PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service pack 1 RC1 To the public.

beele
December 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
A few days ago I took note of the first service pack for vista going to RC stage for the big public.

Here's a list of changes (most of them) that will be made by it. Quite Impressive I must admit.

Adds support for new UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) industry standard PC firmware for 64-bit systems with functional parity with legacy BIOS firmware, which allows Windows Vista SP1 to install to GPT format disks, boot and resume from hibernate using UEFI firmware.
Adds support for Direct3D® 10.1, an update to Direct3D 10 that extends the API to support new hardware features, enabling 3D application and game developers to make more complete and efficient use of the upcoming generations of graphics hardware.
Adds support for exFAT, a new file system supporting larger overall capacity and larger files, which will be used in Flash memory storage and consumer devices.
Adds support for SD Advanced DMA (ADMA) on compliant SD standard host controllers. This new transfer mechanism, which is expected to be supported in SD controllers soon, will improve transfer performance and decrease CPU utilization.
Adds support for creating a single DVD media that boots on PCs with either BIOS or EFI.

Enhances support for high density drives by adding new icons and labels that will identify HD-DVD and Blu-ray Drives as high density drives.
Enhances the MPEG-2 decoder to support content protection across a user accessible bus on Media Center systems configured with Digital Cable Tuner hardware. This also effectively enables higher levels of hardware decoder acceleration for commercial DVD playback on some hardware.

SP1 addresses issues many of the most common causes of crashes and hangs in Windows Vista, as reported by Windows Error Reporting. These include issues relating to Windows Calendar, Windows Media Player, and a number of drivers included with Windows Vista.

An improved SRT (Startup Repair Tool), which is part of the Windows Recovery environment (WinRE), can now fix PCs unbootable due to certain missing OS files.

Improves the performance of browsing network file shares by consuming less bandwidth.
Improves power consumption when the display is not changing by allowing the processor to remain in its sleep state which consumes less energy.

Improves power consumption and battery life by addressing an issue that causes a hard disk to continue spinning when it should spin down, in certain circumstances.
Improves the speed of adding and extracting files to and from a compressed (zipped) folder.
Significantly improves the speed of moving a directory with many files underneath.
Improves performance while copying files using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).

25% faster when copying files locally on the same disk on the same machine
45% faster when copying files from a remote non-Windows Vista system to a SP1 system
50% faster when copying files from a remote SP1 system to a local SP1 system
Improves responsiveness when doing many kinds of file or media manipulations. For example, with Windows Vista today, copying files after deleting a different set of files can make the copy operation take longer than needed. In SP1, the file copy time is the same as if no files were initially deleted.

Improves the copy progress estimation when copying files within Windows Explorer to about two seconds.
Improves the time to read large images by approximately 50%.

Improves IE performance on certain Jscript intensive websites, bringing performance in line with previous IE releases.
Improves the effectiveness of a Windows ReadyBoost™ device in reducing the time to resume from standby and hibernate by increasing the amount of data stored in the ReadyBoost device that can be used during a resume cycle.
Includes improvements to Windows Superfetch™ that help to further improve resume times, in many environments.
Improves the time to resume from standby for a certain class of USB Hubs by approximately 18%.
Improves overall media performance by reducing many glitches.
SP1 includes Secure Development Lifecycle process updates, where Microsoft identifies the root cause of each security bulletin and improves our internal tools to eliminate code patterns that could lead to future vulnerabilities.

Enhanced the BitLocker encryption support to volumes other than bootable volumes in Windows Vista (for Enterprise and Ultimate SKUs).
Adds full support for the latest IEEE draft of 802.11n wireless networking.
Allows users and administrators to control which volumes the disk defragmenter runs on.
Allows users and administrators using Network Diagnostics to solve the most common file sharing problems, not just network connection problems.

Enables support for hotpatching, a reboot-reduction servicing technology designed to maximize uptime. It works by allowing Windows components to be updated (or "patched") while they are still in use by a running process. Hotpatch-enabled update packages are installed via the same methods as traditional update packages, and will not trigger a system reboot.
Improves OS deployment by enabling 64-bit versions of Windows Vista to be installed from a 32-bit OS. This will allow IT professionals to maintain just a single WinPE image.

Improves overall install time for updates by optimizing the query for installed OS updates.
SP1 includes a number of changes which allow computer manufacturers and consumers to select a default desktop search program similar to the way they currently select defaults for third-party web browsers and media players.
With SP1, Windows Vista will report the amount of system memory installed rather than report the amount of system memory available to the OS.

SP1 reduces the number of UAC (User Account Control) prompts from 4 to 1 when creating or renaming a folder at a protected location. FINALLY!
Improvements in the Licensing User Interface and User Experience including more details in the help about activation and what happens if user does not activate; more detailed and descriptive dialog text; raw error codes replaced with easily comprehensible text.
SP1 modifies the text in the Ultimate Extras Control Panel to describe the Ultimate Extras program in more general terms.
While not reflected in the initial release candidate this week, we will also be making changes effective with SP1 in how we differentiate the experience customers have using non-genuine versions of our software. This is based on feedback we heard from volume license customers in particular as part of our Windows Genuine Advantage program.

Also coming with SP1 but not in the current release candidate, we will also be including updates that deal with two exploits we have seen, which can affect system stability for our customers. The OEM Bios exploit, which involves modifying system files and the BIOS of the motherboard to mimic a type of product activation performed on copies of Windows that are pre-installed by OEMs in the factory. The Grace Timer exploit, which attempts to reset the “grace time” limit between installation and activation to something like the year 2099 in some cases.

I'm downloading it right now, I'll keep you guys posted.

32BIT
Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BE34577A-E925-48FB-9D6D-50FE9461F808&displaylang=en

64BIT
Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=nl&FamilyID=c21c3978-3b7d-4d64-873b-3c9d26982d7a

:eng101: Take note: This is a release candidate and is not a final product.
EDIT:And now no more -reps for there being no 64 bit.

Patrickssj6
December 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I might consider getting it now...also why did you "LMAO" @ IE? IE startup is way faster than Firefox and if you disable all add-ons it remains that fast.

(FF fan boys don't kill me, I have Firefox myself ^^)

Kornman00
December 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Vista on Mac = gold. Stop buying those lame ass PCs and using that "XP" bullshit.

beele
December 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
My bad. I copied the changes from a site (forgot to remove that).

Fixed :)

BTW: Installing 50% done (fingers crossed)

Zeph
December 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Vista on Mac = gold. Stop buying those lame ass PCs and using that "XP" bullshit.

Enjoying your crap mid-range video card?

Patrickssj6
December 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I bet he masturbates to his illuminated Apple at the back of his laptop.

beele
December 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Just finished the installation. Seems a lot more responsive.

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cool. I'm downloading this. 5% already!!1

Phopojijo
December 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Also coming with SP1 but not in the current release candidate, we will also be including updates that deal with two exploits we have seen, which can affect system stability for our customers. The OEM Bios exploit, which involves modifying system files and the BIOS of the motherboard to mimic a type of product activation performed on copies of Windows that are pre-installed by OEMs in the factory. The Grace Timer exploit, which attempts to reset the “grace time” limit between installation and activation to something like the year 2099 in some cases.

Hah. Hah. "Which can affect system stability for our customers".

In non PR terms -- pirates had the same system security as our customers... we fixed that XD

Cortexian
December 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm only going to download it if I can update to the full version when it's released...

EDIT: Have to uninstall this before I can upgrade, no build-to-build updates...

Syuusuke
December 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
WTF how do I NOT have enough space for thi-

Oh...4gb of free space.

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Alright, I just installed it. I want to notice a difference, like an uber huge speed increase, but I really can't notice one off the bat. I guess tomorrow, if we have a delay (5 inches of snow they're calling for over here in maryland) I'll pump up the graphics on some games and see hwo many FPS I can get.

EDIT: WHAT?! 4GB of space?! *checks HD space* oshit, I have 9.41GB left on my crappy 80GB HD.

Kornman00
December 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thats funny, seeing as how I can say (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/14/the_geforce_7900gs_is_nvidias_new_mid-range/) the same thing to you too. Don't you have people to warn or something instead of /wrist'ing to the fact that you chose a Dell over a Mac?

I bet he masturbates to his illuminated Apple at the back of his laptop.
No, my laptop's screen is barely ever closed. Thus, can't fap. I bet you fap to your VB6 code though.

Syuusuke
December 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Alright, I just installed it. I want to notice a difference, like an uber huge speed increase, but I really can't notice one off the bat. I guess tomorrow, if we have a delay (5 inches of snow they're calling for over here in maryland) I'll pump up the graphics on some games and see hwo many FPS I can get.

EDIT: WHAT?! 4GB of space?! *checks HD space* oshit, I have 9.41GB left on my crappy 80GB HD.

I meant I had 4gb of free space...and it requires 6 gb of free space, even better!

TPE
December 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Imma vent a bit.

Fuck you windows for wasting 2 hours of my time (30 min downloading, 1 and 1/2 hour installing)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/TPE_NS/datsmywow.jpg

paladin
December 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM
It took and hour and one half to down load? I downloaded it in the time of reading the posts in this thread.

TPE
December 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Other way around.

30 Minutes to download.

paladin
December 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Still, It took all of 3 minutes for me. I feel bad for you :)

TPE
December 12th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Ever since comcast replaced my cable line when a tree took it out in a lol-huge wind storm. It's probably gone down at least 5 MBPS.

beele
December 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I'm running it for about a day now, and i mis say that I'm impressed by it. shutdown is finally fast and the whole OS is more responsive. Haven't tried any games yet due to school.

korori
December 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Dude this is great it fixed my problem with Windows Restarting Randomly. I knew it was M$ not me. :)

Flyboy
December 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
64 bit installer?

beele
December 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM
64 bit installer?

Et voila http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=nl&FamilyID=c21c3978-3b7d-4d64-873b-3c9d26982d7a

You might want to change the language to your computer language.

EDIT: First page updated.

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Has enyone noticed much difference? Cuz I haven't. Later I'm going to try alt-tabbing out of some different games to see how quick I can get back to my desktop. Idk, maybe it'll be faster.

Wakeboy1337
December 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Downloading 64 bit installer now.

Any Idea How long I should expect it to take to install after its downloaded?

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Bout an hour, or more.

But you can still use your computer in that time. I wouldn't do any heavy-duty gaming or anything, maybe just watch some youtube or browse the forums until it shuts down on you to finish the updates.

343guiltymc
December 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM
29 minutes remaining, at 314 KB/sec. Lame.

TPE
December 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I came back from school today to see that vista BSOD'd (not too rare) and when it booted back up it told me a file was missing or corrupt.

I don't even want to atempt a repair install because I know that never works because it always says "Could not find any problems preventing windows to start." then I usually end up reformatting.

yay for 6th time now.

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hey, I just noticed the first difference. Instead of displaying 0.99 GB of RAM, it actually says 1.00GB. Yey! Everyone with 32-bit vista, 4GB of RAM and this update, check and see how much RAM it displays, it might say 4GB! :D

jahrain
December 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
What, they didn't fix the "I'm going to randomly eat up most of your memory and make your system completely in-responsive allot, even while not running any applications if you are using less than 2gb of ram" issue? Or the "I'm going make games stutter most of the time because I am going to constantly be writing things to and from the system virtual memory" issue? Or at least make those issues fixable by disabling each and every new windows feature. As it stands right now, every time I disable some features in vista, such as ready boost, and aero, the computer ends up using more memory than before, even after re-enabling them.

TPE
December 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Its not entirely vista's fault. I mean the drivers for vista are HORRIBLE. Its been a year and developers are still stuck in the mud with trying to make drivers. It could be vista's fault for making the drivers hard to make. Hell I always run my GPU without drivers and I get about a 25 FPS boost in HPC. Though when I run it without drivers .wmv files have a weird mixed color pixel distortion.

Anyway I popped in my vista disk and of coarse it does not want to fix it. It was also cause by me installing sony vegas on my vista partition. Thats one more reason why I hate sony.

jahrain
December 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Its not entirely vista's fault. I mean the drivers for vista are HORRIBLE. Its been a year and developers are still stuck in the mud with trying to make drivers. It could be vista's fault for making the drivers hard to make. Hell I always run my GPU without drivers and I get about a 25 FPS boost in HPC. Though when I run it without drivers .wmv files have a weird mixed color pixel distortion.

FPS in games are acceptable on my hardware (7600go) but could be better like in xp. The problem is the stuttering. It happens periodically, every time windows wants to read and write from the virtual memory while playing games. The more ram you have, the less frequent it happens. With 1gb of ram, most new games are completely unplayable in vista because of this stuttering. For me, the framerate stutters about every 0.5 - 2 seconds. It just slows down or freezes then goes back up to speed. however, what is disturbing is that fps counters don't pick up the stutter, and in fact report and constant smooth fps during the shutters. But visually, it looks nothing like a constant smooth fps. I doubt this is video driver related, it has to do with the OS's virtual memory handling. Even the worse drivers on XP doesn't give me this problem.

TPE
December 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Oh I didn't take the time to read your specs in your sig, I thought you had a better PC.

Once I went to 1.5 Gb of ram the shuttering was reduced signifigantly from 1 GB of ram but not completly. HPC its really bad when I go to aim. Any other game its unoticeable such as WoW.

jahrain
December 13th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The specs in my sig is my desktop PC. Which is running XP. The computer I was referring to is my laptop which has vista.

paladin
December 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Et voila http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=nl&FamilyID=c21c3978-3b7d-4d64-873b-3c9d26982d7a

You might want to change the language to your computer language.

EDIT: First page updated.

Ahh Vielen Dank! Alles auf Deutsch jetzt!

kenney001
December 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Ich moechte es, aber Ich kann es nicht installieren. Ich habe es nicht verkauft, und es verhindert die Hacke von Paradox. Microsoft verdammt!!!!!

-Ich habe mich keinen Platz zu beklagen :(

-correct me if my German is wrong Bitte!

Kornman00
December 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hey, I just noticed the first difference. Instead of displaying 0.99 GB of RAM, it actually says 1.00GB. Yey! Everyone with 32-bit vista, 4GB of RAM and this update, check and see how much RAM it displays, it might say 4GB! :D
Biggest memory hog I have running is firefox, which IMO, seems to suffer from a profound memory leak. I think you should test that number out by closing ALL (read: ALL) running applications\taskbars to see what VISTA is actually using.

Oh I didn't take the time to read your specs in your sig, I thought you had a better PC.

Once I went to 1.5 Gb of ram the shuttering was reduced signifigantly from 1 GB of ram but not completly. HPC its really bad when I go to aim. Any other game its unoticeable such as WoW.
Why the HELL are you running on Ultimate, not to mention, on that shitty setup :|. Also, get firefox so you can l2spell.

In fact, that should be America's new education tool. Firefox.

I'm running VistaHP on a Mac and its working out great so far. I've had no real issues with the OS itself since I installed it over a year ago and I plan on installing SP1 once it is ready for mass release.
Maybe you guys should just stop buying shit setups and thinking smart about what setups actually communicate well within? Seems to me its always a hardware issue tbh...

Patrickssj6
December 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Biggest memory hog I have running is firefox, which IMO, seems to suffer from a profound memory leak.

Same here.

Ich moechte es, aber Ich kann es nicht installieren. Ich habe es nicht verkauft, und es verhindert die Hacke von Paradox. Microsoft verdammt!!!!!
-Ich habe mich keinen Platz zu beklagen :(
-correct me if my German is wrong Bitte!
It's horrible.

(Ich habe es nicht verkauft, und es verhindert die Hacke von Paradox.) wth does that mean?
"I didn't see it and it refuses the heel by Paradox. Exile Microsoft. "

beele
December 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Alright here are some results after a few days of testing it.

Faster boot
Much faster shutdown
Overall more responsive
Around 100-200 MB less memory usage
Less stuttering in gamesThat are the improvements on MY system. Anyone else had these? :)

flibitijibibo
December 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey, I just noticed the first difference. Instead of displaying 0.99 GB of RAM, it actually says 1.00GB. Yey! Everyone with 32-bit vista, 4GB of RAM and this update, check and see how much RAM it displays, it might say 4GB! :DO RLY? Finally, I can use all 4! Downloading now. I'll update this to confirm your theory...

EDIT- Holy shit, it's true. I can use all 4GB nows!

EDIT AGAIN- Wait, noes... I now realize that its just Windows acknowledging the fact that I have a crapload of RAM. Task Manager is still going "LOL 2.75GB RAM".

0m3g4Muff1n987
December 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Idk if it'll work, so don't blame me for that, but it raised the memory that 0.01% on mine. 4GB is a lot more, and there was a lot more missing, so idk if it'll work but you can see.

FF is a memory hog? Oh. I should close that while playing game then :x

jahrain
December 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
This video speaks for kornman:
YqWOBpR_YsA

Kornman00
December 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
fucking PC, always trying to get 'ol Big Mac in troubles :-/

Flyboy
December 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I notice a HUGE difference in games with this thing. Everything else is normal.

paladin
December 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2389/50865166ue2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^ Is that supposed to appear when you install the update? If not, what the fuck did you make me download.

Roostervier
December 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, if you downloaded and read the file directly above the actual file, it states that that appears. The sp1 rc1 only works until July 30th. By then though, the service pack should be released.

StankBacon
December 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
mine doesnt say that...

Chewy Gumball
December 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Idk if it'll work, so don't blame me for that, but it raised the memory that 0.01% on mine. 4GB is a lot more, and there was a lot more missing, so idk if it'll work but you can see.

if you read the notes you would find that the amount of ram is no different. Vista just shows you how much you have installed now, rather than what was available to be used by the os.

"With SP1, Windows Vista will report the amount of system memory installed rather than report the amount of system memory available to the OS."

Roostervier
December 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM
mine doesnt say that...
It should if you reboot for a second time, which it mentions in the little readme thing I spoke of.

paladin
December 14th, 2007, 09:16 PM
kk, thank you.

Chizzle110
December 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
yeah im having problems installing this the bar just stays half filled.

someone help me

StankBacon
December 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
yeah im having problems installing this the bar just stays half filled.

someone help me

wait longer, it stays in the middle for a long time.

343guiltymc
December 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
wait longer, it stays in the middle for a long time.
Yeah, it took 1 hour to move on for me.

Chizzle110
December 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
oh no i got a error. same as the other guy (im too lazy to say)
EDIT: can someone help me?

TPE
December 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
What kind of error did you get? If it failed to install just try it again.

How to get rid of the water mark. (http://vista.blorge.com/2007/12/13/how-to-remove-evaluation-copy-watermark-from-vista-sp1-beta/)

beele
December 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Make sure you disable your anti-virus software.

Chizzle110
December 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
i got the same error as u TPE the one with 800something

EDIT: omg the stupid error keeps coming up. its never gonna install wtf.

EDIT2: Is there any update i have to download for this service pack?

EDIT3: SUCESS. =))))))))) IT INSTALLED WOOT.

paladin
December 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
What kind of error did you get? If it failed to install just try it again.

How to get rid of the water mark. (http://vista.blorge.com/2007/12/13/how-to-remove-evaluation-copy-watermark-from-vista-sp1-beta/)

Thanks!

oh no i got a error. same as the other guy (im too lazy to say)
EDIT: can someone help me?

First, I would make sure you downloaded the correct version. Like me, I tried to install the 32-bit version on my 64-bit OS, so when it was all said and done, after an hour, it read, error e78, which wasn't even in the help file.

Syuusuke
December 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Man, I was installing this and my computer decided to reboot for no reason, thus causing a file to be missing (or corrupt) and I had to go back on my XP partition (thankfully I still had it) and reinstalled Vista...I don't think I want to go through that again...but I might =)

TPE
December 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Lolz

I reinstalled vista and its nothing but error after error. Almost as if it's corrupt. Meh. I honestly have no problem reformatting. Its just it takes so much time. :smithicide: