PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Online - Pre-release Party Post

odseraphim
November 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
EDIT: LET THE METROID ONLINE BE LIVE!
http://www.playmetroidonline.com (http://www.playmetroidonline.com/)

Those of you who check the site regularly, or are on our mailing list, this is pretty much a repeat of information we already released. Our mod is going to be released for Halo: Custom Edition this upcoming weekend. We are planning to have 3 maps: Isolation (a Derelict mod), Tallon IV Overworld, and Phendrana Shorelines.

Here's a picture of the current HUD and the idle animation for the oddball:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2000603320_dbdd1c61c7.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2000603320_369ea6878e_o.jpg)

(Re-iterating) Unfortunately, we had to drop the morphball, due to Halo's engine not supporting it, as it doesn't sync online and we agreed not to continue working at it as most people would probably abuse it in games anyways. Hope you still enjoy the mod.

Also, here's a video showcasing the first two of those three anticipated maps for this weekend. We are still finishing up Phendrana, so we don't have footage of that, but we will soon.

High Quality Version at Gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/129525.html)
bXImWtlNjKE

We're also going to do a drawing for prizes, celebrating the release. More information about that at the site (http://www.playmetroidonline.com), but I will post more information when I figure out the best way to do the drawing itself.

Thanks,
Seraphim

PS: Hope to see you guys online soon!

MNC
November 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
That's hot. Unfortunately I've been following it semi-closely, but had no idea this was going to be released this weekend.

You've done an outstanding job, Seraphim. Well done.

Sel
November 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I cant wait, outta curiousity how bad will it look on a 16MB graphics machine?

Pooky
November 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
A lot of the same problems I remember mentioning before are still there... like, why isn't the arm cannon shiny and why is the plasma beam charge so damned huge?

Ah well, still looks cool. The beam effects are great. And you should use Octoliths as flags :D (And I hope there's an Artifact Temple map D:)

I'll definitely try to get back on Halo CE for this.

Metroid4593
November 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Released this weekend? DO WANT

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR THIS YES I LOVE YOU!

Kalub
November 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Liek, hurr

I remember this from the beginning, gratz

Ki11a_FTW
November 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Okay, this looks amazing. I will be playing this all weekend. +rep

ICEE
November 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
this looks awesome. big improvement from before, and damn, samus is hot under the mask o_X

Donut
November 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
one thing, the health bar is blocky. other than that, VERY nice. definatly some of the best work iv seen in a while

Teh Ganon
November 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Wow, very nice!

il Duce Primo
November 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Saw this posted over at gearbox yesterday. This looks cool, hopefully the maps are fun too.

n00b1n8R
November 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM
MASSIVE DOSAGE OF DO WANT.

(even if derelict is a faggot map..)

SnaFuBAR
November 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
looks very interesting. i'll be sure to try it.

DaneO'Roo
November 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Not liking Samus's left hand :X

Everything else is awesome though :D

Except the end of the credits was pretty lame, and I'm not liking the whole derelict mod. The content and shit are great though.

Timo
November 14th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Guess I should've read that mailer that was sent out a couple of days ago D: Might try to get a bit of exam study time off to give this a go, looks amazing :)

odseraphim
November 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Yeah, I didn't like the original map itself, but when I applied the Metroid mod, it seemed to work quite well. It's an abandoned space station, just like some of the ones found in the Metroid universe, so I thought the scenery fit well too.

Gameplay regardless is about the mod, not the map you play it in, unless it's an objective gametype, where Derelict's placement of flags and the use of the teleport system with the second level works well with our mod's focus on vertical gameplay.

*shrugs* This map is obviously not our biggest focus, since it's just a slight modification of a Halo PC map..

Xetsuei
November 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Says the person who is in face. :|

ExAm
November 14th, 2007, 02:04 PM
*commences staring contest with screen*

Pooky
November 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM

no derilict wins D:

jngrow
November 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Well, the mod looks like infinite win, but parts of the video made it look like ass. Don't record a bunch of 1v1s from 3rd person.

Still though, super amazing win.

Kiwi
November 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
This looks like something Kiwi would like to play. Just one question, how does health work?

HDoan
November 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
There is no shield just health so theres only a health bar.

m13120
November 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Heh fun beta testing with you Seraphim! Also health works as when you kill someone, they lose their health orb, you are able to pick it up and regain yours.

OmegaDragon
November 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
:woop: It was awesome seeing this from beginning to end.

Rob Oplawar
November 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Wait, what happened to the morph ball? Did that get cut?

n00b1n8R
November 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Xetsuei™;187000']Says the person who is in face. :|

not any more.

no derilict wins D:

no you win D:

UrKungFuSux
November 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
(Re-iterating) Unfortunately, we had to drop the morphball, due to Halo's engine not supporting it, as it doesn't sync online and we agreed not to continue working at it as most people would probably abuse it in games anyways. Hope you still enjoy the mod.

In response to Rob.

Kiwi
November 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Kiwi personally thinks it wouldn't ork anyway.

odseraphim
November 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Kiwi personally thinks it wouldn't ork anyway.
WELL, now that we have Kiwi's approval, I think we can go ahead and take it out!

Thanks for that! :worship:

Semi-Update: Metroid Database interviewed me about the mod yesterday, I'll post a link when the interview is up.

Sel
November 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM
This looks like something Kiwi would like to play. Just one question, how does health work?

The health works like it does in any metroid game, you have energy, which you regain by powerups.

Rob Oplawar
November 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
In response to Rob.
oh I missed that somehow. thx for pointing that out. it's a bit =( tho

sdavis117
November 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Does this come out tommorow or Sunday because I can't wait to play it. Also, who's hosting the release server(s)?

Ki11a_FTW
November 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Wait, what happened to the morph ball? Did that get cut?

Yes, due to the horrible netcode of halo :fail:

I_Am_Error117
November 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Party!

OOOOOOOOOOOOO goody.

UrKungFuSux
November 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
It makes me T-T to hear that it was cut. Although the rest of the mod looks spectacular.

odseraphim
November 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Haven't seen Lightning since late last night, so I know we're atleast postponing till this evening.

In the meantime, here's that interview I told you guys about:
http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/?g=features&p=metroidonline

Also, contest news will be arriving this evening as well. I'll catch you guys then!

(Btw, I have two maps done, ready for release, so if all else fails, you at least get those two)

StankBacon
November 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM
sweet, cant wait to try this out.

Mexican §niper
November 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Nice nice, you guys are sure doing a great job.

Pooky
November 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Haven't seen Lightning since late last night, so I know we're atleast postponing till this evening.

In the meantime, here's that interview I told you guys about:
http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/?g=features&p=metroidonline

Also, contest news will be arriving this evening as well. I'll catch you guys then!

(Btw, I have two maps done, ready for release, so if all else fails, you at least get those two)

I'm beginning to detect Knights of the Force syndrome :gonk:

Vern125
November 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM
HOLY CRAP AWSOME JOB!!!!!!

Love De Lux
November 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
That's damn awesome :D

Can't wait to see phendrana :)

Gwunty
November 18th, 2007, 01:26 PM
your the reason I even got interested in CE
I origianly got it to play your leaked beta
well anyways
this is the best conversion\mod\sexy halo thing out there
im gonna try it

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Aw man...stupid hackers, my post was deleted, I think. Well, I was just saying, great job on the HUD and I love the oddball animations. It has a melee still, correct? You're probably the best team out there, not because it looks awesome, but because you kept us updated frequently with great eye-candy. You took your time and a reward has come, and it is indeed a great reward.

n00b1n8R
November 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
the guy in the interview sounds like he's abit of a source fanboy :3

just release 2 if that's all you've got and come out with more later.

sdavis117
November 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM
The weekend is over (for me atleast), which means I'm going to have to wait until wendsday to play it. But I don't care. Even if I had to wait till next year, it would still be worth the wait.

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I wonder...by 'weekend,' did he mean 'extended 9 day Thanksgiving weekend?' At least for me.(This weekend[2], this [5] day school week, and then next weekend[2])=9

ExAm
November 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I think the post got deleted, but I think Seraphim said that it'll be released when it's done, but he hopes to have it out by the end weekend.

odseraphim
November 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
It'll never be released, we cancelled! :lol:
We decided to do a public beta of the new mod, uploading the files and going to make a post on the site first... I'll post back here when done.

Hold on tight!

Also, no Phendrana, but it'll come soon :) Maybe b4 turkey daiz?

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
A big w00t to you! Take your time on Phendrana, it was a great level in Metroid Prime.

FRain
November 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
:f5:

odseraphim
November 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
LET THE METROID ONLINE BE LIVE!

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
OMG IT'S OUT!! SPAZZ OUT!!!
Who's hosting? What map? Both? Ok.
-----------DOWNLOADING---------

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hello Download!
=D
Someone needs to host a server.
I <3 you guys now. Just finished Mythology homework in time!!!!!

Archon23
November 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
SERVER NOW!

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
WHOS'S MAKING SERVERIHANFOPSA!?

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I am. Check for a halo server, just named halo, and look for isolation. You might find me. 10 players only, and no guarantee of lag free game. I just got sick of waiting for a server.

ODX
November 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Alright! Let's do it! I posted this on halomaps
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=13499

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
It's not dedicated. :(

ExAm
November 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM
*downloads* GET ME A SERVER STAT, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

Pooky
November 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
LET THE METROID ONLINE BE LIVE!

YOU ARE AWESOME FOR NOT HAVING KNIGHTS OF THE FORCE SYNDROME

e: I've got a listen serve up now, since theres no dedis on it

and I didn't see a listen for it

HDoan
November 18th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Lulz that test was awesome, it's like guitar hero but with guns.
Lulz I own more deaths than kills.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4499/iownjf3.png

Archon23
November 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I ALMOST BEAT YOU IN KING SERA. I WAS OFF BY 8 SECONDS :gonk:

All in all, an awesome mod. I'll make nitpicks ounce I can get a game that lets me see my nitpicks, there was no way to see anything with all that shit flying around. :awesome:

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That was so freaking awesome. AWESOME I SAIZ. Next time, I'll try to set up a dedicated server.

Hi everyone, and thanks for playing at my server!!

XD. Oh yeah, and if someone would make a list of gametypes and map they like, that would be appreciated. Isa got fifth!

Teh Ganon
November 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
For some reason, when I download the file and extract, the map is corrupt... I would put this on my dedi for a few days but, yeah...

odseraphim
November 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
For some reason, when I download the file and extract, the map is corrupt... I would put this on my dedi for a few days but, yeah...
Obviously, others arent having that problem. Try redownloading?

Gwunty
November 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Lulz that test was awesome, it's like guitar hero but with guns.
Lulz I own more deaths than kills.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4499/iownjf3.png
I beat your ass the next game...

Timo
November 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I come home from a 3 hour exam to find this, awesome :-D

Huero
November 18th, 2007, 10:24 PM
oh fuck me this was released on my way to moms and now I cant play for 3 days

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
XD "HDoan: In a non gay way of course"
Wth is that about?
So, who's up for a server around 9ish?

Ifafudafi
November 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Alright; I've lurked for five months, and I think it's time to come out of my hidey-hole for a second to give this thing some well-deserved praise.

Wow.

The amount of work that's obviously gone into this thing is astronomical. When playing on Tallon IV, the only thing reminiscent of Halo here is the horrible netcode and the announcer. I had a blast for the short time I tried this, and there are only some minor complaints in the face of how awesome this mod is.

Keep it up, and I hope that this thing keeps getting updated with even sexier stuff.

Timo
November 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Oh snap, and no server up anymore (except for some stupid locked one) :-(

Archon23
November 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Pity you missed the lolplasmaflyingeverwhere match. :downs:

Pooky
November 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well the news is less than fantastic...

I guess I'll start with the gameplay. It's all basically spray and pray, with 4 different varieties of pretty effects to add to your spam.

I don't understand the exclusion of crouching and melee, along with the lack of the morph ball it actually feels like movement has been dumbed down quite a bit.

For some reason, practically everything has homing. There's no reason for that, only missiles and the wave beam charge shot should have homing.

The variety in the weapons is miniscule at best, and makes little to no use of all the different ways Halo can hurt people. If I were doing the weapons, it would be something like

The lack of any sort of pickups makes the environment completely pointless to explore, and starting with all the weapons means you can basically just figure out which beam you prefer and never change from it. It would be better if the weapons were all pickups, and they could even be colored spheres like in Hunters for more metroidy flavor. Some other items from the Metroid universe would be nice as well, such as perhaps a phazon beam for uber spraying and a sonic boom that sends people flying

Power beam stuns enemies, charge shot gets headshots

Plasma beam has a scope, charge shot sets fires that do actual damage

Wave beam annoys people with purple screen flashes, charge shot has homing and a more intense screen flash

Havoc beam and missiles are pretty much fine as they are, though the missile damage could use some rebalancing.

It might be a good idea to increase samus's falling speed somewhat, the high floaty jump is annoying and doesn't really feel anything like Metroid Prime

On to the aesthetics...

The Power Beam effects are pretty schizophrenic, they should all be yellow not rainbow colored

The wave beam charge trail doesn't always line up straight (though the rest of the wave beam effects are fantastic)

The arm cannon still isn't shiny, and the arm cannon permutations should be a little more pronounced. At times it was hard to tell what beam I was even using

The Plasma Pistol reticle needs to go, the R aiming reticle from Prime would be better

There's no need to have the arm cannon come back up when picking up the flag, since all the beams have the arm cannon in the same place, just have the animation for taking out the flag have samus move the arm cannon over a bit

The dying animation is pretty lame, a nice explosion would be better. With no damage, but a bit of force maybe (especially since the animation plays an explosion sound)

The charge beam balls are way off in third person, and don't seem to give off any light

Don't take me as being unappreciative of all the hard work put into the mod, but it's still got plenty of room for improvement. Hope this helped some.

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Server in 15 mins. Setting up a dedicated one, but it's not going too well.

Timo
November 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07471/Image_000036.jpg
Ignore Corgy http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-argh.gif

UrKungFuSux
November 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Nvm. No server tonight unless people want to join. 2 posts will persuade me to do so.

StankBacon
November 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
uploading to the [HIV] Server (http://www.halonews.org/server/) right now.

very cool btw.

ICEE
November 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
i just played on the hiv server, 2 against one, me being the one. havok beam = win at long range, but the weapons have to much guided angular velocity, and they get confused between people at times. for example, i want my plasma beam to hit one guy, but it will swerve towards another guy at the last second, not getting near hitting him and missing them both.

Umt~Wolf
November 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM
WHOS'S MAKING SERVERIHANFOPSA!?
Dude you on crack or something?I clicked the downloads:DWill test it after school..Maybe.

ExAm
November 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Anything homing seems to overcorrect when you shoot at someone, and 70&#37; of the time I can't hit anyone with homing projectiles.

OmegaDragon
November 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM
OMG I missed the release??? I was hoping it was going to be a thread in the release forums and spent all my time watching for any signs. I really need to pay more attention :gonk:

n00b1n8R
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM
anybody want to play on the HIV server now?

odseraphim
November 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Well since you've been more than frank, I'm going to go ahead and do the same:

I don't understand the exclusion of crouching and melee, along with the lack of the morph ball it actually feels like movement has been dumbed down quite a bit.

Yeah, it has dumbed down a bit because you aren't stuck on one tier of the multi-tiered terrain, rolling around in a lethargic ball, dropping bombs. You don't need crouching, you halotard :p Melee might be added, but we'll see.

For some reason, practically everything has homing. There's no reason for that, only missiles and the wave beam charge shot should have homing.

Sorry, go play Metroid Prime. Every charged beam, and actually every beam has homing when locked. Since we can't have locking without the use of an app, that's what you get.

The lack of any sort of pickups makes the environment completely pointless to explore, and starting with all the weapons means you can basically just figure out which beam you prefer and never change from it. It would be better if the weapons were all pickups, and they could even be colored spheres like in Hunters for more metroidy flavor. Some other items from the Metroid universe would be nice as well, such as perhaps a phazon beam for uber spraying and a sonic boom that sends people flying

You are right, there is a lack of pickups and environment exploration, because we released two small-sized maps. Deal with it. There's a constant barrage of health and missiles to pick up. The weapons aren't going to be little orbs for you to pick up, it's bad enough arranging everything in the first place, let alone making you dash over to some area to get your favorite beam. And, you've obviously not had any interaction with the Halo Editing Kit in awhile, or you'd know why we only had the number of beams we did and why we dropped one for oddball and ctf: you can only hold 4 weapons/items at a time.

Power beam stuns enemies, charge shot gets headshots

No it won't, do you have ANY idea how annoying stun is in Halo online? You try getting one person to play the mod after that addition, I doubt it would happen. Charge shot shouldn't have headshots, if anything should it should be the only beam somewhat like a sniper rifle, the Plasma beam.

Scope is an ok idea, but once you zoom in, we'd have to create a faux HUD on the scope itself, or make a weird-looking custom one. Fire is about as annoying as stun. You just dance around, on fire, and you really can't judge when you are about to keel over and die, SORTA LIKE THE FLAMETHROWER!

Wave beam annoys people with purple screen flashes, charge shot has homing and a more intense screen flash

We.. have that already?

Havoc beam and missiles are pretty much fine as they are, though the missile damage could use some rebalancing.

We made the missile damage the way it is to balance out the beams. If you aren't precise with your plasma fire (any of the beams), we give you a missile, similar to a grenade in damage and shockwave (manner that it pushes you backwards/propels you). It's a glorified grenade, trust me.

The Power Beam effects are pretty schizophrenic, they should all be yellow not rainbow colored

They are yellow with a slight blue contrail encasing them.

The wave beam charge trail doesn't always line up straight (though the rest of the wave beam effects are fantastic)

That's because of homing then, or the way Halo handles contrails, not really that big of a deal if you can deal with something not being perfect that you can't change.

The arm cannon still isn't shiny, and the arm cannon permutations should be a little more pronounced. At times it was hard to tell what beam I was even using

The shininess is something we could fix easily, I'll look into that. The arm cannon permutations are also marked by a specific display on the bottom right to show you what beam you are using. The box slides into the middle, the colors represent each beam: power, havoc, wave, and plasma. Shoot one, you should be able to figure out which one is which.

The Plasma Pistol reticle needs to go, the R aiming reticle from Prime would be better

I agree, but it sorta gets in the way, we chose a minimalistic reticle for the mod, so there wasn't a huge scope the size of 4 people's heads in the middle of your HUD.

There's no need to have the arm cannon come back up when picking up the flag, since all the beams have the arm cannon in the same place, just have the animation for taking out the flag have samus move the arm cannon over a bit

There sorta is a reason, it's used for melee. It actually (if you look at it) pulls up, out of the way. It's not like you can't see with it there, we just made it that way to show that you still had the ability to use your cannon.

The dying animation is pretty lame, a nice explosion would be better. With no damage, but a bit of force maybe (especially since the animation plays an explosion sound)

A 'nice explosion' causes exceptions. You have problems when you make the biped disappear, trust me, a LOT of problems. The animation plays a death sound and the sound of her suit shutting down, I don't recall an explosion..

The charge beam balls are way off in third person, and don't seem to give off any light

They give off light, go into 3rd person in a LAN server, and you'll see. We know about the charge balls, we'd just have to move them by hand, and we didn't have the opportunity, since we were working on more important things.

DaneO'Roo
November 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Scope is an ok idea, but once you zoom in, we'd have to create a faux HUD on the scope itself, or make a weird-looking custom one.

Er, thats not hard.

:effort:

I agree, but it sorta gets in the way, we chose a minimalistic reticle for the mod, so there wasn't a huge scope the size of 4 people's heads in the middle of your HUD.
:lack of effort:

make a new reticle dammit, also not hard.

ODX
November 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM
People have no respect, they did tell the truth though, but it's so addicting I don't really care.
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=13499
Nine great pics are on my xfire.
http://xfire.com/screenshots/odx999/
This one is my favorite:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/51feef4a11201b17999d9b9805cd33778726df1d.png

p0lar_bear
November 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Great job on the release so far, but I have just a couple minor grievances, mostly with cosmetic things.

You should swap out the shader type for Samus's eyes; putting a transparent shader behind anothr transparent shader makes her eyes glow.
A certain something at the back of the Tallon map is making my framerate hit the floor and keep going.
The Samus model doesn't have LODs. This might cause some framerate issues in full servers.
Please to be getting rid of the gametype icon.
Particle and charging effects completely miss the arm cannon; you need to move the marker down just a tad on the third-person model.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5616/missedfh8.png

Rosco
November 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ditch the secret room seraph, atleast the idea of the room, keep what it has. I tell you, once I exploited it and accidently said about it, server gameplay went dead.

Also what's the deal with the death anim? :p

Also ODX, terribly sorry about being a jerk. Didn't realise I was 10 years older than you. Lmfao.

flibitijibibo
November 19th, 2007, 12:41 PM
"C:\Users\Shdwsnipa\Documents\Isolation RC1.zip: CRC failed in Isolation RC1.map. The file is corrupt"

Noooooes!

Pooky
November 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah, it has dumbed down a bit because you aren't stuck on one tier of the multi-tiered terrain, rolling around in a lethargic ball, dropping bombs. You don't need crouching, you halotard :p Melee might be added, but we'll see.

The lack of crouching just feels wierd, and samus' fall speed is still too floaty.

Sorry, go play Metroid Prime. Every charged beam, and actually every beam has homing when locked. Since we can't have locking without the use of an app, that's what you get.

Believe me, I played the shit out of Metroid Prime and I don't recall that, but I'll take your word for it.

You are right, there is a lack of pickups and environment exploration, because we released two small-sized maps. Deal with it. There's a constant barrage of health and missiles to pick up. The weapons aren't going to be little orbs for you to pick up, it's bad enough arranging everything in the first place, let alone making you dash over to some area to get your favorite beam. And, you've obviously not had any interaction with the Halo Editing Kit in awhile, or you'd know why we only had the number of beams we did and why we dropped one for oddball and ctf: you can only hold 4 weapons/items at a time.

It still couldn't hurt to have health and missile pickups so you don't have to rely completely on defeating an enemy who is far better equipped than you.
Besides having large swathes of unused environment on the map is annoying.

Scope is an ok idea, but once you zoom in, we'd have to create a faux HUD on the scope itself, or make a weird-looking custom one.

Effort. :|

Fire is about as annoying as stun. You just dance around, on fire, and you really can't judge when you are about to keel over and die, SORTA LIKE THE FLAMETHROWER!

I disagree, having it set fires on the ground would make it sort of like the bio rifle, and add a little bit of strategy. But that's purely a matter of opinion.

We.. have that already?
That may have been my fault for playing on a shitty PC in a laggy server :p

We made the missile damage the way it is to balance out the beams. If you aren't precise with your plasma fire (any of the beams), we give you a missile, similar to a grenade in damage and shockwave (manner that it pushes you backwards/propels you). It's a glorified grenade, trust me.

It's not even so much the damage they do, but the fact that you can spam 3 missiles very rapidly makes it easy to jump into a crowd with no missiles and get a killtacular.

They are yellow with a slight blue contrail encasing them.

The impact effect is green tinged and the charge effects lack blue. It would look nicer if the colors were all consistent. i.e. the charge beam ball has a blue tinge on the edges, as do the impact effects

That's because of homing then, or the way Halo handles contrails, not really that big of a deal if you can deal with something not being perfect that you can't change.

You know perfectly well that was just a nitpick. As I said the wave beam effects (and really all the beam effects) look incredible, I was very impressed by the mod from a graphical and aural standpoint.

The shininess is something we could fix easily, I'll look into that. The arm cannon permutations are also marked by a specific display on the bottom right to show you what beam you are using. The box slides into the middle, the colors represent each beam: power, havoc, wave, and plasma. Shoot one, you should be able to figure out which one is which.

I know that, as I said before I played a ton of prime. It's on that basis I made that statement in the first place, sometimes it's annoying to have to look at the HUD to really tell what beam I'm using... and due to the as yet large focus on long range vertical fighting, firing off a shot could give you away easily. But again, it's a nit pick.

You could always just take the Prime reticle and scale it down.

There sorta is a reason, it's used for melee. It actually (if you look at it) pulls up, out of the way. It's not like you can't see with it there, we just made it that way to show that you still had the ability to use your cannon.

I think you took my meaning the wrong way. Notice how when you pick up the flag, the arm cannon mysteriously disappears off the screen, and comes up again? Since the animations for all the beams are largely the same, it would look better to have samus simply change to the power beam and move the arm cannon to the side a bit, so the animation flows better.

A 'nice explosion' causes exceptions. You have problems when you make the biped disappear, trust me, a LOT of problems. The animation plays a death sound and the sound of her suit shutting down, I don't recall an explosion..

I honestly wouldn't know, I prefer to play rather than content create, and give feedback when I can. I haven't touched the HEK in a long time. I swear I can hear a faint explosion in the sound, and since samus explodes in virtually every 2D metroid game I don't see why it would be different in prime. If nothing else you could try having a bright flash or lens flare without having the biped disappear, so you get the impression some critical suit part failed. That brings up something else I forgot to mention, there's very little indication of how much you've actually damaged someone, which can be frustrating at times.

They give off light, go into 3rd person in a LAN server, and you'll see. We know about the charge balls, we'd just have to move them by hand, and we didn't have the opportunity, since we were working on more important things.

It's more important than you think, the funky 3p charge balls do a pretty good job of killing the immersion.

ExAm
November 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Seraphim, please, either alter the homing so it doesn't make you miss half the time, or take it out entirely.

UrKungFuSux
November 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
server at 7:15 anyone?

Sel
November 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
K I played them.

I must say I didnt enjoy it as much as I had hoped, but that might just have been since I didnt play with anyone, Ill keep them in my folder for now.

What I liked:

The entire metroid feel.
HUD
Weapons
Missles
The flag\oddball (metroid)

I especially loved the charging of each of the beams, that was just epic awesomeness for me :D

What I didnt like:
The maps I played were too small

I couldnt use the ice beam thingy.

The performance didnt make me overly happy, but my computers shit so yea, disregard this.

Again the maps were too small, I would have really prefered something BG sized.

I felt gameplay would be improved if you just started with the power beam, and then went about to pick up the other 3 beams.

Anyway I love the effort put in.

And I remember a while back you had the morph ball in it, but it wouldnt sync in multiplayer. I would love you to pieces if you made a halo CE campaign mod where you play as samus, with morph ball and everything.

Overall, Good work.

UrKungFuSux
November 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Up and running, join?

odseraphim
November 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Heh. Selentic, Kirby is actually working on a top secret single-player.. oh. Um, hi.

So this is what is going down:

We fixed the 3p charging animation
We fixed some things on the fp charge ball(s)
We fixed the lag on the missile fire animation
We made an LOD for Samus
We're working on a melee animation
We're going to tweak homing so it's perfect for online games, or take it out, either one.
I'm going to fix the reticle, and add a zoom for the plasma beam so you can achieve headshots (but still no fire).= <3 and cake?

ICEE
November 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Heh. Selentic, Kirby is actually working on a top secret single-player.. oh. Um, hi.

We made an LOD for Samus
We're going to tweak homing so it's perfect for online games, or take it out, either one.
I'm going to fix the reticle, and add a zoom for the plasma beam so you can achieve headshots (but still no fire).= <3 and cake?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/1097.jpg
&
http://atkinsfarms.com/store/media/cake-8inch.jpg
:D

UrKungFuSux
November 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
No one joined. =[
One guy did, but after I killed him, he left.

ExAm
November 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Setting up a server now.

IP: 69.109.231.125

Server name: Metroid Online

I hope you guys can join, my forwarding isn't set up correctly :(

Ki11a_FTW
November 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
i got to the top of tallon iv really easily :ssh:

the playerclip has an invisible path :lol:

Gwunty
November 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
closing that last door and adding...crap I hate spoilers

Archon23
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Setting up a server now.

IP: 69.109.231.125

Server name: Metroid Online

I hope you guys can join, my forwarding isn't set up correctly :(

That was fun until you killed us all with your host advantage. >:U

ExAm
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Oh god that was awesome. Being host really helps :awesome:

Oh, and Seraphim, I think a swift, powerful right jab with the barrel of the arm cannon would be awesome (Even better if at impact it creates a small explosion effect, implying a firepower-assisted punch :3 )

Also, make sure that whatever you use hits towards the center of the screen, otherwise, like the oddball melee animation, it'll look like you aren't even hitting the person you're aiming at.

p0lar_bear
November 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I really don't think Samus is capable of enough brute strength to do a lot of damage with melee weaponry.

FRain
November 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
P0lar, Samus can do about 400 frontflips without stopping, without even taking a breath. I think she can punch. :v

ICEE
November 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
yeah, plus she has a laser whip/grapple

p0lar_bear
November 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Acrobatics and strength are two different animals. :eng101:

ExAm
November 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
And the power suit? The one that augments her strength greatly? Where does that fit in this picture you're painting?

n00b1n8R
November 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM
so here are my thoughts, bad nes first mmk?
the HUD is fucking clutterd
why does the fire beam do this strange kick on the contrail when you fire it at a distant target? (it swerves out then back in a fair way down the beam)
wth no crouching?? you can do it in the metroid games I've played, it helps get cover (which you can want in some situations)
why only 3 rockets? and I get this looping fire anim when I fire one then start fireing again before it ends. (make me have to get to the end of the anim before fireing again)
random bounce - can the bouncy gun (IDK any of their actuall names, I'm sure you can work out which I'm refering too) projectiles bounce at a random angle like the needler (or is that only because the needler isn't totally accurate).
homing. fix that so it doesn't fuck over
reticle- though the PP does the job, I think a custom one would work better.
the metroid (i'm sure it's bigger in the game, you can hardly see it unless your holding it and then the HUD gets in the way)everything else I love, the weapons seem well ballanced, though I do have a few ideas:

fire beam thing should be able to light fires like the splazer on the CMT mapsIMO
I think that giving the weapons over-heating could prevent abit of the spam that takes place, or if they didn't have unlimited amo (except the default gun) (though don't make it stingy) and if you do put amo in:
have amo that you have to walk around to get to that instantly re-fill's your amo (make the amo spawn in a place were the weapon isn't to usefull to avoid camping). I like pooky's idea of the floaty orb thing.
make it easier to tell what weapon somebody has selected in 3rd person (I really can't tell till they start shooting)
when samus dies, make the body fade out (I don't really know what I'm talking about, but can't you use some gradient black to white thing to make things transparent?)that's all I can think of, good mod overall. why not try out some of the ideas people are throwing around. the're just beta's so go nuts!!

p0lar_bear
November 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM
wth no crouching?? you can do it in the metroid games I've played, it helps get cover (which you can want in some situations)
I think that giving the weapons over-heating could prevent abit of the spam that takes place, or if they didn't have unlimited amo (except the default gun) (though don't make it stingy) and if you do put amo in:

Seraphim set out to make this play as closely to Metroid: Prime/Prime 2 as possible. Crouching was only available in Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission, all three being side-scrolling platformers, and all the 3D Metroid games (meaning Prime, Prime 2, and Prime: Hunters; I haven't played Prime 3 yet) have is either biped or alt-form.

The only weaponry to have ammunition throughout all of the games (Prime: Hunters and Prime 3 being exceptions) have been missiles and missile variants, super bombs, and the dark/light beams; missiles are the only weapons on that list that have made it into this mod.

make it easier to tell what weapon somebody has selected in 3rd person (I really can't tell till they start shooting)
As far as I know, that would require the biped model to be completely redone just for the arm cannon. http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-effort.gif

when samus dies, make the body fade out (I don't really know what I'm talking about, but can't you use some gradient black to white thing to make things transparent?)
That's not possible with Halo's engine as far as I know. And as Seraphim said, fucking with dead player bipeds is bad news; remember how one build of Chronopolis would exception randomly when you gibbed a dead player?

n00b1n8R
November 20th, 2007, 03:08 AM
remember I'm too new to the community to remember that?

so you can't just rip off the cannon part of the biped and have it scripted to put the weapon there (on the backpack weapon mod it show's your other weapons on you back after you die so that could work right?)

I still feel some method to reduce spammage needs to be implemented :|

hopefully some later maps will be more spread out in both spawns and targeted gametypes to encourage using the whole map (as it is, I only use the tunnel to hide with the flag on red team)

Sel
November 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM

We made an LOD for Samus

Yey metroid single player in halo :D

Imma gonna give you more +rep when It stops telling me to spread some around. :D

odseraphim
November 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Here's what else I decided I want to do:

We're going to take the slot for the havoc beam (since it's arguably the most powerful beam right now) and use it for pickups. What you will essentially be able to do is find a special pickup in certain areas of the map, and whoever gets to it first, gets to use that pickup weapon. Havoc will be one of them, we'll see what else we come up with, I'm sure Teh Lag has some ideas of additional beams. When you kill someone, they will drop their pickup item, but none of their other beams. We'll have a custom 3d model for each one (similar to the upgrades in the metroid prime games).
I want to create a charging station device that is littered around the levels to provide additional health. I like my original idea of when you kill a player, you get a health pack, but we'll see how that works out after some additional testing.
I'm going to fix the missiles to be more of a combo/secondary weapon than a primary weapon you can use to cast utter doom on a group of fighting players.
I mentioned the melee before, but I want to explain it. It's going to be a sword-like stabbing melee. What Samus will do is concentrate the power of her beam into a sword and thrust forwards with it. Each beam will have it's own melee attack, but I don't think we're going to change damage between them... feedback?

ExAm
November 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/Picture055.png

Sever
November 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I believe you've got it seraph. The map cannot be just an arena for combat - it also has to have areas that are more valuable than others, so players won't always take the shortest path to their enemies - or will take the shortest path and have to fight an uphill battle. Also, two types of missiles maybe? I know almost nothing about the Metroid series, though, so disregard that if necessary. Thanks for the great mod, seraph & team!

ODX
November 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I mentioned the melee before, but I want to explain it. It's going to be a sword-like stabbing melee. What Samus will do is concentrate the power of her beam into a sword and thrust forwards with it. Each beam will have it's own melee attack, but I don't think we're going to change damage between them... feedback?
Why not just make her slap them with her grappling beam?

p0lar_bear
November 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Super missiles would be sex y/n

e:

Why not just make her slap them with her grappling beam?
Grappling beam don't hurt.

DAWN
November 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
this is so f**ing AWESOME!!!!!
PS: did anyone else notice the the Wii-mote in Isolation?

n00b1n8R
November 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I want to create a charging station device that is littered around the levels to provide additional health. I like my original idea of when you kill a player, you get a health pack, but we'll see how that works out after some additional testing.

that's the one part I really didn't like. one of the things I do love about the mod in it's current state is the way the inclusion of health orbs being the only way to regain health makes people want to be engaged in the fighting instead of hanging back and sniping/not fighting.

PS. go look in the secret room in talon IV (behind the closed door)

odseraphim
November 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
PS. go look in the secret room in talon IV (behind the closed door)
No don't, the door is a lie..

n00b1n8R
November 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
well make it go somewhere usefull D:

that room is to sexy to waste, add some more to the map out that way :< (stick a door near the blue flag and have some tunnels head down that way perhaps?)

by the way, this does support all gametypes right, including race?

odseraphim
November 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM
by the way, this does support all gametypes right, including race?
It doesn't support any gametypes. We modded it to be gametype incompatible.

Pooky
November 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I really don't think Samus is capable of enough brute strength to do a lot of damage with melee weaponry.
:lol:

Crouching was only available in all the 2D metroid games besides the first one

ICEE
November 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I have some thoughts about pick up beams.

a sniper beam

a gausshogesque exploding beam

a beam you charge, and then shoot a large powerful blast, like the spartan laser.

a rapid fire beam like the one dark samus uses in metroid prime 2

super missiles

mines

etc

just some ideas, any of these things would be cool to see in gameplay

ExAm
November 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
^no. This is metroid, not halometroidgenericshooter

Kirby_422
November 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
PS. go look in the secret room in talon IV (behind the closed door)No don't, the door is a lie..
ya, thats where the morphballs origenaly spawned, I locked that door way back then, and I guess it never ended up getting unlocked lol
acualy.. those morphballs may still be there.. people have said it lags over there? the morphballs cuased that if they all spawned at once.. O.o

Hurrvish
November 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I like the morphball models :)

Sel
November 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Something similiar to the shock coil, and imperialist from metroid prime hunters would make me a happy panda.

p0lar_bear
November 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM
:lol:
Seriously. Give me a CANON example where Samus demonstrated raw powah not in form of firepower or acrobatics; Super Smash Bros and its sequels don't count.

Even so, has it really been useful for something besides starting the shinespark?

n00b1n8R
November 21st, 2007, 12:25 AM
I think the fact samus can perform the acrobatic maneuvers she does is testament to her strength (and if you claim that it's the suit helping her, then why can't it help her wack).

p0lar_bear
November 21st, 2007, 01:07 AM
I think the fact samus can perform the acrobatic maneuvers she does is testament to her strength (and if you claim that it's the suit helping her, then why can't it help her wack).
Obviously the suit doesn't assist with her agility, save for the Speed Booster powerup, as Samus has the same core maneuverability out of it as she does in it.

I'm just saying that she doesn't possess the same brute strength as a SPARTAN-II, Covenant Elite, or, well, a Brute. While she's certainly strongER than a normal human being, I doubt she can put on enough hurt to an armored target with just her bare hands.

n00b1n8R
November 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM
there are metroid games where samus does stuff out of the suit?

and also, she's not fighting a brute/elite/chief, she's fighting a clone of herself :downs:

ExAm
November 21st, 2007, 01:31 AM
Obviously the suit doesn't assist with her agility, save for the Speed Booster powerup, as Samus has the same core maneuverability out of it as she does in it.

I'm just saying that she doesn't possess the same brute strength as a SPARTAN-II, Covenant Elite, or, well, a Brute. While she's certainly strongER than a normal human being, I doubt she can put on enough hurt to an armored target with just her bare hands.
In case my post got deleted after the hack, I recall from the Metroid Prime manual that the suit is a powered, strength-augmenting exoskeleton built for her by the Chozo.

Tweek
November 21st, 2007, 04:25 AM
i like how this became one big whine about samus being strong or not strong.

odseraphim
November 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM
i like how this became one big whine about samus being strong or not strong.
SAMUS ISN'T STRONG, HER SUIT IS! :tinfoil:

nooBBooze
November 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM
lol i keep getting exeption on chozo and tallon vi. and the few minutes i got to play on frosthaven before i exeptiond out, it was rather buggy. the biped was still a mc altough it had the fp armcannon and that strange ball that acts like a vehicle was only able to move sidewards. at first i thought disabling the yelo battery would help but it didnt.
any suggestions?

Con
November 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Sweet, downloading now

ExAm
November 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM
The "current" links lead to downloads of Halo CE :?

p0lar_bear
November 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
lol i keep getting exeption on chozo and tallon vi. and the few minutes i got to play on frosthaven before i exeptiond out, it was rather buggy. the biped was still a mc altough it had the fp armcannon and that strange ball that acts like a vehicle was only able to move sidewards. at first i thought disabling the yelo battery would help but it didnt.
any suggestions?

Those are old maps. Read the news posted on the homepage of the site to get the new versions.

Pooky
November 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Even so, has it really been useful for something besides starting the shinespark?

Uhm, in Metroid 2 it was useful for shooting some of the small enemies, and in Super Metroid it was useful in that oen part right after you got the morph ball.

n00b1n8R
November 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
the maps are now on halomaps for those who've had trouble accessing the offical site (such as zilla)

also, is anybody hosting this on a dedi? HIV had it but it's gone now (shame :<)

and instead of crouch, why not a long jump/double jump?

Gwunty
November 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
yes I rember you guys having the double jump before
I forgot why it disappeard

Pooky
November 24th, 2007, 12:42 AM
and instead of crouch, why not a long jump/double jump?

Or maybe something that would actually work, like a dash. You could call it the speed booster :U

n00b1n8R
November 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
the ice beam is pretty powerful on isolation O_o
tbh, I think you need to reduce the number of times it can bounce to avoid spammage (which happens alot in large games of isolation slayer).

the wave beam doesn't seem that powerfull too :S

also, on Talon IV, the vine things that hang from one of the rocks that make the steps are only visible on 1 side.

ExAm
November 24th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I don't like how far away the water plane is from the face of the rock, especially since you can walk behind it and see that it's only a single plane. You might want to put the water plane a little closer to the rock, and curve it around so that you can't really see behind it.

Pooky
November 24th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Oh, it would be completely pointless and aesthetic, but would it be possible to set up the waterfall to give people white screen flashes, and simulate the visor steam in metroid prime?

odseraphim
November 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
the ice beam is pretty powerful on isolation O_o
tbh, I think you need to reduce the number of times it can bounce to avoid spammage (which happens alot in large games of isolation slayer).

the wave beam doesn't seem that powerfull too :S

also, on Talon IV, the vine things that hang from one of the rocks that make the steps are only visible on 1 side.
It's not an Ice Beam. Our mod does not HAVE an Ice Beam, and if you've ever played any Metroid, you'd know it acts NOTHING like the Ice Beam. It's our custom beam, the Havoc Beam. Please try to maintain comprehension between these two from now on, since it's been said at least 20 times in this thread alone.

The wave beam is just as powerful/balanced as the other beams.

Welcome to the world of scenery: it's a piece of Halo scenery, it only has one side to it.

Oh, it would be completely pointless and aesthetic, but would it be possible to set up the waterfall to give people white screen flashes, and simulate the visor steam in metroid prime?

Yes. Are we? No.
I really don't think you guys are going to see that version of Tallon IV for awhile, since it would make more sense for us to get a version that actually represents the real area in the game. That, and, it'd be nice if we didn't use Halo textures and Halo scenery all over the map to fill it in.

I might revise my stance on that, but I'd like to think we could release something in the maps department that actually is worthy of the mod we've worked so hard to create.

Syuusuke
November 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Needs more Server (No one can join my dedi for some reason).

Huero
November 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Needs more rebalancing. Although I did notice that charging the wave beam and then destroying them with the fire beam is a great combo :3

n00b1n8R
November 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
pardon me oh lord odseraphim, I didn't know that (I havn't used an ice-beam in an actual metroid game and that's what I was told it was :| )

Pooky
November 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
pardon me oh lord odseraphim, I didn't know that (I havn't used an ice-beam in an actual metroid game and that's what I was told it was :| )

Then maybe you should finish Super Metroid you twat.

Yes. Are we? No.

All the visor effects were the coolest thing about Metroid Prime, sad to see you shrug off an opportunity for more atmosphere so easily.

flibitijibibo
November 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but it appears that the top and bottom sections of the HUD are cut off on widescreen resolutions. I'll have screenshots of this tomorrow.

EDIT- Screenshot of 1280x768
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7991/1280768uu8.jpg

n00b1n8R
November 26th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Then maybe you should finish Super Metroid you twat.

then maybe I'M WORKING ON IT JEEZ <:mad:>

Co Redsonic
November 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Nice work you guys, great job! Loving it. Its so awesome I made a video of it. And I usually dont do that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bIQhKyTIaSg