PDA

View Full Version : W.I.P Halo 3 Magnum

Hunter
December 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I have started to model the Halo 3 magnum.

I think it is look pretty good so far, in this thread i am ready for the flames and i will try and take them as helpful tips, but dont start saying stuff like "It is fucking shit", just say that it needs work or something.

The main part i have worked on is the back bit, ignore the front part, it needs loads of work.

Image 1 (Wireframe below image)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render1-1.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render1_wireframe.png

Image 2 (Wireframe below image)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render2-1.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render2_wireframe.png

Image 3 Screenshot

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/screenshot1.png

Tweek
December 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM
try actually having somethign to post before you post.

it's not fucking shit, it's just not much.

right now, all im seeing is a block with some extrusions, and booleans and chamfers.

improving over the old trash you used to produce though.

Hunter
December 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks tweek. I havnt used extrude much i added vertexes and then put them in place and stuff like that to get the shape i wanted.

So far though do you think its any good, because i want to know if my modeling is improving.

And ive added a bit of detail.

termin8or123
December 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
You can't really tell if it's good or not yet. You have barely showed anything.

Tweek
December 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM
its a decent start, it's a bit boring atm, since you're only becelling square stuff.
there's nothing goin on there, but you're improving.

but srsly, dont post this stuff when theres NOTHIGN to show.
try actually having somethign to show before you come to show it off

this is comparable with posting a box when you're at the point of box-modelling a tank or something.

Hunter
December 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Ok. Thanks tweek.

ICEE
December 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM
looks decent. finish the rest of the gun though.

itszutak
December 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Isn't the H3 magnum the same shape and color as the halo 1 pistol? <_<;

Roostervier
December 8th, 2007, 10:51 PM
The nose of the gun (M6G) is a bit longer, tbh.

ICEE
December 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Also the magazine holds less rounds, and is accordingly smaller. The skinning is also somewhat different. It seems scratchier, a little bit lackluster.

Hunter
December 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I dont know if it is the same as the Halo 1 magnum, i havnt looked.

But i will probably be skinning it exactly like the H3 magnum, after i have learned how to UVW Unwrap, because im having trouble with doing it.

I have also made the H3 Longsword which is looks exactly the same because i used the Theater and aligned the camera so that the light aloud me to see the edge and were the points were and stuff.

But i cant UVW Unwrap it, anyone got a good tutorial?

Hurrvish
December 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Here (http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/24148/creating-a-weapon-for-source-part-2)

Xetsuei
December 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Halo 3 Pistol=Halo 1 Pistol w/ smaller clip and longer barrel.

p0lar_bear
December 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Xetsuei™;197832']Halo 3 Pistol=Halo 1 Pistol w/ smaller clip and longer barrel.

Also more details in the model and normal map; in H1, the skin has all of the detailing, and pretty much the only details there are the grip ridges on the slide. :eyesroll:

m13120
December 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Tbh I don't care much for all these Halo 3 weapons being remade in CE, especially the Halo 3 version of the pistol. I could give less a shit about how it looks or such things. I wouldn't play a map with a Halo 3 Pistol in it because like I said, I could care less how it looks, since it will look similar to the Halo 1 version, and it will play the same exact way as the regular Halo 1 Pistol is used in gameplay, or it could just make the gameplay worse. There is almost no possibility that the gameplay will be better.

ICEE
December 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Tbh I don't care much for all these Halo 3 weapons being remade in CE, especially the Halo 3 version of the pistol. I could give less a shit about how it looks or such things. I wouldn't play a map with a Halo 3 Pistol in it because like I said, I could care less how it looks, since it will look similar to the Halo 1 version, and it will play the same exact way as the regular Halo 1 Pistol is used in gameplay, or it could just make the gameplay worse. There is almost no possibility that the gameplay will be better.

Oh yeah? And an overpowered godpistol makes better gameplay? No, this pistol is far more balanced, however in CE with no duel wielding ability it will be useless. Now, if someone gave it a higher rate of fire than the halo 3 magnum, then yes I think it would be useful. 5 headshots with the same ROF as the halo 1 pistol would satisfy me, however the clip would also need to be larger. And are you overall implying that halo 1 has better gameplay than halo 3? If so, I disagree. Halo 3 has a poor melee system, but the weapons are more balanced than in halo 1, where the only weapons of use are the shotgun, pistol and sniper. In halo 3, it is plausible to get a kill with any weapon, and there isn't really a sense of "OMG I CANT BELIEVE I GOT KILLED BY (insert weapon here)!" because they're all fairly capable.

Xetsuei
December 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Also more details in the model and normal map; in H1, the skin has all of the detailing, and pretty much the only details there are the grip ridges on the slide. :eyesroll:

No one pays attention to that when playing :|

p0lar_bear
December 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
half of halo 3 is the pretty grafix :downs:

m13120
December 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah? And an overpowered godpistol makes better gameplay? No, this pistol is far more balanced, however in CE with no duel wielding ability it will be useless. Now, if someone gave it a higher rate of fire than the halo 3 magnum, then yes I think it would be useful. 5 headshots with the same ROF as the halo 1 pistol would satisfy me, however the clip would also need to be larger. And are you overall implying that halo 1 has better gameplay than halo 3? If so, I disagree. Halo 3 has a poor melee system, but the weapons are more balanced than in halo 1, where the only weapons of use are the shotgun, pistol and sniper. In halo 3, it is plausible to get a kill with any weapon, and there isn't really a sense of "OMG I CANT BELIEVE I GOT KILLED BY (insert weapon here)!" because they're all fairly capable.

The Halo 1 pistol is in no such way overpowered or godlike. The only people that I have ever heard say this are the people that do not actually know how to use it and complain everytime they are killed by it. Maybe you don't understand that it actually takes skill to use the pistol, it is far from noob friendly. And especially with this netcode? Now possibly if there was no lead for the pistol it would be overpowered, but it actually is balanced since there is lead. If you think the only weapons of use are the shotgun, pistol, and sniper, that is your own opinion. Whereas for me, yes, the pistol and sniper are my weapon of choice, but if I somehow do not have those, I use the closest weapon to me and use it. All weapons in halo 1 are capable as well, if you know how to use them. Besides, you're missing the point here that this WIP weapon, like many other WIPs, will probably never make it ingame. If he released a map called "Halo_3_BG" with this weapon, I wouldn't play it, nor would I play it if it came in some craposaurous map. The only reason I would play a map using this weapon was if it was not shitty nor some remake of a stock map, but it would also have to have all the other Halo 3 weapons in it. What is the point of putting a H3 weapon into a map if that is the only one in there? Most people that start making these sort of weapons will probably lose interest in it and stop working on it. And like I said earlier, I could care less about how the weapon looks. When playing I am not going to care how pretty the gun looks or how good its animations are, I'm going to care about killing the person attacking me. If the only change in the pistol is that it's going to be a little bit crappier, it is not needed. In any case, do you really think TLSHunter has the skill to make a H3 pistol that has the same physics, firing rate, etc as the H3 one? The chances are slim, along with everything else I mentioned, that is why I see no point in recreating it.

ICEE
December 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The Halo 1 pistol is in no such way overpowered or godlike. The only people that I have ever heard say this are the people that do not actually know how to use it and complain everytime they are killed by it. Maybe you don't understand that it actually takes skill to use the pistol, it is far from noob friendly. And especially with this netcode? Now possibly if there was no lead for the pistol it would be overpowered, but it actually is balanced since there is lead. If you think the only weapons of use are the shotgun, pistol, and sniper, that is your own opinion. Whereas for me, yes, the pistol and sniper are my weapon of choice, but if I somehow do not have those, I use the closest weapon to me and use it. All weapons in halo 1 are capable as well, if you know how to use them. Besides, you're missing the point here that this WIP weapon, like many other WIPs, will probably never make it ingame. If he released a map called "Halo_3_BG" with this weapon, I wouldn't play it, nor would I play it if it came in some craposaurous map. The only reason I would play a map using this weapon was if it was not shitty nor some remake of a stock map, but it would also have to have all the other Halo 3 weapons in it. What is the point of putting a H3 weapon into a map if that is the only one in there? Most people that start making these sort of weapons will probably lose interest in it and stop working on it. And like I said earlier, I could care less about how the weapon looks. When playing I am not going to care how pretty the gun looks or how good its animations are, I'm going to care about killing the person attacking me. If the only change in the pistol is that it's going to be a little bit crappier, it is not needed. In any case, do you really think TLSHunter has the skill to make a H3 pistol that has the same physics, firing rate, etc as the H3 one? The chances are slim, along with everything else I mentioned, that is why I see no point in recreating it.

I can to use the pistol. but it is no challenge to lead. every played halo 1 on the xbox? you don't NEED to lead, and thats how they intended it. If it didn't seem overpowered, even to bungie, why do you think they toned it down in halo 2 and 3? also, you lead me to believe that you absolutely nothing about modding when you say : "In any case, do you really think TLSHunter has the skill to make a H3 pistol that has the same physics, firing rate, etc as the H3 one?" your pessimistic attitude disturbs me. it is easy to change rate of fire and weapons power, though I don't know what your talking about when you say physics. if you mean the projectile physics, then thats easy to. I didn't intend to be flaming you when I made my post, but your insulting behavior towards TLShunter and your arrogance make it hard for me not to.

m13120
December 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I can to use the pistol. but it is no challenge to lead. every played halo 1 on the xbox? you don't NEED to lead, and thats how they intended it. If it didn't seem overpowered, even to bungie, why do you think they toned it down in halo 2 and 3? also, you lead me to believe that you absolutely nothing about modding when you say : "In any case, do you really think TLSHunter has the skill to make a H3 pistol that has the same physics, firing rate, etc as the H3 one?" your pessimistic attitude disturbs me. it is easy to change rate of fire and weapons power, though I don't know what your talking about when you say physics. if you mean the projectile physics, then thats easy to. I didn't intend to be flaming you when I made my post, but your insulting behavior towards TLShunter and your arrogance make it hard for me not to.

I have played Halo 1 on the Xbox before, and I think it is harder to play on there especially since you are using a controller. On the PC however, if everyone had no lead at all, that is what I would call unbalanced since it would take almost no skill to shoot someone in the head. Yes in Halo 2 they did tone it down, but they also brought up the BR which is most people say the pistol's replacement. This is the internet, I don't care if my attitude disturbs you and I very much don't care if you flame me. I will gladly change my opinion of TLSHunter if he does complete this weapon and does an actual good job of it. You say changing the way the gun works is easy, it may very well be easy, but I wonder if it is easy to make it precise and accurate. Like I said, if TLSHunter actually follows through with this weapon and does a good job, I will change my opinion of him. But until that time, I keep my statement.

Tweek
December 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
shut the hell up about comparing how awesome uber the Halo1 pistol and whatnot is.
stop derailing the thread.

you just filled a whole page with offtopic rambling that's been posted a billion times before.

ICEE
December 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Tweek is right. I'm done arguing about this. I want to see this magnum done, and I hope you (tlshunter) are going to animate it. Giving it bungie's pistol anims or cmt's released pistol anims would be lame. If you can't animate, I'd be willing to help with that.

Xetsuei
December 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
The Halo 1 pistol is in no such way overpowered or godlike. The only people that I have ever heard say this are the people that do not actually know how to use it and complain everytime they are killed by it. Maybe you don't understand that it actually takes skill to use the pistol, it is far from noob friendly.

You don't know how wrong you are. :|

Disaster
December 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Xetsueiâ„¢;198009']You don't know how wrong you are. :|

thank you ^ sums it all now stop spamming this thread...

JDMFSeanP
December 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Haha, wow you spam yourself saying that wasting space.

Looks pretty good to me, not much to show yet though as Tweek said, certainly look better than your normal.

Disaster
December 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
lol anyways yeah dont post something that early in stage..but it does look good

Pooky
December 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Haha, wow you spam yourself saying that wasting space.

I used to think posts like that were to a degree hypocritical until I realised if no one says shut up they just keep on going.

As for the model, it looks like you have a passable grasp of the Pistol's shape, at least.

ICEE
December 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I used to think posts like that were to a degree hypocritical until I realised if no one says shut up they just keep on going.

As for the model, it looks like you have a passable grasp of the Pistol's shape, at least. more like a grasp of the front and back of the pistol :)

Hunter
December 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
OK, ive finished it off. Need any improvements?
Image 1

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render3-1.png

Image 2

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render4-1.png

Image 3

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render5-1.png

Image 4

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render6.png

Image 5

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render9.png

WireFrame 1

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render7_wireframe.png

WireFrame 2

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render8_wireframe.png

Image 6

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/render10.png

Tweek
December 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
mewh, looks pretty good. ill leave the final word to the real gun-fanatics like snaf and lieuki though.

Hunter
December 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ok, thanks tweek, im actualy really proud of it lol. I could of probobly added more detail, i will see what everyone else says.

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 12:04 PM
What you have so far is good.

If the entire gun turns out as well as these few pieces Id expect it to be pretty bitchin.

EDIT: Oooh, didnt notice you had the full thing done.

Looks okay, but the barrel part looks a bit funny.

t3h m00kz
December 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
OK, ive finished it off. Need any improvements?
(ETC)

OMFG. That's awesome, good job, and +rep.

I have played Halo 1 on the Xbox before, and I think it is harder to play on there especially since you are using a controller.
qqbd8UkQ
1:14.

Hunter
December 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM
awsome thanks, yay people lyk it :D lol

p0lar_bear
December 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I see some nearly coplanars here and there, but other than that, pretty darn good.

Hunter
December 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
K, How do i fix coplanars P0lar_bear?

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
K, How do i fix coplanars P0lar_bear?

You dont really need to.

But if you want to, from what I heard from some error fixing tutorial a while ago, a coplanar triangle, is a big triangle touching a bunch of little ones.

Think triangle rape and then youll remember what they are!

Tweek
December 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
coplanar faces don't matter dick. i'm tired of people mentioning them.
besides the fact theyre an indicator that you can propably poptimise away one or two triangles, nobody cares, unless your name is tool.exe, wich it's not.

also non-planer faces dont matter much as long as you cut them properly.

ICEE
December 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Are you using photobucket? Photobucket and I have been at war for a while now, and all of a sudden I cant see the pics... I'd really like to especially since everyone says they're so great/acceptable.
Think maybe you can send them to me via xfire?

DrunkenSamus
December 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Are you using photobucket? Photobucket and I have been at war for a while now, and all of a sudden I cant see the pics... I'd really like to especially since everyone says they're so great/acceptable.
Think maybe you can send them to me via xfire?

Then why is the link in your sig Photobucket? I guess Photobucket likes dogs...

ICEE
December 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
well I uploaded that image when it let me. For some reason there are periods when I cant access photobucket at all, but sometimes I can.

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM
besides the fact theyre an indicator that you can propably poptimise away one or two triangles, nobody cares, unless your name is tool.exe, wich it's not.

also non-planer faces dont matter much as long as you cut them properly.

Well if you have a lot of spare time....Then go right ahead and get tool to stop bitching, but as tweek said, you dont need to really bother.

Disaster
December 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
nice work hunter

p0lar_bear
December 11th, 2007, 12:16 AM

I bring them up because on the untextured mesh, they stick out. It bugs me a bit. If they go away with a skin, then I'm not too worried.

Also, I once had a problem in a map with some nearly-coplanars. I had a building with some NCPs on one side of it, and though it looked OK in a max render, in-game the smoothing was all sorts of fucked up.

SnaFuBAR
December 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
really ugly non-planars in the back of the slide that WON'T go away with a skin, a lot of bad mesh around the grip and poor smoothing. really simple shapes that should stay planar very easily are messed up, and you didn't smooth around the barrel. is the hole for the clip modeled? it should be, otherwise reloads are going to look really stupid.

after that... image 1 is just plain retarded because first of all... why the hell is a shell coming out of the gun instead of just a bullet? secondly, no recoil? thirdly, no slide in action?

that's all i could think of for now. though this isn't passable as a quality model, it's higher quality than your usual landfill content models. keep practicing.

Hunter
December 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
:(, you had to go and spoil it didnt you lol. jk. This will help me improove. I have fixed those errors as much as i can now, im trying to texture it now lol. I have UVW Unwraped it, well part of it, im making the texture at 2048 by 2048. So it will be good quality if i can make some good textures. I could do with a tutorial on how to make the edges seem worn on the metal.

SnaFuBAR
December 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
www.sourceblog.org sign up there.

ICEE
December 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
now that I can see the pics for some reason, I have to say that I'm impressed. It looks really good, and I only notice one nonplanar

Flyboy
December 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
The magazine needs some work. There are screws on the top and bottom as well as other details that I can't remember off the top of my head. And like Snaf said you don't have a slide.

Reaper Man
December 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with snaf, also the bullet is unnecessarily high poly, you're not going to see it for more than a second, it's kind of pointless to have it so detailed.

Hunter
December 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM
What slide? if you mean were it slides back then you need to look at the Halo 3 magnum when it firers in 1st person. It slides back to eject the empty round.

DrunkenSamus
December 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I agree with snaf, also the bullet is unnecessarily high poly, you're not going to see it for more than a second, it's kind of pointless to have it so detailed.

Unless your the kind of guy that likes bullet casings flying out of the gun and making tingling noises when hitting the floor.

Me.

Hunter
December 14th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Ok, im completely failing at this texture stuff. is their anyone who will texture it for me, they will have the credit for the texture (of course).

DANO or someone like that, i need the texture to look exactly the same as the Halo 3 texture. Please.

[Edit]
I was mistaken lol, for my first texture i think this is pretty darn good. I have just textured the little red bit at the back, the rest of th metal is the background metal, with the guide over the top.

I know that this looks nothing like the halo 3 magnum, im just getting used to texturing, what do you all think?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Render_texture1.png
p.s. i know there is a UV stretched.

[Update]
Do the edges that look warn look ok?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Render_texture2.png

TPE
December 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
WAY too dark. It does not look like the H2 Magnum. Its supposed to be a scratched dull silver.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/TPE_NS/12685667-Full.jpg
Basically

Flyboy
December 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
He just said it looks nothing like it. Give him a break. I actually think it looks really good. Of course because I'm a noob moron I can't say my opinion here seeing as I have no idea what the difference between crap and art is. That would be blasphemy.

SMASH
December 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
He just said it looks nothing like it. Give him a break. I actually think it looks really good. Of course because I'm a noob moron I can't say my opinion here seeing as I have no idea what the difference between crap and art is. That would be blasphemy.

Nah, people just don't like you *sarcasm*.

Despite the texture being inaccurate, it isn't a bad texture, that is if you want to give the gun a different look than the H3 one...

As well, make the red on the back more solid, you can see the scratches underneath and it looks weird. As well on the inside of those ridges the UV is skewed a bit and there are a couple WTF scratches that look like someone took the pencil tool in paint to you texture.

But, like I said, it's a nice texture, but inaccurate.

Donut
December 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM
why are you making the texture 2048x2048? i understand getting the details in but that will compile to be around 6 or 7 megs.

TPE
December 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
He just said it looks nothing like it. Give him a break. I actually think it looks really good. Of course because I'm a noob moron I can't say my opinion here seeing as I have no idea what the difference between crap and art is. That would be blasphemy.I was being pretty soft.

Sure the texture looks nice but its in the wrong direction completely (Not literally). You really don't need dano or anybody to help you. Your texture is really good but just the wrong color. Also I think the "red thing" is not extruded out, i think its extruded in. Though i haven't played H3 in about a week.

Roostervier
December 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Actually, the texture doesn't look good. Looks like you whored clone stamping tbqh. :\

Also, the worn edges don't look right at all. Try making them seem sharper (not so wavy) and maybe in the blending options add a metallic looking pattern and mess with the actual blending options (opacity, etc.).

e: And besides all of that, it's all one single color with that clone stamp on it. It doesn't give off any more details. And, aside from your lighting, I could guess that the metal part is probably greyscale. Try to add in subtle colors on low opacity, like red, green, orange, or even purple. It really all depends on your desired look.

SnaFuBAR
December 15th, 2007, 12:03 AM
that texture is horrible. anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what to look for.

itszutak
December 15th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Unless your the kind of guy that likes bullet casings flying out of the gun and making tingling noises when hitting the floor.

Me.

A sprite is used for that. Two polys.

NuggetWarmer
December 15th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Gak! I wish I had noticed this before. Your grip is too big. It's supposed to be skinny. Like this one:
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/foxymccloud/2086056032_418e3c687c.jpg

Hunter
December 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM
WTF, were is that reference from? because it is not that skinny on the game! lol.

Disaster
December 15th, 2007, 09:01 AM
lol...that reference for the handle is probably wrong hunter if you have xfire ill get you all the pics of the gun ingame

Hunter
December 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Im ok thanks disaster, because i have the game. lol.

Disaster
December 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
ok nvm then