PDA

View Full Version : Explorer and Rundll32 constantly crashing?

Timo
December 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I turned my computer on and popped a DVD that was recorded from a standalone DVD writer, and now Explorer.exe and RunDll32 (I think) are both constantly crashing and restarting. So I decided to start up in safemode to see if I could run a virus scan, but explorer was still crashing about 3 seconds after it started up. Any ideas? I'm running Vista, and haven't had any problem until now :|

Edit: I'm not sure if the DVD caused it, it probably hasn't, but it's pretty strange that this would start to happen when I stuck it in.

Archon23
December 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Sounds like something that happened to me a little while back. Explorer.exe just kept dieing. In the end I just use the Task Manager to do all my program opening :\. Most of the time it kinda went away on its own somehow.

Though this was on XP so I don't know what'll happen on Vista.

Timo
December 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Well I tried a system restore, but even that didn't seem to fix the problem. In safe mode explorer seems to be pretty stable now though, but as soon as I start opening folders or trying to delete files it has a fit and turns off and on every ten seconds for a few minutes, then is back to normal. Actually it's sometimes fine when I delete a file, but whenever I attempt to delete a .vob movie file on my desktop, explorer crashes (could be the file or the fact that it's 1GB).

legionaire45
December 8th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Try running a repair install (http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm) on it and seeing if that fixes anything.

Timo
December 8th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Well it was the .VOB file on my desktop - I had to go through command prompt to delete it :|. Thanks for the help.