Link inside Link is dead.

Zeph
November 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
So does this mean Live for the original Halo or is it still stuck to local play?

odseraphim
November 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
So does this mean Live for the original Halo or is it still stuck to local play?
There's no word, but if it has Live, I'll never touch Halo 2 or 3 again.

ExAm
November 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Oh cool.

Amit
November 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Over exaggeration, Halo 2 and 3 still have features that will draw you back eventually.

Pooky
November 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM

That would be reason enough for me to stoop to getting a console, Halo 1 on Live.

flibitijibibo
November 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM

That would be reason enough for me to stoop to getting a console, Halo 1 on Live.

Well, it wouldn't be so bad on Live because all the n00bs who make in shitty will be playing Halo 3.

Xetsuei
November 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hur. (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/13/fall-xbox-360-dashboard-update-revealed-download-halo-december/)

Awesome. Discuss.

Terry
November 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Not particularly interested in the Halo one unless it has added Online play and/or achievements.

Might consider buying once some of the more interesting ones start coming out.

Mr Buckshot
November 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Lawl Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex.

Sadly, that was my very very first Xbox game that I ever owned. Glad to see it made the list of available launch titles for the service.

Ki11a_FTW
November 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Lawl Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex.

i hate that game

Mr Buckshot
November 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I know, man, Mario 64 pwned Crash Bandicoot in every aspect except graphics.

back on topic: Most of us only have 20 GB hard drives, and the old Xbox games (when compressed) occupy 4.7 GB DVDs, so each game would be a large download, being at least 1 GB in size. Upgrading the X360 hard drive is way too expensive unless you h4x your console (and thus risk a ban from Live) to work with standard hard drives.

I don't think this service will catch on too well, especially since you can pick up a pre-played copy of a legacy Xbox game for under $10 - it may not be brand new, but at EB, all the pre-played games are in pristine condition. And while a stack of game cases may be a bit of an inconvenience, it shows you're cool (LOL) and saves HDD space.

But as Terry said, if Halo 1 gets online capability, it's worth a download. But I highly doubt it - just do a bit of research on the Blam engine (Halo PC's networking code actually emulated system link despite being written 100% from scratch) and you'll see why online play couldn't be added in a re-release or anything. But if MS is smart and manages to emulate system link (easiest option) to get Halo 1 online...oh yeah.

Timo
November 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Two threads merged :-)

Phopojijo
November 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Over exaggeration, Halo 2 and 3 still have features that will draw you back eventually.I didn't touch Halo 3 since October 7th o.o;

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=Phopo+jijo

UT3 demo made me shelf Halo 3 -- sorry Bungie. Epic wins.

LinkandKvel
November 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Sorry guys. MShit has fucked up once again.
http://forums.xbox.com/1/16708601/ShowPost.aspx#16708601
So basically it's pointless. has the EXACT same features the retail disc had. That means NO LIVE SUPPORT, NO ACHIEVEMENTS, NOT EVEN THE XBOX 360 GUIDE FEATURES!!! You can only use the guide to return to the dashboard (Just like the fucking disc can!).
15$ per game. You can get it from your local gamespot at a lower price. Only positive is no disc required and never gets damaged. Thanks Microsoft for making such a wonderful idea into shit. You implemented it badly. Get off your lazy asses and add extra support or your going to lose 3/4 of the people who would have bought it. Even if it took an extra year or so many of us would have bought it if you just took the time to add those feature but instead you guys took the easy way out. Just another money scam expectedly from you. Maybe you guys should actually consider the Community rather then doing what YOU want to do. Terrible choice.

CtrlAltDestroy
November 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Or, maybe they just felt adding it to the list of games available for download? None of the other games got special treatment either. :|

I fail to see how "MShit" (whatever the hell that is) fucked up.

LinkandKvel
November 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
My point is there are NO additional features not just for halo but the others also. Whats the point of this if we can continue to use our disc in that case for less money.

Mr Buckshot
November 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I agree with you Link, the service fails. Sure there's no disc to get damaged, but every true gamer will keep their discs properly in the correct cases. And $15 for these oldies is way overpriced. I saw EB selling Halo 1 for $10 Canadian, and it was pre-played, but the box was in perfect condition and it came with a manual and an undamaged disc.

You can't really blame MS for not adding extra features into Halo - after all, the engine design makes it difficult to just cram in new stuff overnight. In fact, no one is obliged to modify old games to become more "modern" unless you do a complete re-release like the Prince of Persia Classic on the marketplace.

I don't think any of these old games should cost more than $10, really. Look at the Wii virtual console - nothing costs over 1000 points. The lack of a physical disc should reduce costs, not increase them.

Bottom line: The "no disc needed" thing is a poor selling point for the classic games. I can understand the fact that the games receive next to no modifications (especially if they are 3rd-party titles), but I criticize the pricing.

Masterz1337
November 15th, 2007, 11:54 PM
You guys do realize all this is is making a virtual drive for the game disc? The emulation software is already and has been written for a LONG time.

Bodzilla
November 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Lame.

this could of been good.

Pooky
November 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM
You guys do realize all this is is making a virtual drive for the game disc? The emulation software is already and has been written for a LONG time.

The Xbox has even been hacked to pieces so badly that there's functional emulation software for the PC, it just isn't very efficient.

If they didn't do this, all it would mean is more people playing Xbox ISOs on their PCs in a few years when the software is better and processors are more powerful.

Mr Buckshot
November 16th, 2007, 09:04 PM

The Xbox has even been hacked to pieces so badly that there's functional emulation software for the PC, it just isn't very efficient.

If they didn't do this, all it would mean is more people playing Xbox ISOs on their PCs in a few years when the software is better and processors are more powerful.

Yeah, I tried out the Xbox emulator. I torrented Halo 1 xbox (I have the real version, don't worry) to try it out and the performance is comparable to the Xbox's, though the controls are bad and force me to plug in a gamepad. Once it's fully worked out, we'll be emulating Xbox the way we emulate PS1 and N64.

But I should stop flaming the service...it's a good concept but its price really beats it down. I'm sure many Xbox 360 gamers have piles of old legacy titles that they don't mind digging through when they feel nostalgic. On the other hand, not many people still have their Mario Bros NES cartridge ready to rock, which is why the Wii Virtual Console really kicks off. I'm sure that if Nintendo put Gamecube titles on the Virtual console (impossible technically due to only 512 MB internal flash), they wouldn't sell well, and if Sony put PS2 titles on the PSN, they wouldn't sell well either.

Rosco
November 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
They wont add online support to Halo because it would mess with Halo 3 sales.

Sure they're still making profit, but less profit than what they can achieve using Halo 3.

Mr Buckshot
November 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
They wont add online support to Halo because it would mess with Halo 3 sales.

Well that's another valid point, but the most valid reason is that you CAN'T put an online mode in Halo overnight. Look at the engine. Halo PC's networking code had to be written from scratch, and even then, what it really did was simulate system link (the same way xbox owners used some tunnel to go online).